The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Skynet Project by Marc Lavelle (111 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Elliot Marx
View Profile
New user
Australia
71 Posts

Profile of Elliot Marx
P.s. any reviewer that states this can be performed with no clothing restrictions is plain wrong, UNLESS performing in a very controlled environment (i.e. not walk around). I would hate to purchase this with that sentiment as I’d have been disappointed.

Just saying.

Elliot
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1641 Posts

Profile of 252life
Nicely explained
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
422 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
I have this and I really like it.
I don’t see any clothing issues to be honest.
I also think that the “perform it naked” reference from that review was referring to one specific handling that you don’t “wear” the gimmick.

Bests,
MP
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7527 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On May 1, 2019, M Pitcher wrote:
I have this and I really like it.
I don’t see any clothing issues to be honest.
I also think that the “perform it naked” reference from that review was referring to one specific handling that you don’t “wear” the gimmick.

Bests,
MP

That old chestnut. Brilliant Smile
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2986 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
I already have several different index systems (Solano’s Q; Tony Miller; Charlie Miller and Ron Wilson’s index with mods by Munari and Grippo; Tony Curtis’s Kollossal Killer wallet; Dean Dill, etc), but bought this out of curiosity and the no-pocketspace feature. Not disappointed at all. This is well made, useful and different in form and function than others. If you’re willing to take it apart, there are all kinds of places you could stash this tool on or off your body.

The only downside, IMO, is the fact that retrieval is a two-step process, whereas with an index like Q it’s only one step. And actually the second step here involves more finger motion than the Q-class indexes, motion that you’ll either have to justify or cover with misdirection. So I’m probably going to stick with Q when pocket space allows, but am glad to have this and plan on keeping it as an alternative.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
clars
View Profile
Regular user
Folsom Ca
103 Posts

Profile of clars
What is the Q-class indexes. Thanks
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3298 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Quote:
On May 2, 2019, clars wrote:
What is the Q-class indexes. Thanks

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=109
magikmax
View Profile
New user
Scotland
18 Posts

Profile of magikmax
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2019, Elliot Marx wrote:
I got this. My thoughts are mixed.

The items received seem relatively sturdy and will last.

The concept is pretty good and different, but you’re ultimately at the mercy of the clothing you choose to perform in.

That said, while I don’t think this will suit everyone, it will definitely be a viable option to consider if having one of these ‘systems’ is important to your end goals. At the end of the day an item like this will ultimately have its opportunity costs, for obvious reasons. The ad copy about pocket space is true, but the sacrifice has to be made elsewhere. You’ll need to make the call as an individual performer, but you WILL need ‘cover’. Definite no if you don’t have adequate clothing cover that will mask the required actions. I will assume for most this won’t be a deal breaker, rather, require some ‘adjustment’.

Will I use this in favour of other known systems? Honestly, I’m unsure.

This isn’t as straightforward as making a decision to slip something into your pockets and do your thing. But then again, I’m not a ‘card worker’. I’m using this for billets.

You’ll need to make the call as to whether pocket space is more important than the commitment of working this system.

I do, however, think this would suit some people very well.

I’d be curious to see what other people think after using it, and comparing to other systems.

Elliot

Having received mine, I think Elliot's comments are pretty much bang on, and largely echo my own. I don't think anyone could be more detailed without tipping the method. For my uses and my performance attire, this will be fine. I wear a three piece suit when performing close-up, and trousers, shirt and waistcoat when working parlour. My clothing is loose fitting to my preference, and this is essential to hide the slight bulk of the gimmick. If you are used to wearing skinny jeans and a tight fit t-shirt (I would look like Mick Foley in a g**p costume if I did that), you would need to consider adding a shirt or hoodie on top of this for adequate cover. It's also worth noting that the gimmick does not need to be worn, for those who perform seated or use a roll-on table etc.

On the face of it, you're either going to realise that there really is no TARDIS like gimmick that will hold a full 52 card i***x without a degree of bulk and accept and appreciate Marc's well thought-out design, or you're not going to like it and stick it in the drawer. The location of the gimmick can be customised to your preference, and depending on your clothing choices (both style and quality) you may need to experiment a little. The design is clever, and allows you to recover what you need quickly and accurately.

My number one concern when purchasing a wearable or something that attaches to the body like a p**l is whether or not it'll work just the same for a larger person like myself as the trim magician in the video, or whether I am going to have to adjust it with the magical equivalent of kilt or seat belt extenders. I can confirm that there are no such issues here.

The instructional video that comes with the SkyNet Project is ok, but could have been better. I would have appreciated more in-depth instruction on how to get said card from the gimmick to where it needs to be. I'm experienced enough to figure it out on my own, but I can see some angles being an issue for someone performing this in minimal clothing, and it would have been nice for these to have been highlighted better. Finally, while other ideas for uses of the gimmick were included, these were glanced over rather than explained in detail or routined. The routine with the bag in the video demo is explained in detail.

It might be worth mentioning (again without giving anything away) that this is definitely designed for using with playing cards. The way that the items are held is of a fixed depth and cannot be adjusted. You could use billets provided you had enough of them, folded photographs or even paper money, but the thickness needs to be the same as the cards would be when folded.

Finally, on the subject of folding - there was a bit made at the start of this thread about mercury folded cards. As far as I'm concerned, the Mercury Card Fold is a sleight, and this is not necessary at all for this. The cards are simply folded into quarters. The only sleights necessary for performance are those you would use to make a coin or sponge ball appear or disappear, and given careful handling, can be performed at leisure without any heat.

I hope that helps anyone on the fence in making their decision.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2330 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
I think the gimmick is really well made and great idea. Works as stated. But for me not very practical . Not something I would want to wear around all day let’s say. You Definitely need good misdirection to retrieve the card for me. Ended up selling mine.
MarkinMadison
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of MarkinMadison
For people who know Looch's pocket index, how does Skynet compare? Pro's/Con's? Thanks!
Paul Forster
View Profile
Regular user
Harrogate
178 Posts

Profile of Paul Forster
Bought it and sent it straight back. It just isn't practical for my choice of fashion.
Paranormal Entertainer
www.paulforster.co.uk

Proud member of PSYCRETS - British Society of Mystery Entertainers

Member of the Harrogate Society of Magicians
www.harrogatesocietyofmagicians.com
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Quote:
On May 3, 2019, MarkinMadison wrote:
For people who know Looch's pocket index, how does Skynet compare? Pro's/Con's? Thanks!

Completely different. Really can’t compare. I have both. Looch’s is for the minimalist, Marc’s is for the completist. I hope this helps.
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
lyoma
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of lyoma
In place of wearing it, can you install Skynet project under the table, like a servent? I don't have to perform standup.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1641 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On May 3, 2019, lyoma wrote:
In place of wearing it, can you install Skynet project under the table, like a servent? I don't have to perform standup.

Yes. That’s actually addressed in the last instructional vid.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
lyoma
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of lyoma
Quote:
On May 3, 2019, 252life wrote:
Quote:
On May 3, 2019, lyoma wrote:

Yes. That’s actually addressed in the last instructional vid.

Thanks a lot!
g.albinana
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
I think it is very dangerous to say that it is not clothing restricted...it´s a nice effect for a TV special or something like this but I don´t see this being comfortable in working conditions, even less existing way other options much more practical than this. I would do a regular Invisible Deck routine way before using this gimmick on a gig or from table to table...or If I want kind of the same approach as the one shown in the video. Adrian Vega´s work is way more clever, effective, and powerfull in my opinion...not comercially related or something...
Craigers
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of Craigers
I just got this. I think the idea is good but I don't think I will use this in its primary intended mode. I think there will be more flexibility dividing it into two and incorporating the two halves into the inside of a jacket, either at the two sides or around the bottom.
lyoma
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of lyoma
Can somebody compare Skynet project and Miller index? I have none of them; I have just Q and The Advocate, am looking for a really practical full index of 52 cards.
patrick85
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of patrick85
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2019, Christopher Williams wrote:
Another idea, if possible, is to have a bag on the table full of blank faced cards all folded up. They name one, reach into the bag and pull one out, first reveal is it is their named card which is magical in itself. Secondly, people from the group pull out cards at random and open them to reveal they are all blank. Alternatively obviously they can pull cards out first and then you reach in and 'pull one out'. Reveal you got the named card only for them to have blanks. There will be plenty of ideas for this, sounds great!

Hello Christopher,

Hello from France !
THANK YOU for this great idea.
Sorry, I'm not very good at the language.

cordially

Andy
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4450 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On May 8, 2019, patrick85 wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2019, Christopher Williams wrote:
Another idea, if possible, is to have a bag on the table full of blank faced cards all folded up. They name one, reach into the bag and pull one out, first reveal is it is their named card which is magical in itself. Secondly, people from the group pull out cards at random and open them to reveal they are all blank. Alternatively obviously they can pull cards out first and then you reach in and 'pull one out'. Reveal you got the named card only for them to have blanks. There will be plenty of ideas for this, sounds great!

Hello Christopher,

Hello from France !
THANK YOU for this great idea.
Sorry, I'm not very good at the language.

cordially

Andy

You're welcome
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Skynet Project by Marc Lavelle (111 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.58 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL