The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Entertaining or amusing magic biographies recomendations? (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Greg Kiefer
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Greg Kiefer
A couple of magic biographies I’ve enjoyed are Harry Loyrayne’s Before I Forget and Arthur Brandon’s Milo & Roger: A Magical Life. Does anyone have a favorite magic biography recommendation?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I enjoyed Jim Steinmeyer's Thurston bio and his Chung Ling Soo bio. There was a nice memoir also written by one of Dante's assistants. The name escapes me at the moment, but it was a fun backstage look at a touring life. Whenever this topic is mentioned, the Bamberg autobiography invariably is named as well.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I’ve read several biographies, all were rather boring (Fay, Hurst, Golden, Mr Electric, Levante, Angel…). The only which captured my interest was the Robert Houdin one, in French, Comment on devient sorcier. It shaped the way I’m studying, practicing and performing magic.
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
A few biographies that are a fun read are:

Wise Guy by Harry Anderson - Not only a biography but also includes many of the effects he developed. The biography portion is interesting.

The Odds Against Me by John Scarne - This is a true biography but it often reads more like an action novel. It's amazing the experiences Scarne had. You can find used copies for a reasonable price on Amazon

Tabman Magic by Tabby Crabb - Another person with a lot of amazing experiences and writes about them very openly and honestly. This is also available on Amazon and I'm not sure if it's still available anywhere else.

Carney, Pitchman, Indian Chief by Carl Herron (Brother Shadow) - Another interesting and fun read. Unfortunately, it looks like this is a difficult one to find and all I found were a couple of opportunists asking extortionist prices. It's worth keeping an eye out for though.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I can recommend The Secret Life of Houdini by Kalush and Sloman.

Barry
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
There's also Spellbound: The Wonder-filled Life of Doug Henning.

Note that there is a difference between biography and autobiography, the latter being a biography written by the subject themselves.
kamlet
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of kamlet
Some of my favorites: (in no particular order)

Pleasant Nightmares - Dr. Neff and his Madhouse of Mystery by William V. Rauscher

We Remember Dante by Joel Ray - while not so much a biography - the stories told by those that knew Dante really paint a picture....

Beating a Dead Horse: The Life and Times of Jay Marshall

Don't Fool Yourself: The Magical Life of Dell O'Dell - by Michael Claxton

Mike
miltos
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of miltos
Robert Houdin Biography.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
I LIE FOR MONEY - candid outrageous stories from a magician's misadventures - about Steve Spill from the Magicopolis show in Santa Monica - available hardcover, kindle, audibles, etc - here's the amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/Lie-Money-Outrage......32204924
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I'll second that. Hilarious and informative.
Greg Kiefer
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Greg Kiefer
Hello all! Many thanks to you all for the above recommendations. I guess I better get cracking with the many biographies and autobiographies book recommendations. I tend to enjoy the stories from the early 1900’s. Such as Al Baker tome that came out several years ago (the title escapes me). I missed an opportunity to meet Tabby Crabb. At one time he lived not too far from me. I believe he passed away several years ago in South Georgia. He was very active in the workshop forum on this site.
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
710 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Hiding the elephant by Steinmeyer! excellent history book , but also pure joy!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
You might enjoy my book, Stories of a Street Performer:

https://www.amazon.com/Stories-Street-Pe......37981339
senno52
View Profile
Regular user
new york
161 Posts

Profile of senno52
The Coney Island Fakir: The Magical Life of Al Flosso
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Magic for Magicians by Nightingale the Mystifier. Wonderful book by a world-trotting magician who quit vaudeville in 1915 to become an electrical engineer for Westinghouse, and eventually the creator of garden lighting. He designed the lights for Brookledge-Thayer's home and shop in Los Angeles.

MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2019, noble1 wrote:
I LIE FOR MONEY - candid outrageous stories from a magician's misadventures - about Steve Spill from the Magicopolis show in Santa Monica - available hardcover, kindle, audibles, etc - here's the amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/Lie-Money-Outrage......32204924

The Audible version of this is special because Spill reads it himself.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Two favorites of mine are:
Dante: The Devil Himself and Blackstone: A Magician’s Life.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Paul Daniels and the Story of Magic by John Fisher.
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
I Lie for Money by Steve Spill
JoeLyons
View Profile
New user
Although I've lurked here for years, i only have
24 Posts

Profile of JoeLyons
Milo & Roger is a great read.

Illusion Show by David Bamberg is also one of the best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Entertaining or amusing magic biographies recomendations? (16 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL