The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Unpopular books (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
317 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
I am interested in knowing if anyone has found that an essentially ignored book (or DVD) was just what the doctor ordered for them specifically. This question occurred to me b/c I find that some books that appear interesting based on their subject matter alone seemed to have been largely ignored.

Two cases in point are two books by Wesley James that have caught my eye, [1] "I'll Pass" and [2] "A Call to Palms." I cannot find any reviews anywhere, and given the popularity and relevance of the subject matter I cannot avoid coming to the conclusion that these two works have not been well-received. This is quite strange insofar that Mr. James seems to be considered by many a highly respected practitioner. Is my conclusion reasonable? Have you found an ignored title that was really high quality? If any of you have thoughts on the subject please chime in, especially if acquainted with these two books.
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Ted
jkr
View Profile
Regular user
Mn
114 Posts

Profile of jkr
I am not familiar with the books you mentioned, but I’ve often wondered why “The Ostrich Factor “ by Gerald Edmondson doesn’t get more press. This is an amazing book! You can read a description here.
http://www.geraldedmundson.com/tof1/bookorder.htm

It was just what the doctor ordered for me to help my practice be fruitful and to really hone an effect.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2003 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2019, jkr wrote:
I am not familiar with the books you mentioned, but I’ve often wondered why “The Ostrich Factor “ by Gerald Edmondson doesn’t get more press. This is an amazing book! You can read a description here.

It was just what the doctor ordered for me to help my practice be fruitful and to really hone an effect.

That is one on my list of getting one of these days.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
317 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Quote:

I have it!! However, until I get some manual skills under my belt it did not seem to make sense to work on performing.
Cheers,

Ted
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8573 Posts

Profile of funsway
There seems to be a myth that a book by a known performer is good and one by an unknown is bad.

Makes sense if one is reading about stage performing skills or cloning of one's act or trying to be a high paid performer.

But, magic technique or a new sleight or understanding psychological ploys can be found in less popular sources.

Actually, the fact that a book is popular may indicate that its value is for the mass market and not the ardent seeker of magic wisdom.

The idea of "gets more press" suggest that you desire to be a clone rather than a doer or amazing magic.
Not putting down the famous performers who also publish, but they do not have a lock on creativity.

For example, send me at the indicated address below, a description of your current expertise/mastery level and venue/style interest (coin, rope, card. etc),
and I will send you a never published effect that will blow your socks off.

Yes, I have one book that is popular worldwide and an agreed authority on a limited subject (T.U.C. Appreciation)
but also have other books of even greater value but only for one seeking magic over easy or popular or "gotcha"

The key is to know what you are seeking and to ask for help. The doctor can only help when you point to where the pain is.

If your answer resembles, "Doc, I eat at four fast-food restaurants a day and always seem to have indigestion..." I probably cannot help.

sorta joking - the fact that you look to a book at all is a goodness.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
jkr
View Profile
Regular user
Mn
114 Posts

Profile of jkr
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2019, TeddyBoy wrote:
Quote:

I have it!! However, until I get some manual skills under my belt it did not seem to make sense to work on performing.

Teddy if you haven’t read chapter two yet you should check it out. It has some great advice on how to learn sleights. It will help you get the manual skills you’re working on.
jkr
View Profile
Regular user
Mn
114 Posts

Profile of jkr
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2019, funsway wrote:
There seems to be a myth that a book by a known performer is good and one by an unknown is bad.

Makes sense if one is reading about stage performing skills or cloning of one's act or trying to be a high paid performer.

But, magic technique or a new sleight or understanding psychological ploys can be found in less popular sources.

Actually, the fact that a book is popular may indicate that its value is for the mass market and not the ardent seeker of magic wisdom.

The idea of "gets more press" suggest that you desire to be a clone rather than a doer or amazing magic.
Not putting down the famous performers who also publish, but they do not have a lock on creativity.

For example, send me at the indicated address below, a description of your current expertise/mastery level and venue/style interest (coin, rope, card. etc),
and I will send you a never published effect that will blow your socks off.

Yes, I have one book that is popular worldwide and an agreed authority on a limited subject (T.U.C. Appreciation)
but also have other books of even greater value but only for one seeking magic over easy or popular or "gotcha"

The key is to know what you are seeking and to ask for help. The doctor can only help when you point to where the pain is.

If your answer resembles, "Doc, I eat at four fast-food restaurants a day and always seem to have indigestion..." I probably cannot help.

sorta joking - the fact that you look to a book at all is a goodness.

Funsway that was an excellent post! Great food for thought.
Lord Anacho
View Profile
Regular user
Kessel-Lo, Belgium
148 Posts

Profile of Lord Anacho
Second The Ostrich Factor. I use it to teach our youth department at our magical society.
"The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything" (Alfred Borden in The Prestige)
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
317 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Funsway, thanks for your thoughtful perspective. You have nudged me closer to giving these books a chance.
Cheers,

Ted
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3380 Posts

Profile of Julie
The first book that came to my mind is The Magic of Jimmy Grippo from the early 1980's.

Much maligned because many of the magicians of the day felt the entire book was just a rehash of pretty much standard magic items (and it was). What most failed to appreciate was the fact that the routines and little nuances he shared had earned him a respectable living for 30+ years and taken him all over the world.

IMO this kind of information is priceless...

Julie
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
317 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Great story Julie. That's what I'm hoping for with one Mr. James's books.
Cheers,

Ted
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
317 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Thanks, fellows for mentioning and recommending The Ostrich Factor. I'm glad you found the ides in my book useful.

Thanks again!
Gerald
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yew! Even after years in the business, I found Gerald's "The Ostrich Factor", an excellent "plan" for practice. Thanks, Gerald!

I would recommend this book to anyone. Even us old timers can find valuable information in it!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2019, Julie wrote:
The first book that came to my mind is The Magic of Jimmy Grippo from the early 1980's.

Much maligned because many of the magicians of the day felt the entire book was just a rehash of pretty much standard magic items (and it was). What most failed to appreciate was the fact that the routines and little nuances he shared had earned him a respectable living for 30+ years and taken him all over the world.

IMO this kind of information is priceless...

Julie

Right Julie!
That's what I tried to do with my book, and, according to readers, I seem to have succeeded. ('DICK OSLUND -- ROAD SCHOLAR" IS SELLING WELL IN EUROPE, AUSTRALIA, INDIA, AND THE USA.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3380 Posts

Profile of Julie
Glad to see you back, Dick!

Julie
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
317 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Thanks, Dick! I'm glad you liked The Ostrich Factor. I guess we have a mutual admiration society going here. Your book is terrific! I was absorbed by every page. Great reading for a number of reasons. Keep going!

Best,
Gerald
EvilClown
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond, VA
129 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
The Ostrich Factor is outstanding. It really needs wider circulation in the magic community. The practice tips are invaluable.
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
317 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2019, EvilClown wrote:
The Ostrich Factor is outstanding. It really needs wider circulation in the magic community. The practice tips are invaluable.

Thank you, EvilClown for your comments. I’m glad you found the book helpful.
Thanks again!
Gerald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Unpopular books (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL