The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Advice please - Have been asked to perform at a colleagues wedding (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Paul7538
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Paul7538
Hello Everyone,
So I have been studying magic now for nearly 3 years (I am 51). I am a pure amateur hobbyist and only have performed for friends and family and at work. Recently a friend at work asked if I would like to do some magic at his wedding in November of this year. I explained that I have never performed commercially before and that perhaps before deciding I should meet him and his fiancée for a drink and chat and I will show them a couple of effects to see if they both like me and my standard of magic.

Meeting happened and they both liked me and said would I do the photography period as well as the wedding breakfast. And then stay on for the evening (as a guest) as well. So I said that I would not want to get paid for this, but would like to have all pictures and video taken of me performing instead (just in case I get the bug to do again. To put on any potential website.) But being really honest, I feel less pressured if I am not being paid.

Obviously I want to do them proud, and repay their confidence in me. So I have been reading the forums and advice offered by the many experienced magicians on here. I have brought the excellent Strolling magician ebook by Mark Leveridge, to help me understand the technicalities of working a space and the tables.

But what has really got me stressing and going around in circles is the number of effects that I should concentrate on and work on for the day. I just keep re-writing the list and structure and amount of effects. It has become paralysing.

The photo period is for an hour
And the wedding breakfast is for up to an hour and a half. There are about 70 guests 6 tables and the top table.

In my mind for the photography period I think no more than 6 routines.
And for the tables 3 to 4 effects (12 mins per table by my calculation). But I will do a longer different set for the top table.

I didn’t want the post to turn into a what sort of effects to do type one, but of course if anyone wants to know or things it will help I would of course be happy to share what is going through my mind. But I guess I am looking to hear your thoughts on if the number of effects I have in mind for each period is ok …

I do apologise for this long post for a very easy 2 step question, but wanted to put some context in.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19528 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why would you do different things for their table? Just do your best for everyone.

3 or four is a fine number of effects.

But the more important question is how many effects can you do and be entertaining? Be honest with yourself, don't answer here. Too many is WAY worse than too few in any circumstance. Know when to go away.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1404 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
What do you do? Do you have some go to routines? What are they? Do you just do card magic or can you do other standard closeup items like coins, sponge balls, rope, TT, paddles, etc.

Put together the best stuff into something that resembles an opener, middle and closer. One set is all you'll need though a second set/other routines you can substitute (that you really know) would be helpful. You want stuff that plays big and is bright/colorful/ eye-catching if possible.

Bringing personality, likability and energy to a performance is as important (maybe more so) than what specific effects you do.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2829 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Just to add to the already pro advice given;
Your friend thought enough about you to entertain at his wedding. That speaks volumes.
The key imo is just do the stuff you know well and just have fun. It's all about your friend and his bride. It's not about you, it's about help making your friends special day just a "little" more special. Don't sweat it. I guarantee you if you keep that in mind along with Danny and Kaliix's
advice you'll have the time of your magical life.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Wx4usa
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2019, davidpaul$ wrote:
Just to add to the already pro advice given;
Your friend thought enough about you to entertain at his wedding. That speaks volumes.
The key imo is just do the stuff you know well and just have fun. It's all about your friend and his bride. It's not about you, it's about help making your friends special day just a "little" more special. Don't sweat it. I guarantee you if you keep that in mind along with Danny and Kaliix's
advice you'll have the time of your magical life.

Agree 100% with Danny, Kaliix and davidpaul$ ... focus on the couple and they must think a lot of you to ask you... And I would add that any way you can work funny & personal stories about them into your routine would be awesome and quite memorable and NOT just a random wedding magician. Smile
Wx4usa
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
By the way, my number 1 wedding effect is the TT 2 separate links of chain that are inspected and inserted into my fist by a spectator and they then become 2 inseparable and linked together pieces of chain. Welded chain is best. This is a very basic TT effect, but added with marriage patter it is so amazingly strong. Not just for the couple either. Perform at all the tables and walk around and talk about the couple. You will need to get some chain at a hardware store. 2 separate individual links and then 2 links together. Get 10 or so sets of these and give away the linked pieces. A very cool and memorable wedding effect. I use a ve*ne* king size and I am able to get 2 pretty large separate links of chain in there.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19528 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
One thing to keep in mind that astonishingly large numbers of people get wrong.

It is easy to think the party is about the Bride and Groom. In reality THEY are throwing a party for their friends. They want you there to entertain their friends!

Never forget that. Yes the couple is important, but the guests are just that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2829 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
One thing to keep in mind that astonishingly large numbers of people get wrong.

It is easy to think the party is about the Bride and Groom. In reality THEY are throwing a party for their friends. They want you there to entertain their friends!

Never forget that. Yes the couple is important, but the guests are just that.

And why do you think the guests are there? Just to party / or to celebrate and share a special day FOR the "bride and groom".
It's about the Bride and Groom and everything should be centered around THEM. If they wanted to just throw a party they
can have them over their house for a barbeque. Smile ( I know you hate emoji's)
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19528 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok never mind.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1049 Posts

Profile of imgic
A blast from the past may help you...

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&start=0
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
AndreJ
View Profile
New user
Sweden/@andrewestberg
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
Keep in mind that 99% of all people have never seen a live magician. They don't know what to expect. Go in there with a smile and do the things you know. Don't over think it. Simple tricks that you can do in your sleep. Do not try new stuff that you haven't performed before.

Also, if you want to do something for the bride and groom, take them aside and do it for them privately. If you do it in the open, you run the risk of having the whole crowd look at you intensely which can be very stressful. Do a trick for them as a secret gift, and let them tell everyone about it afterward. They will most likely describe it far more impossible than it really was 😁
Want more leads to your magic business? Get a free Lead Generation System at www.gigfunnels.com

Get honest reviews of magic and mentalism at www.gigfunnels.com/reviews/

My background: Loved magic for 25 years, always wanted to do paid gigs but never had the courage. Faced my fears some years ago and now perform regularly. Would love to help you get there too!
Paul7538
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Paul7538
Thank you all for your advice..
I will try to answer as best I can, I always believe in being open and honest, especially if you are taking the time to reply to my post.

@ Danny - One of the first tricks he saw ages ago was me doing the Full Tiny Plunger routine so he wants me to do that for
everyone at the top table. And I want to do Stickman Bob for them only, as its loud bright and very theatrical. And I plan to finish with Ambitious (get both of them to sign it)
card that finishes with engraved omni block to keep as a memento.

@AndreJ - Yes good idea to maybe do privately

@Kaliix - I do a variety of magic, cards and non cards
for walkaround I was planning on the following :-

11p Pot of Jam
Ring on String
Ambitious card - to wallet and or Phantom deck

Turbo Stick into
Sponge Balls or Double Cross (producing the sponge ball as last dot is wiped, or flicking the last x into their hand)
Card to pocket to phone

And for Tables the following :-
Coin in Bottle
Fibre Optics or Liquid Forks or Ring Flite ( cant decide)
Card routine ( that uses the WOW gimmick and ends with the Mystery blox)
AndreJ
View Profile
New user
Sweden/@andrewestberg
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
Just a quick note on that trick collection. All good tricks...but think about prop/pocket management. That's sounds like a lot to carry around, and to find in the heat of the moment. If you decide on those tricks, be sure to practice in the same clothes as you will wear on the wedding.
Want more leads to your magic business? Get a free Lead Generation System at www.gigfunnels.com

Get honest reviews of magic and mentalism at www.gigfunnels.com/reviews/

My background: Loved magic for 25 years, always wanted to do paid gigs but never had the courage. Faced my fears some years ago and now perform regularly. Would love to help you get there too!
Paul7538
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Paul7538
Thanks Andre.
This is what I am finding so difficult, knowing what is the right balance. The difference between doing it professionally and me just being a happy amateur Smile
TheRealMagicMike
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
154 Posts

Profile of TheRealMagicMike
I think you'll be surprised with how few tricks you'll actually perform. One important piece of information that I didn't see is, how many people will be there? Also, to reinforce what Danny said, "less is more". A great short performance can easily be ruined by staying too long. They can always ask you to come back if they want to see more !!! Good luck.
Paul7538
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Paul7538
@TheRealMagicMike. Thanks Smile and there 70 guests
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1965 Posts

Profile of puggo
Weddings are a great gig because most people are there to enjoy the day and generally will be polite.
I very rarely work the tables during the wedding breakfast due to the tight timeline for the food and then speeches - I normally work during photos/drinks reception and during the room changeover/start of the evening.

When on occasion I have worked the wedding breakfast, that's the time I plan around performing for the Bride and Groom (although always be prepared). Otherwise, in truth I rarely perform anything other than a very quick trick for the wedding couple as they tend to be really busy engaging with all their guests (all of who want to speak to the B&G). In other words, 95%+ of my efforts go into entertaining the guests. What is really great is when all the guests say/feedback on how good the magician was... That's what makes the B&G feel like they've made a good choice - I would guess more so than what they've seen themselves.

When working during photos, I always arrive early and speak with the photographer(s) and get a running order e.g. will they start with the main group shot etc.? It is really helpful if you know a rough plan as you can more easily provide the service you are there for e.g. entertaining at times when people are not actively engaged. Your tricks/effects seem good as they're either short or modular - people will be called for various photos so no 15 phase effects!

As for the weeding breakfast, I make it clear that I do not work when people are actually eating (and dessert/coffee will be speech time). Again, speak with the staff and get an idea of the service and table serving order. Expect excessive table decorations and noise that will interfere with your work! Consider moving around the table and 'blocking' against other tables for your key climaxes. You may only get time for 1 or 2 tricks at a table.

All of the above is just my experience/opinion - it may not be true/representative for others.
I 100% agree with trying to have and project fun - its contagious! Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Charlie
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1467 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
ROUND ONE!I always go around with the misers dream. Just walk bye and produce coins. The noise of dropping coins in a bucket makes them curious.

ROUND 2! Another thing is the benson bowl. You can only do that at a table. And move on to next and repeat.

ROUND 3! do 3 shell game, fadt of loose or 3 card monty

ROUND 4! do 3 or 4 short tricks. Paddle tricks coin trick rope trick ring rope trick etc.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1965 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2019, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
ROUND ONE!I always go around with the misers dream. Just walk bye and produce coins. The noise of dropping coins in a bucket makes them curious.
ROUND 2! Another thing is the benson bowl. You can only do that at a table. And move on to next and repeat.
ROUND 3! do 3 shell game, fadt of loose or 3 card monty
ROUND 4! do 3 or 4 short tricks. Paddle tricks coin trick rope trick ring rope trick etc.

Hi Robert

I don't claim to be the most experienced, but with all the weddings I have worked (England), there is rarely the space to put down a drink on tables (not to mention the huge center pieces), so a Benson bowl or 3 shells may not be ideal. Of course, this may not be the case elsewhere or in others experience.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1467 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
True. But I am giving some thoughts. You only know what is possible when you are there.
Be flexibel.

I do a ring wand rope routine. 5 min.. no table needed. See what you have all
Ready and see what you can do with it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Advice please - Have been asked to perform at a colleagues wedding (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL