The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Phantom Pin by TCC (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
This has been released again but with a much cheaper quality hankerchief. The quality of the original was the only reason I was going to buy it.The method is an old and and available in many publications. I went to their web page and it stated "they will choose what color they send" of 3 variants, gotta luv it when the consumer has no choice. Disappointing.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Received this today and I don’t think the teaching is great. The first penetration is really easy but the second one is giving me problems. I’m pretty sure if I keep practising the hanky is going to rip. Not sure if my technique is wrong or one part of the pin could do with being shorter. The pin is the new version so a standard safety pin. Anybody got any tips on this move.
Cheers
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Although I believe I am familiar with this effect and method, I have not performed it for many years.

If I recall correctly, there are two ways to eliminate the possibility of damaging the handkerchief. One way is to alter the pin and the other is to consider angles and carefully using the correct ones.

Also, acquiring the ideal safety pin will help but nowadays, I am not so sure that safety pin selection is what it used to be. You used to see them on display racks all over the place a long time ago.

No matter what handkerchief you use, improper or careless maneuvering of the safety pin will damage the handkerchief to some degree.

Hope that helps!
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi All,

I have the original "old-style" safety pin and was curious to know if the technique used with the "modern" safety pin was exactly the same or do you learn a slightly different technique? Thanks.

Regards, Steve
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2021, yachanin wrote:
Hi All,

I have the original "old-style" safety pin and was curious to know if the technique used with the "modern" safety pin was exactly the same or do you learn a slightly different technique? Thanks.

Regards, Steve

Good question! I was wondering that myself. I am assuming that it uses the old classic technique but cannot be certain because I do not own it. Anyone? We could visit the appropriate place on the Café to discuss appropriately.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I’ve been doing this for a few yrs and love it but the teaching is usually mediocre. I learned it from Vigil at his Penguin lecture so you can pick that up if you need more help. The handkerchief will never rip but it will show wear after about ten performances. So make sure you get one that is self healing. I believe mine are all cotton. Regardless of pin style, handling should be the same.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
I wonder why this doesn't come with Paul Vigil's teaching.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
michaelpenkul
View Profile
New user
Toronto Canada
86 Posts

Profile of michaelpenkul
I agree about the trailer, it was shot beautifully, but super convoluted which made it hard to pay attention; didn't leave me interested in the trick at all
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Teaching for this effect is always confusing. There’s no great/easy way to explain what’s happening so you pretty much just have to try it yourself with props in hand. That’s what I did. But what’s cool about this is that even though I’ve performed it a lot, I still don’t fully understand why/how it works. It just doesn’t seem possible that it’s doing what it’s doing. It’s fun because it actually fools me as much as it fools spectators and I’m not aware of any other trick that falls into that category.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2021, emyers99 wrote:
I’ve been doing this for a few yrs and love it but the teaching is usually mediocre. I learned it from Vigil at his Penguin lecture so you can pick that up if you need more help. The handkerchief will never rip but it will show wear after about ten performances. So make sure you get one that is self healing. I believe mine are all cotton. Regardless of pin style, handling should be the same.

Hi Eric,

I know Paul Vigil's penguin Lecture contains much more material. But solely for the Phantom Pin, would you say the teaching on the penguin lecture is better than the one by TCC?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I don’t have the TCC version but the Vigil lecture is good enough to learn it. You will have to rewind a few times but that’s how I learned it.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2021, yin_howe wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2021, emyers99 wrote:

Hi Eric,

I know Paul Vigil's penguin Lecture contains much more material. But solely for the Phantom Pin, would you say the teaching on the penguin lecture is better than the one by TCC?

Definitely yes
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:

Hi Eric,

Definitely yes [/quote]

Thanks rowland. Might have to save up for it then. Still wonder why Paul did not include his teaching with this since it seems like it is a collab. Would have made this way better.
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
It was mentioned earlier that the handkerchief would never rip. It most certainly can rip. I'd recommend practicing with an old hank. Each pin is a little different: duller, sharper etc.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I’ve never come close to a rip but you will start to get pin holes after about ten performances. So buy several handkerchiefs
BernieSantos
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of BernieSantos
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2019, dyoung wrote:
This is the problem when dealers let Murphy's basically run their website... as soon as they list it on their site (murphys) your website gets automatically updated showing this item. It might be on presale for a couple of weeks, so its confusing for people. Similar thing as "Polish Poker" and Christian from Cardshark came on here saying that no dealer will have it before 10th of april or something... but because Murphy's run most of the dealers website, it will be listed, but there's no stock available until whatever date.

All the best,
Dan

I find it all a bit of a con. So called independent magic shops being little more than Murphy magic franchises, with little knowledge of what has appeared on their sites over night.
And the 'in stock' referring to Murphys stock levels not what they have in their own shop. That is a bloody lie.
On one site, the self proclaimed 'shop with stock', almost everything is a 2-3 day special order with a no return policy.
Woody.
View Profile
New user
With this one, I wrote
13 Posts

Profile of Woody.
Hi Guys Smile,

This routine is one hundred years old, so... The first effect is really easy to do; just do what the trailer shows Smile. For the second effect, you can read the third volume of the Tarbell Course in Magic ("The Phantom Safety Pin" - p. 79); it's very well explained Smile . And yes, you can do it with a regular safety pin and... A regular handkerchief Smile .

In general, I like TCC products but for this one, 30 bucks for a such well known routine, it's a little bit expensive to me.

My2Cents
W.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Phantom Pin by TCC (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL