We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Dai Vernon - was he any good? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1725 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Clearly, the late Professor has made a vast contribution to the literature, practice and theory of performing magic and is no doubt a far better magician than I could ever hope to be.

But what was he like performing for non-magicians? What was his performance style like? And did he perform much for lay-people?

ross
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
While I never saw him perform, I know a lot of people who did. Obviously, in his late '80's and into his '90's he'd lost a little something. But even into his seventies, he was still pretty amazing, and he was, and I quote,"Scary Good" in his 50's and earlier.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Vernon performed very little for lay people ever.
He was mainly what would be called today "a magician's magician."
One British review, reprinted in the now-defunct Magigram, called him "hopeless" when it came to entertaining non-magicians.
In the final analysis, let's just say that he was good but not nearly as good as some would make him out. And the longer he's been dead, the better they make him out!
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Frances Rockefeller King used him extensively to entertain at society parties. (She also used Dunninger.) She was noted for having a dislike for magicians, and extremely high standards, yet she liked Vernon. He must have been doing something right. Reviews of his Harlequin act were tremendous. Many thought it was one of the finest performances of its day. Yet neither of these stints was long lived. Clearly Vernon lacked the drive for a career as an entertainer. In the end all that can be said is that there was a very brief time in which he was perceived very positively as an entertainer for laymen.

--Christopher Carter
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
According to my history of magic book, Vernon did not earn a living performing magic. He made most of his money cutting silhouettes (whatever that means).

He said he tried to avoid the spotlight because it did him no good. But, he did have his fair share of performances. He did his first magic show at 11. He performed throughout high school and college. In 1913 he moved to New York and became widely known among the experts. He was occasionally picked to perform at engagements that Nate Leipzig could have had.

When he moved to Atlantic City, Frances Rockefeller King booked him for many private parties. After that he moved to L.A. when the Magic Castle opened. He stayed there from the mid 60's on.

But to imply that Vernon is overrated is a sin! Smile Just because he wasn't a full-time professional doesn't mean that he didn't know what he was doing. The fact that he didn't spend most of his time performing gave him the time to be creative and come up with tons of techniques and ideas that are highly sought after today.

His contribution to close-up magic was tremendous. Not only that, but he inspired so many other "legends" that also contributed. We are talking tons of material here. Where would the art be right now if he hadn't existed?
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
First of all, I don't think anyone here suggested that Vernon "didn't know what he was doing."
As for where the art would be today if he didn't exist, well -- where would it be if Malini, Leipzig, Slydini, Burling Hull, Jim Ryan, Harry Lorayne, etc., etc. didn't exist?
Everything is built on what went before and to suggest that any one person is critical is folly.
As the saying goes: If you think you are indispensible, stick your hand in a pail of water and see the hole it makes!
I was not trying to take anything away from Vernon's contributions to magic (and they were many); I was simply trying to answer the original question.
BTW, silhouette cutting (what Vernon did as his main job) is generally found at sideshows, carnivals, midways, etc. It consists of cutting out, of black (usually) paper, an outline of the customer. Named after Etienne Silhouette, an 18th century French politician, noted for trimming the "frills" from expenditures by the government.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Huw Collingbourne
View Profile
Loyal user
Devon, UK
201 Posts

Profile of Huw Collingbourne
Yet again, you prove what a fund of obscure (but fascinating) information you are, Peter! I had no idea that Silhouette was a person's name!

I once had a silhouette of my profile cut by an artist on Brighton Pier when I was a child. Amazingly enough, I see there is even a web page all about the Brighton Pier slhouettes (mine isn't there, alas...)

Click here

best wishes
Huw
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Welcome to Marucci's House of Useless Knowledge; open 24/7 for those with too much time on their hands -- like me! Smile
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Dolini
View Profile
Loyal user
217 Posts

Profile of Dolini
Peter
To show how old I am I actually had a Silhouette cut for me when I was young. Also we do stand on the shoulders of Giants. Blackstone, Houdini.... etc.

Dolini
John O'Shea Dolan
johnosheadolan@hotmail.com
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
I remember seeing Vernon perform his linking ring routine with lay people in the audience and he was incredible. He also did some television spots doing his cups and balls that was also well received by the lay audience. He did know his stuff and was a brilliant editor that could take a convoluted effect and trim it down to it's basics making it a miracle.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Peter,

Sorry if I took what you said too far. I must have misunderstood. Smile

And thanks for the info on silhouette cutting. Very interesting occupation.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Frank, Silhouette-cutting is almost never seen these days -- and that's unfortunate because it's a minor art form all of its own.
And Dolini, having had one done, you'll know what I'm talking about.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
My Mother made a silhouette of me and my siblings when I was a kid... I need to find those!

Very interesting thanks peter!
Tony Chapparo
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
Vernon was not only one of the greatest magic geniuses, many people agree he was one of the greatest performers. Smile
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
I've never been able to find any Dai Vernon books, but somehow my little brothers has managed to learn a lot of his tricks from the internet, like "Cutting The Aces" and "Twisting The Aces". If that man invented those effects himself, he had an awesome mind. I still don't have hardly a clue how "Cutting The Aces" is done, after seeing it several times. Smile I envy with great envy anyone who ever got to witness Dai Vernon's skill firsthand.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
On 2002-07-19 23:44, christopher carter wrote:
Reviews of his Harlequin act were tremendous. Many thought it was one of the finest performances of its day.

Actually, not true at all. The Harlequin act was a failure. Due to Mr. Vernon's stage fright, it was not performed by him at Radio City music hall even once. It was Sam Horowitz who performed every show . . .
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
I should add, though, that yes - - though I met Vernon no more than nine or ten times, and he was far from a young man then . . . in an enviornment that he was comfortable in, he was spectacularly good.
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
Vernon was the consummate artist. I remember when I was very young, I was fortunate to see him lecture, and what he was demonstrating was so vividly beautiful that I felt compelled to get up out of my chair and stand to one side so I could see what was happening from another angle. What I saw was that a routine could be absolutely artistic and wonderful from both sides. Not only were the effects works of art, but so where the methods, each playing in harmony with each other. It was as much a pleasure for Vernon to perform these pieces as it was for us to watch them.

Vernon's understanding of magic and performing (even though the bulk of his magical career didn't involve public performance) is unparalleled. It came at great cost, but that's the artist's way, sometimes. I have no way of measuring just how much impact he had on my magic, although it's quite a bit. All the current masters of magic owe a large part of their understanding to Vernon.

Man, I miss him.

TCR
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Vernon was a brilliant "editor" that could take a hackneyed effect and cut out everything that was superfluous and turn it inot a miracle. Any move that looked out of place, anything that could be cut to reduce the trick to it's basics was what he did and he did it well. It was one of the greatest things you could learn from him, that if it took more than two sentences to explain what you were doing, it was too convoluted for your audience to follow.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
If you REALLY want to learn how great Dai Vernon was Watch the REVELATIONS video tapes
(by the way - He cut a silohouette on tape) after watching these tapes you'll be sad that you couldn't sit around and talk with this guy for days such an interesting life - Most of it dedicated to the pursuit of magic. Some of the best parts of the tapes are: the disdain he holds for a young M.Ammar almost like he was forced to be at the table with him -think he knew something before anyone else?- also his discussions about the magicians in the early to mid 20th century -
Mr Marlo was as great as Mr. Vernon - He (Marlo) is probably the only man that can be put in the same catagory as Vernon - I wish I could have met them - Pretty small club on that end of the magic society - and we miss them dearly

Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Dai Vernon - was he any good? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL