The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Invisible mirror edges (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joderijck
View Profile
New user
Belgium
14 Posts

Profile of joderijck
I am working hard on making a mirror completely invisible for the moment. The hard part are the edges... It for an effect where the mirrors float in mid air, let say its work a million dollars Smile
I heard there are inox mirrors where you don't have the thick visible edge but they reflect less well. Are there other ways to have mirrors without the visible glass edge?
jeffl
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of jeffl
You probably ought to be looking primarily at "first-surface" mirrors because the thick edge is primarily the result of secondary reflection. The most faithful first-surface mirrors are on a glass substrate but they can be pretty expensive and heavy, and all these materials get more expensive with thickness which may be necessary to counteract warping and the resultant distortion of the image. Other materials would be aluminized mylar film (applied over a flat, stiff backing), aluminized acrylic sheet or stainless steel (there may be others but these come to mind). All of these surfaces can exhibit their own "artifacts" and you'll probably have to experiment with your actual lighting to see what results you can get for what you want to spend. You also may need to bevel the edge away from the front if you're trying to avoid seeing the mechanical edge (to make it somewhat more angle-proof). Good luck.
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
742 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
I have had good luck with mirrors with beveled edges.
You may want to check that out.
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
I have seen flat black paint feathering the edges of a m in a m box. It blended into the fabric and totally blocked the edge blue of glass that could otherwise be seen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Invisible mirror edges (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL