The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Height for close up table (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Signet
I was looking for a concensus of opinion on the perfect height for a close up table. I know it might depend on the height of the magician. I'm 6' tall. I happen to have a small table that was made for LEGOs. It's meant for a child, so the legs are too short. I have to replace them with new legs that fold and add a felt covered board, but that shouldn't be too hard. It has a raised molding around the edges, to keep the LEGOs from falling off. With a little TLC it could be just like the table in the L&L videos. What do you think?
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
Some things to consider:

1. Your height and body build. What angle to you want to have your arms while you work?

2. What kind of effects will you be performing? Lower for cards, higher for chop cup, for example.
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Signet
I'll be doing card tricks as well as coins. I was thinking belly button height would be about what I want. I just wanted to get some opinions and maybe there's points that I'm failing to consider.
John Martin
View Profile
Special user
994 Posts

Profile of John Martin
The rule I go by, given to me by an old time pro, is to stand straight with the palms flat on the table top.That should be the height. This way you are not bending over when working and people can see the top of the table.

John
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3005 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2019, John Martin wrote:
The rule I go by, given to me by an old time pro, is to stand straight with the palms flat on the table top.That should be the height. This way you are not bending over when working and people can see the top of the table.

John

That makes perfect sense to me!

— at 6 ft tall, my table needs to be higher then my dining room table which at 1st I assumed would be to high.
3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Signet
Thanks for all the replies. They have been very helpful. I will make it higher than I first thought. I'm going to call around to car apolstry shops to see if I can get some leftover felt from headliners.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
761 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
Billiard cloth is also a viable choice for close-up tables. Billiard cloth has the toughness to hold up to significant use. Tabman recommended Mali billiard cloth but I'm sure there are many good brands.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2993 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
See if you can borrow a music stand from your local high school so you can easily raise it and lower it to try it out at various heights. Once you figure it out, whip out your tape measure and you have your answer as to how high it should be. I actually prefer working with a conductor's music stand because it's easy to move around, and I can lower it when I sit, and raise it when I stand. The "lip" I keep in the back of the "table" and use it to hide stuff. Also, because it's made of metal, you can stick stuff to it using magnets. You can also tilt it to let the audience see the surface better, and raise it up as a display stand, or stand it straight up as a sign: "Next show in Five Minutes" etc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Height for close up table (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL