The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » JoAnne won't eat properly. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christo
View Profile
Loyal user
Cyprus
213 Posts

Profile of Christo
My Card Duck has (very recently) changed her eating habits. The beak now opens and closes as soon as the head starts to move forward rather than as it used to when it was close to the card container. Consequently when the beak reaches the card container (houlet?) she has no way of collecting a card as the beak is tight shut by this time.

The mechanism seems to be a cam located in the head. I really don't want to destroy the finish/head to find out how she works and possibly alter/adjust the cam. Does anyone have 'inside knowledge' on this. Is there a diagram of the mechanism published anywhere. When they're manufactured surely some adjustment is necessary to fine tune the timing. How is that done. Or should I simply be a callous pet owner and discard her for something new.

C Smile
"Humpty was pushed!!"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22038 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What happens when you pull the loop, and the head moves a quarter or half way, then release, and pull again all the way forward? does he mouth open on the second pull from half way?

What happens after the duck picks up the card above the houlette, then you pull on the loop, does the head go over the houlette, as if the duck is showing the card to the audience.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3084 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Assuming you have a genuine Jo-Anne and not an Indian-made rip-off, the mouth opening is determined by a separate piece of metal in the lower beak. Yours may have gotten bent out of shape, in which case you just have to bend it back into shape again (it should be flat and not bent at all). If you can't figure it out, take a bunch of photos showing the head and inside the neck and PM them so we can 1.) make sure you are talking about Jo-Anne and not some cousin, and 2.) what can be done to fix the mouth bar back the way it was.

I'll keep my card duck next to the computer for a day or two in case I need to consult with her about your problem.
Christo
View Profile
Loyal user
Cyprus
213 Posts

Profile of Christo
Hi Bill and Jim,

First off thanks so much for your replies. I'm sorry for the slow reply but I'd taken her to a vet and had to retrieve her. Also there's timezone change in play here as well.

I believe my duck is possibly Italian. The instructions are in English and Italian, comes in a red box and is available from Penguin amongst others; Vicenzo di Fatta. Very high gloss (thick) paint with an excellent finish. I'll try to post some pics but that level of tech is currently above my paygrade.

To answer Bill: The mouth opens immediately on first or second pull, and even a third pull. It's open wide by about 1/4 to 1/3rd of the pull. Beak then rapidly closes as the head goes further forward and goes above the houlette as if to display the chosen card.

Jim: I have a couple of other ducks - an old one (70's in good condition) from Tannen's and the mini duck from Collector's Workshop. Both of these seem to have the same mechanism as the sick one although it's difficult to see into the slot of the head. You're correct that there's a circular piece of metal with cutouts - held vertically by a spring - under/behind the lower beak, which seems to be in good order but I suspect may be/is misaligned or misplaced and perhaps the wrong side of a pivot - or something.

I'm more and more thinking that pics are the only way we're going to solve this. Whilst I try to organise this please feel free to brainstorm - we may get somewhere with a breathrough.

Best,
C Smile
"Humpty was pushed!!"
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3084 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
A good X-Ray would reveal what's wrong, and wouldn't harm the duck, but would cost more than the duck is worth to take one photo. If she is Italian, then her name should be Juliana. Needlenose pliers will be needed to pull and yank on the various connections I think.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
512 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
Hello.... Can I assume you are operating this duck with the deck in the holder? What you describe as the action is what should be happening and when the beak opens as it is moving forward the lower beak encounters the deck and then it pulls it out as the upper beak is in front of the deck. One common problem with the ducks is that the lower beak is slick and will not extract the card. A small rubber pad, a spot of cleat silicone sealer or a piece of fine sandpaper on the lower tip of the beak can do the trick.

Without seeing the picture I agree with you that it is an Italian duck. It is likely not worth paying for repair if it completely fails to operate. I do know one of the country’s premiere restorers of magic props and IF you do want to go the repair route I can get you in touch with him. (He has the original Hamilton parts prototypes, patterns and Hamilton’s tool kit!)

My advice would be to junk a non working Italian duck and look for an authentic Hamilton on eBay or Magic Café or Surplus Magic Exchange. They are the best made available (although Viking and Owens Magic Supreme made superb ducks as well.)

I collect card ducks (and have almost 60 of the ducks and similarly operating variations in my collection)

Good luck with your duck issues

Rhett.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22038 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Christo, the duck by Vicenzo di Fatta is made in India. The company has quality control over what is made for them, and thus, their products are very good.

I don't think you read my question correctly for the operation of the pull loop. Pull the loop, and let the duck take the card, and stop just above the deck and holder. Now pull the loop again without letting the duck head return to the start position. When the loop is pulled again, the duck should move the card over the basket toward the audience.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » JoAnne won't eat properly. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL