The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Black Hole » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2019, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2019, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2019, R.S. wrote:
There is a common bumper sticker that I’ve seen that says “God said it, I believe it, that settles it.” That proves my point.

Only if your point is that some people have stupid bumper stickers.

No, it proves my point that It frees some believers from having to engage in intellectually honest conversations by declaring the matter settled.

Ron

Kind of the way amny want to stop thinking about climate change because ir is "settled science " and 97% of scientists agree so shut up is the way to go?

Yea tell me you don't parallel religious fervor LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2019, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2019, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2019, landmark wrote:
And often those believers have institutional power.

I'm not sure how many there are, and I'm not sure what the threshold is for "often", so I'll leave that one to your judgment.

Virtually all our higher elected officials. Of the current 535 members of congress, I don’t think there is even ONE openly atheist member! Historically, our Presidents, Senators, Congressmen (and women), Governors, etc. have pretty much all extolled the virtues of their religious faith. But I’ll be extremely generous and say that 10% of our elected officials have been atheists. That’s still a huge imbalance.

Sounds like evidence that the atheists don't care.

How is that evidence that atheists “don’t care”? If anything, it’s evidence that the deck is stacked against them in the general electorate.

Quote:

Because, of course, if they did care they'd have mounted a campaign to get many more atheists elected.

You're presuming that a) atheists don't care, and b) there have not been campaigns to support atheists.

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what percentage of the US population is atheist? (Feel free to use any definition of "atheist" here that suits you.)

That’s a good question and the polls do vary on that. I think a reasonable estimate is anywhere from 3-9%.

Based on that estimate, and your generous estimate that 10% of elected officials have been atheists, it appears that non-atheists have been underrepresented in US government.

I presume that you have a plan to correct this egregiously unfair state of affairs.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I sure hope he does. How long can we live with such an imbalance?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Quote:
Are you suggesting that, as believers, magicfish and I are not allowed to disagree?

Nope. Just pointing it out, that’s all.

Out of curiosity, why?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Are you referring to this? (just want to make sure):

“It is because it frees many believers from having to engage in intellectually honest conversations. There is a common bumper sticker that I’ve seen that says “God said it, I believe it, that settles it.” That proves my point.”

Yes.

What you write sounds like an indictment against God being the ultimate answer to everything, when it should be an indictment against the people who abuse it.

Why blame the tool? Blame the user.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Black Hole » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL