The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » One handed magic ideas? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I had a recent silly idea for a way to additional complexity to a magic performance. The tabor pipe is a one-handed whistle capable of about one diatonic octave (a well made one played by a good player can get a couple more notes and some of the accidentals are possible, too, so I've forestalled the guys who will want to come on and correct me without adding anything to the actual subject). So far, I only play a couple of tunes on it, but I'm thinking that if one hand is playing the music, the other hand can do the magic.

Here's the problem: tricks performed to the tabor pipe have to be visual because you can't play and talk at the same time, and they have to be one-hand tricks. I've only managed to think of two tricks I could do with the other hand, so far.

Rene Lavond had that wonderful 3 breadcrumbs cup and balls he did. That one has a clear plot without having to speak a word.

Cellini's DVD of magic that can be done anywhere has the continuous production of a ball with one hand.

Can anyone else think of other tricks that can be done one-handed to music?

-Patrick
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I stared a book called "One Hand Clapping" for persons with disabilities of the "only one usable hand/arm" variety.
There seemed to be little interest except for those wanting to fake having only one hand that does not work. Spectators are gullible, not stupid.

Your approach to having one hand busy tweeks my excitement a bit. I could see alternating speech and playing with both the pipe and music being a "wand"
for misdirection and directed focus. The music is the "reason for the magic." Different melody for a vanish, production, transportation, etc. -
or each cup has a different tune to indicate where the ball now is - only confirmed by the visual display (or not)

Maybe you can find a pitch/vibration that can turn off cellphones at a table Smile

Write me ken@eversway.com to discuss so that I can attach things. I have several partially developed effects and some practiced ones.
How about a "coins thru table" with four coins one at a time into a glass held between your knees?
or finding thought of cards with a spectator shuffling the cards because you cannot?

Also, check out what ventriloquist do with one hand busy - and mimes too.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Melephin
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Melephin
Check out the DVD Maestro by Rene Lavand. All beautyful routines and all done with one hand. Can't find anything better in this area. Mostly card tricks but also a wonderful routine with a cup and three breadcrumbs.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Mr. Woolery,
I'd skip the Magic,
stick to Music,...
and add another instrument to the Show.
https://youtu.be/UoLE31Y83LM

😊

hee hee he.

How about a dancing,..floating cigarette,.
via Steve Fearson?
Maybe a dancing snake,...out of the basket?
,....with a little fancy foot-work?

Naaa!
ADD THE PIANO!

Smiles,
..and good luck,
Gallagher

p.s.: Pete Seeger played 'the Tarantella',
using TWO Records,...Bock Flutes,..
at the same time(!).
It was a great number.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
The one hand knot in rope. This is done holding a rope by the end in a vertical position and with a slight shake a simple knot forms. Takes a lot of practice.

Rising cards (Devano)

Jumbo Card change (king changes to queen)

Color changing rope (spring loaded)
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Thank you for reviving this! I did get Funsway’s ebook. There are some very good ideas in there, though geared more for close up. Tabor pipes are rather loud, so better for a busking type performance.

I appreciate the further suggestions. I am not sure anything will ever come of it, but this is an idea I want to keep exploring.

Patrick
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Did someone say, "One Hand?" Smile

*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
That’s lovely!

Patrick
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You might want to try a one-handed riffle shuffle. While it's not actually magic, the audiences love it!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » One handed magic ideas? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL