The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dusheck Toss (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Signet
I have been trying to learn this move from the book,"Dusheck's Coin Magic.". I was hoping someone on here who does this move would give me some pointers via pm. It seems like a great move, if I could just get the hang of it. This book is chock full f good ideas.
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
440 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
Hello Signet ,

Interesting hearing someone mention the Dusheck Toss !!! This is an absolutely fantastic move that I have used for years after going over & over it with Steve Dusheck himself several years back.

Its imparative you understand exactly how Dusheck describes this move in his book. He explains it in perfect detail.

Signet:), here are the Biggest tips of all from me on the Dusheck Toss >>

1.) >>“ DO NOT LOOK “ at your hands after the two coins are tossed into your left hand, Remember, the copper coin “ CAN NOT” be seen by the audience and you know its there, so you have absolutely no reason to look at it. ( the smallest gesture of your eyes or head turning will give this away and destroy the move “ TRUST ME I KNOW” Smile .. Seriously don’t even look at the coin to make sure it’s the Copper coin and not the Silver coin because you should know the very coin you worked up and out to the top of your fist.

>> Remember , and NOTE: the hands are not side by side 8 inches apart !! INSTEAD , the right hand is eight inches in front of the left hand

>> The toss it done when both hands turn at the same exact time ( But REMEMBER , you are looking at the spectators during this and not the hands:) )

>> Also, during the Toss >> DO NOT CATCH IT IN YOUR RIGHT HAND BY MAKING A FIST ......Instead , just use your 2nd , 3rd and 4th fingers to catch it ...your index finger is always straight and always ready to point at the left hand

YOU WILL GET IT DOWN SIGNET !! ITS AN AMAZING MAGICAL MOVE

MICKEY SILVER
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8265 Posts

Profile of funsway
I might add (with no direct knowledge of his explanation) that all "toss" moves can be enhanced by a body swing.
The object to be secretly transferred to he other hand is left hanging in the air to be caught by the other hand as the body rotates.

I have many "toss" moves developed back in the 80's and used thousands of times. (not just with coins)

Even though you are relying on "Inattention of Vision" and other psychological ploys. the advice "looking at the spectator"
means "execute the toss WHEN you have eye contact." It is also best if the hand positions are used in other effect as "natural" moves.

Also, do not rely on a video replay/practice as a measure of what a live spectator will perceive/remember. Perception is different from seeing.

Write me ken@eversway.com if you wish info on other Toss Move: Cross, Frontal, Swing, Deep Drop, SwayOn, etc.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Signet
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I have to say Mr Silver, it's an honour to talk to you. The way you handle coins is like something not of this world. I'm practicing in the mirror and I keep seeing the coin. Now I see it depends on the misdirection. I will practice until I get it.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1878 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I don't think swinging would work well with this move as the hands are one in front of the other not side by side - the receiving hand won't swing into the position where the coin was left "hanging".
It's a forward toss.

Quote:
On Apr 30, 2019, funsway wrote:
I might add (with no direct knowledge of his explanation) that all "toss" moves can be enhanced by a body swing.
The object to be secretly transferred to he other hand is left hanging in the air to be caught by the other hand as the body rotates.

I have many "toss" moves developed back in the 80's and used thousands of times. (not just with coins)

Even though you are relying on "Inattention of Vision" and other psychological ploys. the advice "looking at the spectator"
means "execute the toss WHEN you have eye contact." It is also best if the hand positions are used in other effect as "natural" moves.

Also, do not rely on a video replay/practice as a measure of what a live spectator will perceive/remember. Perception is different from seeing.

Write me ken@eversway.com if you wish info on other Toss Move: Cross, Frontal, Swing, Deep Drop, SwayOn, etc.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8265 Posts

Profile of funsway
Good point, inigmntoya - I should clarify.

by 'swing' I mean any whole body movement to assist that of the hands - the point being that the coin never need be thrown.
The receiving hand moves to where the coin was left in the air, be it a step forward, leaning beck or a combination of natural front/side movements,

I have not seen this video and am not suggesting that anyone using it should change the method -
only that the concept of "toss" rather than place or take is worth exploring.

I do a FrontalToss that may or may not look like this Dushek Toss. Neither should be seen at all, so "look like" may be the wrong phrase.
The coin does not move at all as the hand positions change front and back location.

In a DropToss one hand is in front of the other and passes beneath the holding hand - the coin falling and masked in part,
by the holding hand moving way on some pseudo placement as the receiving hand is motionless. (three different psychological ploys in action)
I normally use this as part of a false count, thought, where a coin is secretly transferred as the hand moves to pick up another coin from the table.

The natural movement of hands, arms and body should both mask and facilitate the secret transfer in an asynchronous manner relative to any known location of the coin.
Since one hand usually moves away to some other posture or action, the rotation of the body and eye contact will enhance the notion of there the coin is supposed to be rather than now is.
A foot point before the action can also help. Identical movements should be used at other times when no sleight is occurring.

I only comment so that readers might be encouraged to explore the exciting possibilities of "false transfers" over "fake transfers."
The real advantage being the acquitment of showing the palming hand to be empty - because it is.
No Persistence of Vision required because the coin is actually placed in the receiving hand.
No complicated finger positions to allow a glimpse of palm in a pretend show of empty.

I am hoping to learn more of the Dusheck method so that my descriptions of sleights can be accurate in comparison.

The ideal practice, and eventual choice of best "toss move" for any effect, is to carry a coin in hand for hours while performing normal daily activities.
The coin is shifted from hand to hand as necessary, with no one ever knowing of its existence.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8322 Posts

Profile of Mb217
“...The coin is shifted from hand to hand as necessary, with no one ever knowing of its existence.”

I tell’ya, I do this all the time using the “Quick Pitch.” 😉
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dusheck Toss (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL