The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Advice please - Have been asked to perform at a colleagues wedding (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1964 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2019, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
True. But I am giving some thoughts. You only know what is possible when you are there.
Be flexibel.

Very true!
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
980 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Great advice given. Stick to what you know and do well. Two or three tricks at each table is usually enough- a few additional effects ready if a table wants you to stay longer. No need to do different tricks at each table. Make sure you can carry everything in your pockets (pocket management mentioned earlier) do a dry run with everything loaded and ready to go. See how easy/hard to manage props and ensure you are reset after each trick.

If I were to learn one new trick, it would be Anniversary Waltz.

Good luck and get good photos and video!

Hudson
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
1596 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2019, Paul7538 wrote:
Thank you all for your advice..
I will try to answer as best I can, I always believe in being open and honest, especially if you are taking the time to reply to my post.

@ Danny - One of the first tricks he saw ages ago was me doing the Full Tiny Plunger routine so he wants me to do that for
everyone at the top table. And I want to do Stickman Bob for them only, as its loud bright and very theatrical. And I plan to finish with Ambitious (get both of them to sign it)
card that finishes with engraved omni block to keep as a memento.

@AndreJ - Yes good idea to maybe do privately

@Kaliix - I do a variety of magic, cards and non cards
for walkaround I was planning on the following :-

11p Pot of Jam
Ring on String
Ambitious card - to wallet and or Phantom deck

Turbo Stick into
Sponge Balls or Double Cross (producing the sponge ball as last dot is wiped, or flicking the last x into their hand)
Card to pocket to phone

And for Tables the following :-
Coin in Bottle
Fibre Optics or Liquid Forks or Ring Flite ( cant decide)
Card routine ( that uses the WOW gimmick and ends with the Mystery blox)

I no longer do this kind of gig regularly, but here's my opinion:

1. Still too many tricks! Honestly, man: you won't do half of them and you'll be walking around like an overstuffed sofa.

2. I second Anniversary Waltz. This doesn't have to be just for the Bride and groom: the occasion itself justifies it.

3. Make sure your stuff is fireproof, by which I mean 13 year-old proof. There are kids at weddings usually and they like nothing more than following you around and busting you, loudly. This is no time to be proud. If you need to force a card, don't do a force a kid might know, or use a gimmick deck; if you need to do a DL, a spot of science friction can make all the difference.

4. Are you sure you want to do walk around AND tables? You'll be approaching tables and they will already have seen you earlier.

Good luck and have fun!
Author
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2978 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Here’s a little gag effect that works at any venue where there are tables and stemmed glasses: https://www.propdog.co.uk/broken-restore......rch=Wine

You’ve got a great variety of solid effects already, but remember its a party so leave time for some light interactive fun.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2828 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2019, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Here’s a little gag effect that works at any venue where there are tables and stemmed glasses: https://www.propdog.co.uk/broken-restore......rch=Wine

You’ve got a great variety of solid effects already, but remember its a party so leave time for some light interactive fun.

Great advice and idea. I've seen this before but forgot about it. Thanks for sharing.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1503 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2019, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:

I like that.
At one time, I would mention that the way to check if a coin was counterfeit was to tap it with a wineglass bottom at about a 45degree angle... this would make quite the sound and people would believe the glass would break... broken restored wine glass would have been a great follow up.
AndyMo805
View Profile
New user
San Luis Obispo, CA
19 Posts

Profile of AndyMo805
I perform at Weddings every weekend. Advice I can offer: Pack your pockets well. Make sure you are familiar with everything you have on you, and where it's at. Some of my most popular sets are Turbo Stick into Sponge balls. A card set with various options, Color changing knives, and a Kainoa's Bachelor coin. Not sure If I caught you in time with this... hope it went well!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4238 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2019, davidpaul$ wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
One thing to keep in mind that astonishingly large numbers of people get wrong.

It is easy to think the party is about the Bride and Groom. In reality THEY are throwing a party for their friends. They want you there to entertain their friends!

Never forget that. Yes the couple is important, but the guests are just that.

And why do you think the guests are there? Just to party / or to celebrate and share a special day FOR the "bride and groom".
It's about the Bride and Groom and everything should be centered around THEM. If they wanted to just throw a party they
can have them over their house for a barbeque. Smile ( I know you hate emoji's)

Yes BUT.... (I'm deliberately arguing the other side here as I agree with both sides)..... It is (HOPEFULLY) unlikely that you will be asked to perform at their wedding again ... but there may be guests that might want to book you for their wedding in the future?

Either way - have a great time. Give them a big fat bill as well. (I mean to charge them for the event) - write them a very expensive invoice -and write "My gift to you on your wedding day at the bottom. Just in case any of their friends ask how much you charge. And... if like me... you are a tight git you don't have to biy them a wedding gift. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19525 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Also if you are only there for them why burger everyone else? Of course the bride and groom matter. But they are showing off having this party for the guests. It is important to remember this.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1647 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Some great advice in above posts for you.. I perform Professionally in the corporate & wedding market only, 3-4 effects is plenty, best time is during the Photos of the wedding party so you entertain the guests & move on. I keep 1 effect for the Bride & Groom only, as also mentioned less is more...have fun
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Advice please - Have been asked to perform at a colleagues wedding (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL