The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Squircle - Geometrick and Black hole combined (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
I recently got curious about two somewhat similar Tenyo tricks (I don't own any of them yet), called Geometrick and Black Hole. After some thinking, I came up with a trick that could be seen as a combination of these tricks, but it isn't identical to any of them.

So I present to you the trick that I've called Squircle. Here are some images:

The name is of course a wordplay on square and circle, and as you can see from the images, the card changes from having a circular hole to a square hole according to which of the "impression blocks" are attached to the device. These blocks are of course also sized to fit inside the appropriate hole in the card.

You can also see that the device has a hole in the middle, and this hole has a shape that can be seen as being a square that is in the process of being transformed to a circle (or vice versa). The card can of course be seen through this hole as it is inserted into the device, and the performer can change the shape of the hole in the card by attaching the appropriate "impression block" on the outside.

As you can see the "squircle" shape is repeated several places, and I'm quite pleased with how this turned out. I've also made a short video of it, which you can see here:

Direct link to video if embedding fails to load: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2orVgSfBZ0A
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Looks very good mroek! Actually more deceptive than the original Tenyo version. The name squircle is used by a fairly well known paper tearing effect... https://tricksupply.com/product/squircle-ken-brooke/ as an fyi.

Cheers,

John
mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
Thanks! I wasn't aware that the name had been used for a different trick, but I'm not sure it's much of an issue. I don't plan on marketing and selling this, it was more a fun exercise in creating a "new" trick.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I love it mroek. I wish you would sell it. I love the design of your props. You have a unique style that is different from other micro-magic creators.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Can all the props be examined?
mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
No, not really. The red blocks and the card(s) are examinable, but not the device itself. At least not normally. With some misdirection and sleights (to empty the device of evidence...) it could be possible to also hand out the device (on it's own, not together with a card) for a cursory examination, but most likely it would be a bit risky.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Why do you say the square impression block is the same size as the hole ih the card? It doesn't look the same size when you put them near each other.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
Well, they are in fact the same size (or at least very close, the block must of course be a smidgen smaller to fit the hole).
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Ok I see where I misunderstood you. You are pointing out that the impression block fits in the hole, not that they are the same size.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
That is an amazing magical device. Have you received any offers to professionally manufacture it?
mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
Nope, no offers for commercial production/manufacture. I don't think that will happen either. While the mechanics of mine is different to existing (and similar) tricks, the effect is pretty much the same. It's not new and revolutionary in any way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Squircle - Geometrick and Black hole combined (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL