The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Ebay Ripoff? "Very Fine Stripper deck" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chucklerich
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
I bought a pack of Bee playing cards "Very Fine" stripper deck. I got em out and tried very hard to tell how it was tapered. I couldn't see it even when I flipped one of the cards around. It was just barely perceivable after I got it under some better light and tried very hard to detect a jutting edge of the card. I was able to find it and when I switched in a card from regular pack of bee cards I could feel a greater difference.

HOWEVER After I carefully shuffled the deck(making sure to correctly orient the halves) about 12 times to break them in a bit; it became impossible to perceive a flipped around card and even when I put a card in from an ungaffed deck I couldn't perceive the difference as I had before. Thus ten dollars has gone down the drain (Or I bought a very expensive pack of Bee playing cards).Are these "Very Fine" Stripper decks for people with very fine sense of touch and never meant to be shuffled? Or have I been ripped off?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4534 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
You have not likely been ripped off (unless they are not real “Bees”. The advertising of “very fine” tips it as you seem to have received. Very fine would normally be something a card cheat with a refined touch (or feel) would almost always search out (if looking). Very fine is also great for magicians but you do need a light and “practiced” touch to use them. Actually, the Phoenix Brand Stripper decks have a fairly fine taper. Add the fact that they tweak the back design to match the taper, it can be nearly undetectable. TV Magic Cards, Beginner Magic Sets and (most) mass produced rider back bikes have a more noticeable brief but should pass right by a layman still.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2019, Poof-Daddy wrote:
You have not likely been ripped off (unless they are not real “Bees”. The advertising of “very fine” tips it as you seem to have received. Very fine would normally be something a card cheat with a refined touch (or feel) would almost always search out (if looking). Very fine is also great for magicians but you do need a light and “practiced” touch to use them. Actually, the Phoenix Brand Stripper decks have a fairly fine taper. Add the fact that they tweak the back design to match the taper, it can be nearly undetectable. TV Magic Cards, Beginner Magic Sets and (most) mass produced rider back bikes have a more noticeable brief but should pass right by a layman still.


Thank you. Since I lack a delicate sense of touch and ,based on my activities, am unlikely to develop one; I'll refrain from buying very fine tapered decks in the future. If you could recommend a tapered deck that is a subtler than Deland's Automatic cards but more detectable than the "Very Fine" Strippers, I would appreciate it. Smile Smile
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Good thinking chuckle... It is not easy to find the right taper for your stripper decks. If you keep a stripper deck with a noticeable taper )to magicians( out of perfect square, no spectator will notice it.

Sometimes stripper decks have been made too fine in taper. even a card shark will be in trouble with a very fine tapered stripper with much wear.
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Well I just got another purchase in the post. Another ten dollars shot down the drain Mandolin backed short cards....extremely noticable as they only did one edge ...and instead of using the usual differences from card to cad in their lack of centering to hide the cut this person had decided to use all the thinner margins to cut the lenghth off. Outside of spending 40+ dollars on an Alan Sands deck (too expensive for me at this juncture) is there somewhere I can get a good quality gaffed corner short deck for single deck card control (similar to a tapered deck technique)

Another problem is the folks I do magic for are a very observant bunch and now that ive seen the mandolin back in person unless I precisely ride that cutting edge between handling too fast for that it becomes noticeable I'm trying to hide something or too slow which gives them too great a glimpse at both different back design and botched cut job I'm basically done for.
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2019, countrymaven wrote:
Good thinking chuckle... It is not easy to find the right taper for your stripper decks. If you keep a stripper deck with a noticeable taper )to magicians( out of perfect square, no spectator will notice it.

Sometimes stripper decks have been made too fine in taper. even a card shark will be in trouble with a very fine tapered stripper with much wear.


Thank you Kindly.
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I understand your pain. Here: buy this: Fiskars 5388 6" Photo Bypass Trimmer under 10 bucks at walmart. trim the cards the right way. make one pERMANENT FOR THE STRIPPER deck you want. Trim the corners by hand. or at amazon-ly stupid at 17 plus bucks.

I made my own mene tekel. it rocks. will use the other one for strippers. forget about 100 dollar stripper jigs from the Irish dudes.

with understanding and really trying to help you, God bless you
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
UPDATE: Very Fine Stripper(VFS) Deck

I replaced one of the cards in The VFS with one from a matching unmodified deck. So now I've got a good locator card deck imperceptible to observant spectators. I still need a practice getting the cuts dead on but otherwise it's quite good, and I can use the regular deck to straighten out the strippers by checking in what direction the regular cards strip away from cards in the VFS.
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2019, countrymaven wrote:
I understand your pain. Here: buy this: Fiskars 5388 6" Photo Bypass Trimmer under 10 bucks at walmart. trim the cards the right way. make one pERMANENT FOR THE STRIPPER deck you want. Trim the corners by hand. or at amazon-ly stupid at 17 plus bucks.

I made my own mene tekel. it rocks. will use the other one for strippers. forget about 100 dollar stripper jigs from the Irish dudes.

with understanding and really trying to help you, God bless you


Thank you, I will look into this option...how long (how many decks)did it take you to get perfectly matching tapered cards this way? The only reason I'd be tempted to get a stripper Jig is for reliably repeatable performance. I'm not terrifically good at making things by hand to machine quality standards. I do appreciate your desire to help and the information you are supplying.
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I made some samples then tested them.
Look at this: http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/
scroll down until you see the link to the free card trimmer.
I am very thankful for his help. I would only add that I do not trust neo mags to stay in place while trimming a full deck. I get the exact cut I want and bolt a guide onto the trimmer. Because bolts or screws often move slightly I would glue the jig on first, then bolt it on. I plan to use one trimmer exclusively for strippers. I have one for short cards.
I was blown away at the good feeling of using a deck you made. To answer your question, if you bolt a guide on, it should make all the cards the same taper or length, etc. You will probably have to trim the corners.
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
The link is FREE plans, not the trimmer sorry I missed that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Ebay Ripoff? "Very Fine Stripper deck" (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL