The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What are people recommending these days as the best videos for beginners getting into card magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1478 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
I have a number of videos myself, and am writing an article about this topic. I'm curious to hear what people are recommending nowadays as their top choices for a complete beginner getting into card magic?

So if someone is a newbie who wants to learn some basic fundamentals/sleights plus some tricks, what video/DVD would you recommend they purchase?
Image

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Michael Ammar’s Easy to Master Card Miracles works for me.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
317 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
I would recommend, in this order:

1) Gerry Griffin's Complete Card Magic DVD set.
2) Prof. Roberto Giobbi's DVD set based on Card College Volumes 1 and 2.
3) The Royal Road to Card Magic DVDs by R. Paul Wilson.

Just for perspective, I started with the Royal Road, book and DVD, and later Card College books and DVDs. I obtained Gerry's DVDs somewhere along the line, but clearly it was not close to being my first exposure to card magic since I did not learn about them until later. My ranking and comments are based on the fact that the OP's topic seemed limited to the DVDs and/or videos that a newbie would likely encounter.

I think that Gerry's low-key teaching method combined with the scope of material covered would be the best DVD set for a COMPLETE beginner to get involved in card magic. Gerry's DVDs are often criticized for its less-than-sparkling presentation. However, as a somewhat advanced newbie myself I think that his clarity and pacing is very beneficial to the uninitiated. One will not become a skilled performer after Gerry's teaching in this set, but to the COMPLETE newbie I would expect getting the mechanics down ASAP is the priority, and this is reasonably possible with Gerry's DVDs.

Prof. Giobbi's DVDs are widely acclaimed and deservedly so. They are excellent, however, for the COMPLETE beginner I find that the Professor (1) speaks much too quickly, and (2) spends too much time on how to present/perform the trick. I know this is heretical and I'm gonna get some gas for this. However, as valuable as that information will eventually be to the budding artist, I believe as in my case, that I would have much preferred more methodical discussions on the mechanics of a given sleight. In other words, as a newbie I would have forfeited the professional input for more deliberate mechanical instructions. Chronologically, I viewed the Card College DVDs after my Royal Road exposure, therefore these issues had less impact on me than I would expect they would on the totally uninitiated newbie.

Wilson's DVD set was the first I viewed and it is excellent. However it is closely tied to the book, and therefore, similarly limited in scope. That said, what Wilson teaches is taught very well.
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Ted
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1478 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Are any of the videos by Ellusionist worth recommending here?
Image

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
317 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Crash Course I was good for beginners in that Brad's approach is relaxed and the subject matter is within a newbie's reach. But if I recall accurately, the scope of material presented was quite narrow. I did not pursue additional Ellusionist material.
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Ted
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1478 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
I've seen Crash Course in Sleight of Hand Card Tricks and thought it was quite suitable as well, although its scope is somewhat limited.

How about How To Do Miracle Card Tricks, which seems to cover more content and sleights?
Image

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
317 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2019, EndersGame wrote:
I've seen Crash Course in Sleight of Hand Card Tricks and thought it was quite suitable as well, although its scope is somewhat limited.

How about How To Do Miracle Card Tricks, which seems to cover more content and sleights?



Sorry, but I never viewed it.

P.S. I think that Ammar's ETMCM DVDs are great...but not for the completely uninitiated or complete beginner. For example, I recently tried to recreate Ammar's version of the Cannibal Cards routine from ETMCM DVD #1 and found I had to first research a source that better explained one of the key moves that originated in a trick called Apex Aces. Also, I think the effects there do not highlight or emphasize basic, foundation-building card handling. As a result it is likely to slow a beginner's further progress by merely teaching excellent but conceptually unrelated effects. Kind of like learning to cook a single gourmet entree without knowing the basics of cooking "science."
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Ted
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8428 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
My "Best Ever" 4-vol. DVD set. Too advanced for a beginner?
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1478 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2019, Harry Lorayne wrote:
My "Best Ever" 4-vol. DVD set. Too advanced for a beginner?

It's a fantastic resource, but probably one step above what I'm looking for here.
Image

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1691 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2019, EndersGame wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2019, Harry Lorayne wrote:
My "Best Ever" 4-vol. DVD set. Too advanced for a beginner?

It's a fantastic resource, but probably one step above what I'm looking for here.


I don't know. If it is a complete beginner who is above the age of 11-12, I think Harry's "Best Ever" set would be a gold mine that would be appropriate. If for a young child, perhaps it might be too advanced. It is a gold mine.

All the best,

David
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
317 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
I'm surprised that there has not been any comments regarding Oz Pearlman's Born to Perform. It has an excellent reputation, although it is but a single DVD and not a complete set.
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Ted
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8428 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Why in the world would I/should I have the feeling that TeddyBoy doesn't have/doesn't know/isn't in any way familiar with, etc., my 4-volume "best Ever" DVD set. Yet he's spouting out all this advice! Hmmm. Hope I'm wrong.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
317 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Harry, I have your Best Ever series- and it is a terrific and valuable resource. However,the OP is talking about fresh, and, you should pardon the expression, virginal beginners and I believe your series is just a bit above that. Your teaching of each effect is great. But for someone who may not yet know how to, or be comfortable with, shuffling a deck the material goes by too quickly - you move at a quick pace (no criticism or disrespect intended). More specifically for example, in teaching Halo Aces (which I think is great) you make reference to a "kick-cut." If I came across this and it was my first time approaching card magic I would have immediately been lost.

Now, I acknowledge that I am not the brightest bulb in the chandelier of life but I would say I'm about average. As a (self-confessed) newbie, I feel well-served having learned the elementary basics of card handling right out of the blocks. By the way, if the OP had NOT been asking about DVDs, but instead wanted suggestions of books, The Magic Book would be right in there. In addition to your DVDs and The Magic Book, I have in my library Close-Up Card Magic, Card Magic of Ken Krenzel, Vol. 2 of your Classic Collection and And Finally. I'm a fan Harry, sorry to have ruffled your feathers.
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Ted
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8428 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Gotcha - no problem; I understand.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2456 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2019, EndersGame wrote:
How about How To Do Miracle Card Tricks, which seems to cover more content and sleights?


I am, obviously, biased here but I think How To Do Miracle Card Tricks is a great beginner's resource. Covers a variety of foundation sleights, a couple routines, even a couple flourishes. I think it give an excellent foundation from which to move to other videos (or books, as I tend to suggest).
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
magicianbrady
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of magicianbrady
Oz Pearlman Born to Perform is still the best Smile
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8428 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
When you say "best" the assumption is - should be - that YOU'VE SEEN 'EM ALL. Right?
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1478 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:

I am, obviously, biased here but I think How To Do Miracle Card Tricks is a great beginner's resource. Covers a variety of foundation sleights, a couple routines, even a couple flourishes. I think it give an excellent foundation from which to move to other videos (or books, as I tend to suggest).


The reason for your bias isn't obvious to me, Chris - can you explain?
Image

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2456 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I work for Ellusionist.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1478 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2019, TeddyBoy wrote:
I would recommend:

2) Prof. Roberto Giobbi's DVD set based on Card College Volumes 1 and 2.

I just want to highlight this recommendation, which would be one of my top choices too, and is often overlooked.

This video course has almost 8 hours of instruction, and was originally a set of 4 DVDs, but you can now get it as a digital download from Giobbi's website. Individual lessons cost €4.95 each, or you can get all 23 lessons as a package for €49.95 here. The first lesson can be downloaded for free here.

More thoughts in this thread: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......c=680858

Image
Image

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What are people recommending these days as the best videos for beginners getting into card magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL