The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What should I release next? (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
231 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
What should I release next?

DVD's / Videos:

Cold Reading
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2872

Theory and Business
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S19259

20-minute ACT with a Theme
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11301

Lecture notes / Books:

I have three sets of lecture notes and my effects appear in -
Psychological Subtleties 2 by Banachek
Septet by Jack Kent Tillar
Miracles of My Friends II by Burton Sperber

And 2 years of articles in MUM magazine for the Society of American Magicians

What would my fellow Mentalists like me to release next?
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Hey Paul, your cold reading lecture was excellent! Do you have any more cold reading material for a second lecture?
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
231 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2019, Stunninger wrote:
Hey Paul, your cold reading lecture was excellent! Do you have any more cold reading material for a second lecture?

I certainly perform a lot of cold reading and can talk about it more, especially with the use of different tools. Perhaps something on cold reading and psychometry.

Thank you!
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
If you do a Q&A routine, that would also be great to see and learn your approach. Q&A, like cold reading, seem to have never-ending appeal and interest by many.
Psy
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of Psy
A full DVD lecture on a Q&A routine
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1608 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Paul, my introduction to you was when you were the special guest here and gave a link (no apparently gone) to your Anthropological Cold Reading PEP talk. That 20 minute intro to cartomancy really changed how I looked at cards and what could be done with them. You mentioned in that short lecture being one of several performers booked for walk-around performing and being the only one with a line, getting tips.

If I were to have a chance to sit down and just talk with you about this art and craft, I would ask you about how you approach walk-around mentalism performing, how you move from doing a trick to doing a reading, and how you keep it entertaining to more than just the person for whom you are reading.

That said, I once saw a clip of you doing a psychometry demo for a TV station, promoting an upcoming show. What I loved most was when one of the hosts held up a sucker with a bug in it (scorpion?) and you described it something like "I'm getting sort of a contradiction here, like it is something nice and pleasant, but there's something really creepy about it, too." And that's all you said about it. I'd love a frank explanation of your approach to psychometry in general and when and how you think it is most effective and appropriate.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think I have enough material to last two lifetimes. What I need is more understanding of how to make that material meaningful to the audience. And meaningful can be entertaining, affecting, or amazing. How do I make the material I have connect better?

-Patrick
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
231 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
Others have recently released some Q and A routines. Is the market to saturated with them? If not, that is a real possibility!
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2019, Paul Draper wrote:
Others have recently released some Q and A routines. Is the market to saturated with them? If not, that is a real possibility!

Only my opinion, but I think the interest in Q&A routines remains strong and enduring. If you go to Docc's website, for example, and select the Q&A category, there are 24 products he has released. And he just released a new Q&A program, with another one promised on the way soon.

Why so many Q&A systems? Because people will buy them.

Richard Osterlind has released at least 5 Q&A systems that I can think of off the top of my head.

Q&A systems, like cold reading systems and peek wallets seem to be three items the market has a strong passion in and an almost insatiable appetite for.

In my opinion it's valuable to learn new insights and approaches from a highly successful, polished pro like yourself. A complete demonstration, followed by a detailed explanation of the mechanics, along with in-depth discussion on how to make the presentation as impactful and entertaining as possible, would be fantastic. There's always more to learn.
Psy
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of Psy
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2019, Paul Draper wrote:

I agree with you... others may have released some Q&A routines but does not make it less valuable if you were to release a really good or original Q&A routine
clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
Your approach to Q&A would certainly be welcome. To better assist us with answering this question, what are some areas of mentalism that you haven't released anything on that you feel you have expertise?
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
623 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
The hounds. Release the hounds!

And Cold Reading Smile
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Release your work on the newspaper test. Always enjoyed watching it. Proper fooler.
aukt
View Profile
Special user
768 Posts

Profile of aukt
Please - the newspaper test I saw you do on tv!

And q&a!

But first the newspaper bit.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What should I release next? (10 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL