The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Insurance for close up Magicians 100% necessary? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MichaelsMiracles
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of MichaelsMiracles
Hey guys, I have read several posts on discussion around this. I have seen some options for getting insurance as well. My question is, how many of you actually have insurance as a table side close up performer doing restaurants, private parties, corporate gigs, etc? I've been doing this around 10 years and I am starting to work with a DJ and he is recommending I get insurance but it sounds like its around $300 per year which I don't want to really do if it isn't necessary. Thoughts?
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1975 Posts

Profile of puggo
It may not be a legal requirement, but even as a part timer in the UK (e.g. perhaps not as litigious as the USA?), I've always had it (via Equity). Some venues/agencies ask for your public liability.
Charlie
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2850 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I have insurance through Performers of the U.S.,Specialty Insurance Agency.The insurance runs $268 per year. I've never had to use it but you never know. People can sue you for anything these days.
Small price to pay for peace of mind. I'm in 4 restaurants so I wtite the check. Also some venues require it. I ran into that at a wedding reception. I had to show insurance documentation.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
If you ever get sued and don't have it, you'll find out what a bargain Liability Insurance is. And, as other posters have mentioned, occasionally, proof of insurance is a compulsory requirement in order to perform.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19757 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you work with balloons then insurance would not be something I'd leave out.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
956 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
If you’re doing more corporate work, you’ll find it’s a requirement. Better to have it on hand than to get it at the last minute. The amount you mentioned is not out of line.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3090 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I got my insurance through Specialty Insurance

I found them quite affordable. Could others post links to their insurance and comment on them?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2227 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
If I were strictly a close up performer I would seriously consider saving $300 per year and not getting insurance (just my humble opinion). Having said that, I agree that Performers of the U.S.,Specialty Insurance Agency is a very good company to deal with. I've had insurance with them for 20 years. They even cover my rabbit and dove!

I would love to hear about any mishaps from this line of work (table hopping and party strolling). The only thing I can think of is a damaged ring that has been borrowed. Flash paper would not be covered.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19757 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Keith's point of corporate work is dead on. No doubt this is the corporate culture and 2hile it may never be used and seem silly to us, it matters to those who hire.

Also the cooking hazard of latex balloons is high on the list. If one does then at all insurance is just smart.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2227 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Keith's point of corporate work is dead on. No doubt this is the corporate culture and 2hile it may never be used and seem silly to us, it matters to those who hire.

The amount of red tape some corporations have is ridiculous. But I agree, if you want to work with them you have to play their game.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
126 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Our Society has become much more Litigious in the last number of years. Having insurance is important, and should protect you. Being insured also shows vendors you are serious about your responsibility as a performer for hire. I also use Specialty Insurance Company and also took out additional coverage on my equipment/props, as a busker my bag is often out in the open and at risk for theft, and in restaurants etc. my bag is in the coat room unattended and can easily grow feet....Just my opinion. I wouldn't perform without it.
Bruce
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of drmagico
I bought insurance last year. It is worth it. Just did a show for a major hotel. They specifically asked for it so I was glad I had it or I would not have been able to do the show.
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
578 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
I recommend it. Marks you as a professional.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3361 Posts

Profile of Julie
"You don't need insurance until you do...and then it's too late."

Julie
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1068 Posts

Profile of imgic
Are there other options besides Speciality Insurance? Can’t you get via SAM or IBM?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2316 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I use Specialty as well. I believe SAM or IBM (or both) use them for the insurance you can get through membership? I could be wrong there.

A few thoughts -

As Julie said, you don't need insurance. Until you do. And then you're SOL.

From my personal experience, having insurance does put you into a different 'class' of performer. Both my wife and I have secured gigs with the line, "And we're fully insured for all our performances." When you have insurance and the competition doesn't, it automatically makes you seem more professional without having to say it out loud.

I originally got insurance because a gig required it. I found the peace of mind valuable, so I maintain it. It's a fairly small amount, totally worth it in my mind.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19757 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't know if I believe it makes you look professional. If I was hiring a performer him having insurance would not make me think he is right. I mean it is two entirely different things. If you are being hired as a performer BECAUSE you have insurance I'd actually see that as something odd to look into.

As a performer you should be hired for THAT.

In no way am I saying don't have insurance. I think it makes sense and in many situations it is required. I just don't think you look more professional or whatever. It is two different matters.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2316 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Generally I'd agree with you, but this is a particular instance where the people doing the booking often don't know the industry at all.

We've got a couple/few event planning companies in the area that handle pretty much all the big events. We've also got a group that handles all the city-specific events. Then there's people who are, for example, hiring entertainment for the office's Christmas party.

The first two know what they're doing and they want anyone they hire to be able to provide proof of insurance because that's how it works.

The office Christmas party planner, though, usually doesn't really know anything about booking entertainment. On top of that, in my area there's very little in the way of entertainment that isn't musicians.

Most of the non-music entertainment is just kids trying to make a buck. We don't even really have buskers.

So part of having insurance is telling the normal folks that we're not just vagabonds, we're actually a real business - but it's also something that many others don't do in this area. So when Mrs. Sally Office Party Planner is looking at the two groups who offer circus performances, for example, the one with insurance seems more professional and is a better hire - because Mrs. Sally genuinely doesn't know how to judge the quality of what's being offered otherwise.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19757 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well a circus show without insurance is a huge problem and not even what the OP is asking.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2316 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
The same has applied to sideshow, and with magic and mentalism. I've never tried to do a straight hypnosis show in my area, but I suspect that, given what I know about the region, being fully insured would provide leverage against established prejudices.

All I am saying is that in some markets, being the one who has insurance when the competition doesn't can easily be the reason one gets a gig over the others. Particularly if the people who are booking you don't really know the industry and are essentially making it up as they go.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Insurance for close up Magicians 100% necessary? (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL