The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Fernando Figueras - At The Table Lecture (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Right, I don't post reviews on here, unless they are terrible or I want to make a point Smile

The point I want to make with this one is; Watch this!

So you get just over 3 hours of viewing, some tricks, which to me, were irrelevant, that's not to say that they were bad in the slightest. But what you are paying for is the level of insight and thinking behind them, which is easily applicable to anything that you do. This is something I feel is lacking in so much material which is being put out there. This is true to the spanish school of thinking when it comes to card magic, but applied to mentalism. He's spanish, what can you expect?!

I know for some, it will be a bit "wordy", but if you're disregarding it because of that, and just looking for tricks, you are very much missing out.

This has made me rethink a lot of material that I do already, and this is just on the first viewing.

And the tricks you get are great for any close up entertainer out there and these tricks, and much of his thinking, can be made to play bigger and apply to stage pieces that you do.

If you don't like thinking, don't get this... if you do... well, then just get this!

All the best,
Daniel
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of dyoung
And whilst getting in the mood... check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQsjAbZDx-4

It will set the mood Smile

//Dan
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
The Pedro bit was superb...

I did have to watch it in 60 minute segments though...
I've asked to be banned
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3499 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I loved this Penguin lecture, absolute no brainer. I'll be watching this later.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Fernando_Figueras
View Profile
New user
Madrid
12 Posts

Profile of Fernando_Figueras
Well, thank you Daniel for your review.

I wanted to create a thread to discuss some of the topics with anyone who is interested.
As you have already done it let's use this post to talk about it!

Talking about the concepts explained (here or in any other lecture) is important to create real feedback so the information doesn't just go from me to you and dies there.
By asking or commenting you will have to process what you heard and then it is when it will start to become yours.

Quote:
On May 8, 2019, IAIN wrote:
The Pedro bit was superb...

I did have to watch it in 60 minute segments though...

Well done. It is not supposed to be swallowed in just one go!
Reflection breaks, coffee and toilet breaks are vitally important! Smile
The most intense and underground gathering for English speaking magicians in Madrid, Spain:
www.campusmagico.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I sometimes get coffee breaks and toilet breaks mixed up...
I've asked to be banned
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On May 9, 2019, IAIN wrote:

I’ll bet your coffee tastes like sh*t.
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
634 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
This is one of the most enjoyable lectures I’ve watched in a long time. Brilliant.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On May 9, 2019, Larry Davidson wrote:
Quote:
On May 9, 2019, IAIN wrote:

I’ll bet your coffee tastes like sh*t.

Then that means...
I've asked to be banned
Fernando_Figueras
View Profile
New user
Madrid
12 Posts

Quote:
On May 9, 2019, TheGingerWizard wrote:
This is one of the most enjoyable lectures I’ve watched in a long time. Brilliant.

Thank you for the comment.
What moments/topics did you enjoy the most?
(I'm still trying to figure out what is more appealing or alien for magicians out of the things I talk about)
The most intense and underground gathering for English speaking magicians in Madrid, Spain:
www.campusmagico.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
It's good just to hear someone who has thought so much about what they do... Its the philosophy... When people do this, it's great if we can disagree on some point because if you choose to be fair about what is being said, then you have to really think about what is going on and to challenge yourself and the things you take for granted...
I've asked to be banned
Fernando_Figueras
View Profile
New user
Madrid
12 Posts

Quote:
On May 10, 2019, IAIN wrote:
It's good just to hear someone who has thought so much about what they do... Its the philosophy... When people do this, it's great if we can disagree on some point because if you choose to be fair about what is being said, then you have to really think about what is going on and to challenge yourself and the things you take for granted...

What you said is so true!
That's the way you learn, right?
You take something new, you put it together with the things you already know and let them interact.

For example did you know about the wheel of emotions? Did you get my points about it? Have you been using something similar to understand the flow of emotions with the things you already perform?
www.campusmagico.com
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
634 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
Quote:
On May 10, 2019, Fernando_Figueras wrote:
Quote:
On May 9, 2019, TheGingerWizard wrote:

Thank you for the comment.
What moments/topics did you enjoy the most?
(I'm still trying to figure out what is more appealing or alien for magicians out of the things I talk about)

I don't intend this answer to be flippant or glib but .......... all of it. Like Iain I also thought the 'Pedro' routine was excellent and I've taken a few ideas from this and the following routine.

Regarding the theory, some concepts I was already familiar with, others things were new to me with but it's refreshing to hear from someone who has spent a lot of time exploring the practical applications of what we call 'theory', after all, that's the point right? I've seen a lot of theory for theory's sake but after watching your lecture there were several things I could immediately take away, and with some thought integrate within my own work, and I know I'll pick up more from another viewing. I can understand how some people might see it as overthinking but for me even the smallest details can make the biggest difference. A music teacher once told me the best way to learn how to improvise is to learn all the scales inside out, forwards, backwards until you can do them in your sleep.........then forget them, because scales aren't music. I view magic theory the same way, by taking the time to carefully consider all of these concepts and ideas and picking the things that resonate with you, in time you will find yourself unconsciously making better decisions more often.

I haven't seen your penguin lecture yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to checking it out!
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2191 Posts

Profile of dmoses
First Fernando, thank you very much for the lecture I enjoyed it a lot. Though I wished there was somebody present that would have challenged you and asked more questions about what you were saying. The wheel of emotions discussion is a great example of where I wished there was somebody to question you more and maybe challenge your assertions a bit more as well. I didn’t see you making use of them in your “pieces” and the illustrations (through the “reveals” ) didn’t help. In fact, your example for what NOT to do was a terrific example by Tamariz of something that works great!

I agree that there is a whole range of emotions that can be explored through our art. I could see where a mentalist might use shame, joy, disgust or fear in a presentation as opposed to merely surprise or astonishment but I noticed that you didn’t use these emotions in your routines and I think there would have to be a lot of theatrical work needed to be incorporated into a mentalist show.

But I think that’s the point— I see effusive praise for lectures without any shred of personality or originality and dismissal of performances by strong personalities as “nothing there for me.”

I have no doubt that some of the trouble I had was based on misunderstandings of subtlety of language— however sometimes there was no mistaking your meaning— like your opinion of revealing things on paper— where I was yelling at the screen.

All this to say however— I loved the lecture and “the effects” Smile and I look forward to having a face-to-face conversation with you one day.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3499 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I really enjoyed this, just as I enjoyed his Penguin lecture.

Often with lectures, I'll watch through once looking for tidbits that might inspire me or help solve a particular problem. Usually that involves a straight play through with relatively low attention to detail.

Conversely, this lecture is absolutely dense with ideas and I, like Iain, had to watch it in several sittings so I could fully digest his thinking.

I don't agree with everything, but it's great to see the depth of thinking and the goal of creating good theater rather than just fleeting amazement.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of dyoung
The wheel of emotions I thought was especially interesting, as I've been writing about a similar concept in the past. Mine had more to do with psychology and philosophy, nothing to do with magic. So it was nice to see as an actual picture, which has made me revisit some of mhy old writings. I think a lot of magicians/mentalists should explore this concept more, and feelings in general. Not saying you have to do tricks about sad things and dead people, but making the lay people feel the magic more and for them to express more emotions than just "smugness" for getting it right Smile

//Dan
Fernando_Figueras
View Profile
New user
Madrid
12 Posts

Quote:
On May 10, 2019, dmoses wrote:
First Fernando, thank you very much for the lecture I enjoyed it a lot.

Thank you very much for your words.

Quote:
Though I wished there was somebody present that would have challenged you and asked more questions about what you were saying. The wheel of emotions discussion is a great example of where I wished there was somebody to question you more and maybe challenge your assertions a bit more as well.

I have the same feeling too.
It was the idea with Javier, the host. I love to be challenged so I can fully express myself and not going into the superficial layers of my thinking.
But after the lecture he told me he was so engaged into watching it that he forgot to push me further! Haha such a nice guy.

But I fully agree with you about that.
That's why I am so assertive. Not because I think I'm right but to push the listener against their own beliefs so the can throw me back from within themselves.

Quote:
I didn’t see you making use of them in your “pieces” and the illustrations (through the “reveals” ) didn’t help. In fact, your example for what NOT to do was a terrific example by Tamariz of something that works great!

I didn't use them when performing, you are right again.
Several reasons: I was having a really tough week and for me it was hard enough to focus on talking. And also we wanted to perform the routines for real people in a pub but finally we could not manage to do it. And to me it is not honest, doesn't feel natural, to play a piece big just in front of one person that is also a magician.

I didn't really understand what you meant about the Tamariz example. Could you, please, elaborate?

Quote:
I noticed that you didn’t use these emotions in your routines and I think there would have to be a lot of theatrical work needed to be incorporated into a mentalist show.

I don't think there is anything theatrical in the way I perform -like acting- but a lot of theatrical thinking on the creation of the pieces.

And in my opinion is not about making them feel anything or show any expression of feeling but letting the feeling lead the way you perform.

Quote:
— like your opinion of revealing things on paper— where I was yelling at the screen.

What did you exactly yell at me? I could not hear you!

Quote:
All this to say however— I loved the lecture and “the effects” Smile and I look forward to having a face-to-face conversation with you one day.

Anytime! Looking forward to doing it.

And if you are interested on meeting some of us we still have a couple of available vacancies in Campus Magico 2019 http://www.campusmagico.com
www.campusmagico.com
Fernando_Figueras
View Profile
New user
Madrid
12 Posts

Quote:
On May 10, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
I really enjoyed this, just as I enjoyed his Penguin lecture.

Glad to hear that!
Two out of two! I'll try to hit it right again in my next project!

Quote:
Conversely, this lecture is absolutely dense with ideas and I, like Iain, had to watch it in several sittings so I could fully digest his thinking.

Yeah... I'm kind of dense myself.

The funny thing is many pros tell me I should be more direct and straight to the point... And there is where I can't disagree more.
I don't intend to provide a finish and polished product.
There's nothing I can do with the finished product more than use it as it was intended by someone that is not me. Like a black box.
I like discussions so the product you get at the end is different than the original one and it has bits of you inside.

I don't want to sell, I want to share and learn -and that's is for sure a commerial and financial disaster but hey!-

Quote:
I don't agree with everything, but it's great to see the depth of thinking and the goal of creating good theater rather than just fleeting amazement.

I'd love to know what bits you don't agree with!
www.campusmagico.com
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3499 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I guess it would be more accurate to say that not everything in your performing style fits in my performing style. Which is good for both of us!

For example, I think you (in a relatively subtle way) like to make your participants a little uncomfortable. I believe your desire is to challenge them and create some dramatic tension. And it works for you.

Personally, I like to lull my audiences into a comfortable space where they feel they can totally trust me and then whack them over the head with the unexpected. I think I prefer to create tension by my own process (possibility of failing, actual failing).

It's very interesting to think about though. Obviously growth comes through challenges, so there's definitely something that can come through challenging your audiences.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Psy
I just watched the first 37 min and I'm loving the content! I would love to watch Fernando performing his stage mentalism show on the new Penguin LIVE ACT format to watch him put all his theories into action in front of a live audience!

I recommend this lecture!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Fernando Figueras - At The Table Lecture (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL