The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Light It Up (3 versions) By Sansminds (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
gassaox
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of gassaox
Might invest in one of these ,Waiting for reviews as I owned 2 sansminds pro items where they have got to be filled with liquid or gases to work
Absolute zero blew up in my pocket as 2 much gas in as no level gauge
Vapr watch just got that to work again after sucking the pluck out of it as putting to much vapr oil in.
Wonder what happens if I put too much lighter fluid in this 😉
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2019, videoman wrote:
Ad copy says it cannot overheat and Titanus said it can work as regular lighter.
10 seconds is probably fine for magicians but I agree that it would be nice to have a longer delay for mentalists and mystery performers .
More versatility would be nice, especially at this price point.

Adcopy says ..." it will not overburn on the trigger"

Maybe it's just me but I but I'm still a little foggy on it.

Let me ask the question this way. Can I let it burn as long as I want to or will I risk damaging components? Does the burn time affect how often I will need refills or does the refill only ignite the lighter aka number of strikes?
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1757 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2019, JackMagic wrote:
Quote:
Ad copy says it cannot overheat and Titanus said it can work as regular lighter.
10 seconds is probably fine for magicians but I agree that it would be nice to have a longer delay for mentalists and mystery performers .
More versatility would be nice, especially at this price point.

It is well known fact that Titanas is just a post and go

Most of the time he has not even seen the product he is pitching

So best to wait for the reviews especially as itís Sandsmind

JackMagic, it has been well-established that you are not a fan of Titanus. We get it.
Now it is just boring.

Quote:
On Apr 2, 2019, gassaox wrote:
Might invest in one of these ,Waiting for reviews as I owned 2 sansminds pro items where they have got to be filled with liquid or gases to work
Absolute zero blew up in my pocket as 2 much gas in as no level gauge
Vapr watch just got that to work again after sucking the pluck out of it as putting to much vapr oil in.
Wonder what happens if I put too much lighter fluid in this 😉

Now you might understand why my enthusiasm for Sandsminds Product is not as fever pitched as Titanus
MarcLavelle
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of MarcLavelle
Aaallllllrighty then!!

Sorry for being late to the party, but THESE are awesome. I say ďtheseĒ because I bought one of each colour at Blackpool!

The weird thing is that every magician I have shown LOVES the prop, but never saw it or heard of it before!

Iíll try and answer all the posted questions:

Yes, can be used as a regular lighter

No it doesnít extinguish the flame by itself, but if you wanted to create that effect, just use a few drops of fuel straight to the wick.

The timing is fine - if you want it longer, just active it later?!

Overheating - I only keep lighters lit for like 10/15 seconds - I recon if you left it to burn for ages , then yeah it might risk damaging the electronics (Iím thinking the battery?)

Refills. I have changed mine once after daily uses, and hundreds of activations since Blackpool, and only charged it like three or four times!!

Overall: great build quality, I REALLY love this as an every day carry, no remote, both hands completely empty. The only thing that took me a while to get used to was the fuel being used up quicker that a regular zippo (about a third capacity of a regular zippo) to counter this, I bought a £4 fuel key ring carrier.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
^ thanks for the review/info.

In terms of the refill...do you mean the heating/ignition element? You had to replace that already? How much is the replacement?

Also, you mention the fuel uses a third of the capacity of a regular zippo...how long, would you say, a fill up lasts/how many ignites off one fill up?

Thanks again!
montanna40
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of montanna40
This seems quite interesting
I can see there are different colours. Three in all
But there is a difference of around £50 between
Are we actually paying more just for the colour but would function the same if you got the one thatís £50 cheaper??
MarcLavelle
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of MarcLavelle
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2019, PendletonThe3rd wrote:
^ thanks for the review/info.

In terms of the refill...do you mean the heating/ignition element? You had to replace that already? How much is the replacement?

Also, you mention the fuel uses a third of the capacity of a regular zippo...how long, would you say, a fill up lasts/how many ignites off one fill up?

Thanks again!

Yeah, the element. I am not sure on the price, I got a bunch at blackpool and keep them in my close up case. I was (gladly) surprised I didnít have to change it earlier to be honest, with the amount of times I have used it!

I use it as a regular lighter at gigs as well as the auto light, so it gets used a lot! I just top it up when o notice the flame getting weaker - but I am used to that anyway from using zippos for about 20 years now! I maybe top it up once at a gig?

Quote:
On Apr 4, 2019, montanna40 wrote:
This seems quite interesting
I can see there are different colours. Three in all
But there is a difference of around £50 between
Are we actually paying more just for the colour but would function the same if you got the one thatís £50 cheaper??

The ones I bought at Blackpool are all identical in function - I bought one of each colour. Currently only using my Red one.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1817 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Wish this was available years ago when smoking was allowed in bars.

Being a Magic Bartender I lit many a cigarette.

If I had one of those lighters. That would have been cool.

Probably could have sold a few too.

Hey, if the price is right. Why not?
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2259 Posts

Profile of todsky
Iíve got some at my shop, and Iíll be playing around with it soon. Will post my review next week.

Todd
www.magicstore.ca
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4330 Posts

Profile of videoman
Apparently these elements donít last all that long so hopefully replacements will be inexpensive and readily available.
I presume they are a proprietary item, so what happens in the future when these are no longer available?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11713 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2019, videoman wrote:
Apparently these elements donít last all that long so hopefully replacements will be inexpensive and readily available.
I presume they are a proprietary item, so what happens in the future when these are no longer available?

The flame goes out.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4330 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2019, John C wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2019, videoman wrote:

The flame goes out.

So the flame is not eternal?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4330 Posts

Profile of videoman
Couldnít resist picking this up because I have several routines I could use it in. Itís a little extra thing that adds mystery as well as just freeing your hands and making things easier overall. However, itís definitely not a necessity so for the price I really had to think about it.

But I did like the leather skin for it. It adds a touch of class and even more importantly it kind of softens the look of a lighter. I donít know how it is where you are but in my area smoking is absolutely shunned so even an accessory can be frowned upon. If some people suspect you are a smoker their respect for you is instantly diminished. They would have more sympathy if you were a drug addict. Iím not a smoker so I will mention that.

The device seems to work very well and so far I am very happy with my purchase. The only 2 minor negatives I see so far is I would prefer the switch be more easily recognizable when pushing it to turn on the lighting element, being able to get a distinct tactile sensation that it is clearly activated. It can be somewhat uncertain whether you are activating it or not, but this will no doubt subside with more practice. Now Iím certainly not adverse to practicing but there are a hundred other things Iím currently working on, so do I really have to practice pushing a switch on? Oh well, I guess I do.

The other thing is that in the tutorial they mentioned how to replace the heating element but NO mention was made as where to get these, when they would be available, or at what cost. So if the element needs replacing soon it may conceivably cost me $50 to replace and I may have to wait weeks or months to get it. I doubt that it will but the point is that I simply donít know. They imply the cost will be less than a new unit but thatís about it. As I am mainly a hobbyist and wonít be using this 50 times a week Iím not too concerned about it. But if youíre a worker you may want to wait until they get the replacement elements sorted out.

But I donít want this to sound like a negative review because those are minor things and overall, I really like the device and anticipate getting a lot of use out of it. I keep thinking of more ways to use it so it really is a utility device.

One last thing...I havenít used a stopwatch to get an official time, but the 5 or 10 second delays seem to be a little longer than that. Certainly not 30 seconds long but a little longer which is a good thing IMO.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1476 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Yawn.

Anyone I perform for will just think trick lighter.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2259 Posts

Profile of todsky
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2019, reignofsound wrote:
Yawn.

I think you would need to consider your presentation, then. If you simply say, ĎHey, check this out!í, and waggle your fingers at the lighter, that might not be enough to sell the effect.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1476 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2019, todsky wrote:
Quote:
Yawn.

I think you would need to consider your presentation, then. If you simply say, ĎHey, check this out!í, and waggle your fingers at the lighter, that might not be enough to sell the effect.

Aaaa the good old presentation come back.

No mate. Just the real world.

On the other hand Rex Ignis much better.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1568 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2019, todsky wrote:
Quote:
Yawn.

Aaaa the good old presentation come back.

No mate. Just the real world.

On the other hand Rex Ignis much better.

Agreed with reignofsound.... Spectators aren't stupid and presentation will not cover the method for this
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3362 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Agreed we should never have anything that lights up by itself... those pesky spectators take away all the fun...

Actually looking forward to getting one of these... I love cigars so will be a nice little accessory to carry. I would not use as a stand alone effect but can see a number of was to use it as a magical accessory for Frixxon routines, blister effects, etc.
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2019, videoman wrote:

The other thing is that in the tutorial they mentioned how to replace the heating element but NO mention was made as where to get these, when they would be available, or at what cost.

I think I just dodged a bullet. That sounds very shady. For now it's going to be a hard pass for me.
dmoriarty1
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of dmoriarty1
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2019, drumdemon420 wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2019, videoman wrote:

The other thing is that in the tutorial they mentioned how to replace the heating element but NO mention was made as where to get these, when they would be available, or at what cost.

I think I just dodged a bullet. That sounds very shady. For now it's going to be a hard pass for me.

The first thing I questioned after seeing the trailer was the refills. I searched for them, but couldn't find one listing. Now that I know it's not even covered in the video, this has become less appealing. I was hoping to replace my old, cheesy (yet reliable and entertaining) self-lighting candle in my Halloween and Christmas shows (I use a Dickens Ghosts of Christmas story line) with a more modern prop, but until more reviews come out, I'll hold off.

Thanks to all who shared!

D.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Light It Up (3 versions) By Sansminds (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL