The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Drew Backenstoss Penguin Live Act (108 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
CL
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
75 Posts

Profile of CL
Fantastic performance and lecture. Thank you Drew.
nbl
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of nbl
Incredible lecture!!!
I have bought around 10 lectures yet and found Drew's and Manos' to be the best!

Regards
NBL
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Thought it was great (and says a lot imo) that Marc sat down for a conversation as well.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
This lecture is an absolute must buy for anyone interested in performing Mentalism in stage environments. The attention to detail is extraordinary. I had issues with some of the routining- having people scrambling around looking for a scrunched up ball of paper at the finale of the act was a strange choice -and I personally found Drew's stage persona to be a little too normal and nice to be totally believable, but the structure of the act is superb and his control of the audience and mastery of the material is hugely impressive. This is up there with the very best Mentalism lectures featured by Penguin.

People selling Mentalism products often talk about pricing their material to keep it in the hands of professional performers -when most of the material could never really be used in most professional environments. But here you get four hours of incredible professional insight for $40. It's great to see affordable material released that is trying to keep the stage Mentalism flame burning! Hopefully lectures like this will inspire young mentalists to aim high.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Thank you Martin for those very kind words!

I completely agree about the staging of the finale as it was presented in the lecture Smile I wasn’t ready to give away my FULL finale sequence so I had to adjust the way it played out for that show specifically and I could have made better routining choices. There’s actually a little discussion about that very topic in the sub forum for the lecture on Penguin’s site.

Best wishes,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
It's a solid lecture - but in the end I believe Drew (who admits that his architecture is BUILT on the backs of creators with a capital C in his book) has to show a bit more respect to those creators (capital C as he says in his book) to whom he borrows so frequently.

Ideas and tools do not come from thin air. Creators work very hard to innovate. It isn't easy.

Drew is super talented & learning, but I suggest that he take a moment and read through the forward of his own book. Creators with a capital C (as quoted from his book) do not freely bestow the use of our ideas to performers like him (small c as he mentions in his book), and the best way to ***support*** them is not to just emulate them - but to PURCHASE their creations.

That is what I do. That is how I support creators like myself. This is how to show respect.

Life isn't a one way street.

Anyone can write a clever cookbook (or video) put together with others core ideas. And great to give credits. But the best credit is to support the original creators whenever possible by BUYING their works.

This will be my only post on this thread as I don't want to get too deeply into the weeds, and hopefully Drew will grow and learn. Wishing him all good things as he is a talented young man.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Brett,

I did everything within my power to obtain permission from all those whose ideas I discuss both within the lecture and book. I'm genuinely not sure what I did to deserve that rebuke...

I feel as though you may be casting blame without knowing what lengths I went to so as to ensure that I wasn't stepping on anyone's toes.

My respect for those who have blazed the trail before me is deep. I'm at a loss regarding your post...

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Wow, what an incredibly accusatory, ungrounded and ignorant post Saysold! Firstly, I have spoken to Drew a fair few times since reading his book as he seems like an incredibly genuine, careful, caring and compassionate person who clearly cares a great deal about the art. Secondly, how on earth do you know the lengths he went to to obtain permission for the book and further more, what makes you think that those creators wouldn't love the developments Drew has made to their works? I for one LOVE when someone tells me how they have altered my methods and works and expanded on them! That is what sharing magic is all about. Expanding the art and growing as an art form. The book has been celebrated by so many magicians even those with ideas in the book. So get of your high horse and stop being so rude and ignorant!

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
To be fair, Brett's post was thoughtfully and politely worded with no overt or hint of malice. But if we're honest, it could be interpreted as a little passive-aggressive. So the question is...

In your opinion, what thing did he not do specifically that he could have to avoid what you felt warranted the comment in the first place?

You obviously feel someone's been wronged in some manner to level such an insinuation at least. And from what I know of Drew, I agree 100% with everything Jamie said about him. He's a stand-up guy. Just feels a little unfair to suggest something but then bow out.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2019, saysold1 wrote:
It's a solid lecture - but in the end I believe Drew (who admits that his architecture is BUILT on the backs of creators with a capital C in his book) has to show a bit more respect to those creators (capital C as he says in his book) to whom he borrows so frequently.

Ideas and tools do not come from thin air. Creators work very hard to innovate. It isn't easy.

Drew is super talented & learning, but I suggest that he take a moment and read through the forward of his own book. Creators with a capital C (as quoted from his book) do not freely bestow the use of our ideas to performers like him (small c as he mentions in his book), and the best way to ***support*** them is not to just emulate them - but to PURCHASE their creations.

That is what I do. That is how I support creators like myself. This is how to show respect.

Life isn't a one way street.

Anyone can write a clever cookbook (or video) put together with others core ideas. And great to give credits. But the best credit is to support the original creators whenever possible by BUYING their works..

And some of us older timers are upset that the ancient and little used concept of the Svengali pad has been all but rendered useless by being industrialized and turned into the McDonalds of mentalism. But one sadly has to come to terms with the reality that Mentalism is now like a gold rush in the Wild West- people grabbing what they can, while they can.

If Drew has stolen the work of others without permission then that is a serious charge. Such a serious accusation should not be made so vaguely in my opinion.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2019, Nathan Alexander wrote:
But if we're honest, it could be interpreted as a little passive-aggressive.

No interpretation necessary.

Not sure at all what he's even talking about. Drew is one of the good guys when it comes to crediting.

And he's no different than any other creator. He builds on existing ideas, and he's very good at it.

And he's VERY thorough about crediting.

Very odd...
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2019, Martin Pulman wrote:

And some of us older timers are upset that the ancient and little used concept of the Svengali pad has been all but rendered useless by being industrialized and turned into the McDonalds of mentalism. But one sadly has to come to terms with the reality that Mentalism is now like a gold rush in the Wild West- people grabbing what they can, while they can.

Seriously.

Do you think he's mad because Drew used a bulldog deck instead of a Svenpad(TM)? Is Brett himself the creator in question that should have been supported? Because, um the Bulldog deck precedes the Svenpad(TM)... A lot of us have used Bulldog decks since Bob published the idea.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
It is the reference to Drew not BUYING the work of creators (lower-case c) that is an unusual accusation to make of a performer. How does Brett know what items Drew has or hasn't "purchased"?

Curiouser and curiouser as Alice would say while lowering her sunglasses.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2019, Martin Pulman wrote:
It is the reference to Drew not BUYING the work of creators (lower-case c) that is an unusual accusation to make of a performer. How does Brett know what items Drew has or hasn't "purchased"?

Curiouser and curiouser as Alice would say while lowering her sunglasses.

I just re-read the post - after reading MP above quoted post

That second read through - did seem even more odd... [maybe my reading was coloured by MP post]... but on that second read it really seemed as if Brett was suggesting that Drew was buying pirate copies [?]

I did think it was odd at first when Brett is known for producing something - he certainally was not the creator of - neither big nor small c

And I remember a few years ago, having a PM/email conversation with a well respected creator - about how although his effect was very neat, I wouldn't be doing it - as it used a sven pad [that is any swen pad - not in paticular a Brett one]

As I had never used one - but seen them on all the TV shows, multiple times, and even then [a few years ago] I decided I NEVER wanted to use one - as it felt over exposed

Anyway I think I have digressed...

Not sure what is worse implying stuff... or the 'not going to post again' mic drop... hmm
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
It is currently 1:42 AM (MST) and I should be sound asleep resting for a busy day at work tomorrow... instead, I have allowed Brett's recent correspondence to eat away at my thoughts.

Approximately 8 years ago I was at a precipice; I was only a few years into my marriage, there were plans to begin a family at some point, I was progressing through my undergraduate degree in Finance, and the prospects of my future career were looming just around the corner. Due to all of these factors I decided that it would be wise to devise a personal code of ethics to help guide me through the big decisions that life would throw at me. I titled the document: "Principles of My Intentional Life."

In it I outline my four core values: Honesty, Integrity, Diligence, and Charity. I then go into great detail about how I want to behave as a husband, father, son, brother, friend, professional and American. Two of those details are of particular importance to Brett's comment(s) - "I will strive to . . . not take credit for the accomplishment of another [&] adhere to strict standards of transparency in all business transactions."

It is for these reasons that I take Brett's post to be a personal attack against my morals.

In the pursuit of absolute transparency below I'm going to share the extent of interaction that I've had with Brett. I do this because I have nothing to hide and I'll allow all interested parties to reach their own conclusions about both of our characters.

THE BRIEF SYNOPSIS:

Brett contacted me via FaceBook on May 12, 2019 and invited me to post a link to my Penguin lecture on the SvenPad FB user group. In the ensuing weeks he and I had many pleasant interactions. This past Saturday, August 10, 2019, he messaged me about one of his recent releases and encouraged me to purchase it. A day later he posts on this thread. Simultaneous to that post he sends me a fairly aggressive message on FB and then promptly "un-friends" me and, I believe, removed me from the SvenPad group.

FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN THE FULL STORY:

May 12, 2019

Brett: Hey Drew I just wanted to let you know that you are more than welcome to post a link for your penguin lecture on our SvenPad Facebook users group. I downloaded the video myself but I have not had time to watch it yet but of course I understand that it is first class and five star. Wishing you all the best and if I can ever be of service in anyway please let me know. We do make custom props privately for many top performers around the world. Thanks for your support and glad to support a generous professional like you.

Me: Hi Brett - it's a pleasure to communicate with you! The lecture run time (all content included) is just over 5 hours... so it'll take some time to get through haha Smile

I appreciate the offer to post in the SvenPad FB Group. In the sake of full transparency I did mention something in the lecture (a personal opinion) that I hope doesn't alienate you and I...

In one routine I use something similar to Cassidy's "Bull*** D***" to accomplish a force of sorts. During the explanation I advocate the use of a "Tele***** D***" over a "Sven**** P**" because, and again this is merely my opinion, I think Sven Pads are overused... they are always showing up on TV clips and talent shows and I'm concerned that it (along with a number of other stellar techniques) is starting to enter the public's awareness...

I prefer the very open and natural display that a tele***** d*** allows as well as the fact that it can be casually mixed before the participant takes his or her peek.

I tell you all this simply because I wouldn't want you to feel betrayed in any way by my lecture...

Please don't get me wrong - you and your team create a LOVELY line of products... I just feel like it's too quickly jumped to as a method/tool at the moment. I would ABSOLUTELY recommend any of your "Sven" products as a pre**** tool but I'm not crazy about their use out in the open. Once the "craze" dies down I'd be happy to see them used again with discretion (I'm a big believer in "all things in moderation").

I hope you can understand my position and that it doesn't detract from our ability to correspond. I also hope it doesn't tarnish your reception of the lecture when you get around to watching it.

Brett: No I totally understand. I haven't watch the complete video yet. Bob Cassidy was very close and dear friend of mine, and he was actually quite instrumental in the original creation of the first SvenPad that I came out with. As a matter fact he scary movie routine is included on the original PDF instructions. He was a mentor for me and I also studied under him and weekly basis for a most two years. One thing you will notice with any of my pads is that each one is designed to Look absolutely 100% perfect in terms of something you would buy at a drugstore. You can't easily make at home what we make in hand check. We also changed the front design of the original KoD pad recently to make it a bit less searchable. There's always a balance between putting out a popular product that is embraced by the community and keeping it a secret. All the TV exposure cuts both ways. My good friend [name redacted] has had most of his products on all of the talent shows multiple times. But I don't think it necessarily dilutes the power of his products nor mine. As long as they are used well. But I'm proud to say that all of our products are the best you can buy, we created the entire category, and they are used by every top professional in the world. As a matter fact right now I'm creating something custom for [name drop], we've also created custom products for [name drop] and others. I hear your concerns, but if I take my foot off the gas then every single Chinese and Indian manufacturer in the world will simply suck up the air and put out crap products using the same concept for the fertile ground that we've made for them. In the larger scheme of things I'll give you one example - the ID which is probably one of the best gimmicked decks if not the best it was ever created. I don't think that the public's knowledge of ID is any greater now than it was in the 1930s or 40s. My advice to you would be focus on quality tools And with great presentations - 99.99% of your audience will not be focusing on the tools because frankly they really don't matter to them. I think we as performers put a lot of weight on tools and whether people recognize them when sometimes we should not. Wishing you the best of luck.

I agree that sometimes these tools are best use for pre****, but there are multiple ways to use tools just like building a house. Take care and sending you best regards from Austin Texas.

Me: Those are really strong and valid points.

Like I said - it's just a personal opinion Smile I agree that the majority of audiences are simply along for the ride. Perhaps my reservations are merely my desire to buck trends and be a bit of a contrarian haha.

I know your products are top of the line though so no disagreements there!

Brett: No worries sir. Use the tools to get you to where you want to be - build the entertainment house you want to build. They are only quality tools. I'm just trying to create great tools and it gives me a lot of pleasure to see people using them in creating with them. I work very hard to create new things for people like us. Many new things coming in in the works. Long and short is only one small part of the story. Cheers.

Me: I shared all of the above with you simply because I didn't want you to be upset once you watched the lecture and heard my opinion Smile

Looking forward to seeing what you've got in the works!

I'd love to stay in contact!

Brett: [Name drop] said many of the same things some years ago. Now he's finally using my stuff. If I was a car mechanic I wouldn't make my own tools even if I could - I would use Snap-on or the best made. The audience cares about a good show - that's what matters. My tools aren't magic store toys.

May 13, 2019

Brett messages me about purchasing my book. I send him the link. He mentions that he noticed that my book had been pirated and I respond that I'm working on getting the PDF taken down.

May 18, 2019

Brett: I'm at 2 hours in - enjoying the lecture. So do you own any of my SvenPads currently? The mention against sven**** p*** wasn't an issue for me. Bob's bull*** d*** is credited in my PDF. One of the pads you might dig is the Sven Notes sticky notes style. I use them on stage often and very deceptive. Also I would suggest you watch the [here he shared a specific technique and a link to a video about it].

One idea with the Sven Notes is at beginning of show [he shares a great idea]. Enjoy - great for Keynotes

Me: Thanks for taking the time to watch the lecture Brett!

May 18, 2019

Brett: I've been using a similar [mention of a method used in the booktest I presented in the lecture] for many years. Almost identical to the method that you used. It's quite a well-known method and something that has been discussed with our PEA members in the past on our ravens nest forum. I also like the way you tied in Chuck's Mentalism Inc. ideas as well. In the past I've used his "books galore" routine which obviously is very similar to what I saw. But you nicely twisted his routine by adding in the mo**** book, which is far better as it kills the ***-*** !@#$* p*** method. Great stuff and obviously you have a very unique way of tying things together with multiple callbacks which creates a lot of texture for a show. Very cool stuff.

Me: I figured that others used a similar [mention of method] - I'm not a member of PEA but the Raven's Nest sounds like a great resource!

Brett: Please consider joining us at some point. Your best contact is going to be [name redacted] who I'm sure you know.

Me: I've never had the pleasure of communicating with [name redacted] but that would be extraordinary!

He then tries to connect me with someone I greatly admire - a very thoughtful and kind gesture.

August 10, 2019

Brett: Hey Drew you should grab a copy of my new book test. I promise you that it's an absolute monster. Since you like to understanding use new concepts, you will find that the numbering system that is used in the book is brand new and mentalism and I promise you has not been used before. Feel free to grab a copy. It's the best thing that I've ever created. Good luck with your endeavors and I hope all is well.

Me: Thanks Brett! I've heard great things about it!

Brett: Cool you should grab a copy.

Me: The page numbering system is similar to the Sven pad numbering system by Spidey right? That is an exceptional idea.

Brett: Actually it's far beyond that my friend. Grab a copy and you'll see the whole architectural design. The original idea was actually proposed by Mike Maione my partner back in 2011. We explain the history in the PDF. Thanks for your support wishing you all the best. You could probably also make something like this yourself with a paper cutter. Maybe that would be a cool idea.

August 11, 2019

Brett: In your book you brag about how much you respect creators. With a C not a small C as I recall in the book. The one that I purchased from you. Except it seems that you like to take a lot of ideas from creators like me and plug them into your own work. But the reality is that you might want to consider showing a little more respect to the creators with a C. By supporting their works yourself. Without us then perhaps there would be no "House" for the mystery architect to build in the first place? I don't create these precision products for my health or to just make money, I do it to provide brand new powerful **tools** for people like you to use. So I strongly suggest since you seem to be flying high these days - to maybe step back a bit & calm yourself down just a little and look back on your book at the forward section and make a decision as to whether you truly seek to support creators with a capital C. Because if you don't, then frankly I'm not gonna support you either. I know that may seem harsh, But I work with most of the top mystery entertainers in the world including [name drop] and [name drop]. So since you're trying to climb the ladder from Human Resources, you might want to try and bestow a little more respect in what you say and what you do - and walk the walk rather than just talk. That would be truly impressive.

Me: Hi Brett. In all honesty I'm not sure what you're referring to.I bent over backwards to seek permission from everyone to include their ideas... I feel as though you've accused me without clarifying your position.

You insinuate that I've stolen something by not purchasing it... to what are you referring? From my perspective your comments are genuinely coming from left field...

THEN RADIO SILENCE FROM BRETT. I CAME TO REALIZE THAT HE HAS UN-FRIENDED ME SO HE DIDN'T GET MY REPLY.

I know this post is lengthy but I won't tolerate bullying when my integrity is questioned.

Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I wouldn't worry about it, Drew. I'm sure Brett was just having a bad day. As long as you know in your heart that you've acted with integrity, that's all that counts.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Sorry Drew but did you used to date Brett?

As he seems like some psycho ex
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
I beleive by revealing a private conversation in public is unethical. It's just something that should never be done regardless of the situation.

It's like secretly recording a private conversation the using it against the person. My opinion is what Drew revealed in his post was wrong.

I like both these cats. No dog in the fight.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2019, John C wrote:
I beleive by revealing a private conversation in public is unethical. It's just something that should never be done regardless of the situation.

It's like secretly recording a private conversation the using it against the person. My opinion is what Drew revealed in his post was wrong.

I like both these cats. No dog in the fight.

I don't think that holds true as an ethical principle. You think it was unethical to release the Donald Trump "p**** grabbing" tape, which was a private conversation?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I am quite speechless reading all that... I know Brett quite well, even more, we are friends... his line of products is great and of excellent quality, selling well. So, somehow I have no explanation for this "evolution".

I haven't seen Drew's lecture until now, but read his book which I think is simply superb... and I see in there a lot of crediting, original ideas, further developments of classic principles, wonderful scripting... and using Cassidy's "Bull... D..." put a big smile on my face as I do that too, for various reasons BTW, some have been mentioned here... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Drew Backenstoss Penguin Live Act (108 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL