The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Fernando Figueras - At The Table Lecture (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
His previous Penguin lecture is very good and you should check it out if you haven't already. While it came out before they switched to the ACT format, the performance certainly comes across as a working act and you can see him working the crowd.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of Psy
Quote:
On May 12, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
His previous Penguin lecture is very good and you should check it out if you haven't already. While it came out before they switched to the ACT format, the performance certainly comes across as a working act and you can see him working the crowd.

I just purchased it! Thanks!
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Quote:
On May 11, 2019, Fernando_Figueras wrote:
Quote:
On May 10, 2019, dmoses wrote:
First Fernando, thank you very much for the lecture I enjoyed it a lot.

Thank you very much for your words.

Quote:
Though I wished there was somebody present that would have challenged you and asked more questions about what you were saying. The wheel of emotions discussion is a great example of where I wished there was somebody to question you more and maybe challenge your assertions a bit more as well.

I have the same feeling too.
It was the idea with Javier, the host. I love to be challenged so I can fully express myself and not going into the superficial layers of my thinking.
But after the lecture he told me he was so engaged into watching it that he forgot to push me further! Haha such a nice guy.

But I fully agree with you about that.
That's why I am so assertive. Not because I think I'm right but to push the listener against their own beliefs so the can throw me back from within themselves.

Quote:
I didn’t see you making use of them in your “pieces” and the illustrations (through the “reveals” ) didn’t help. In fact, your example for what NOT to do was a terrific example by Tamariz of something that works great!

I didn't use them when performing, you are right again.
Several reasons: I was having a really tough week and for me it was hard enough to focus on talking. And also we wanted to perform the routines for real people in a pub but finally we could not manage to do it. And to me it is not honest, doesn't feel natural, to play a piece big just in front of one person that is also a magician.

I didn't really understand what you meant about the Tamariz example. Could you, please, elaborate?

Quote:
I noticed that you didn’t use these emotions in your routines and I think there would have to be a lot of theatrical work needed to be incorporated into a mentalist show.

I don't think there is anything theatrical in the way I perform -like acting- but a lot of theatrical thinking on the creation of the pieces.

And in my opinion is not about making them feel anything or show any expression of feeling but letting the feeling lead the way you perform.

Quote:
— like your opinion of revealing things on paper— where I was yelling at the screen.

What did you exactly yell at me? I could not hear you!

Quote:
All this to say however— I loved the lecture and “the effects” Smile and I look forward to having a face-to-face conversation with you one day.

Anytime! Looking forward to doing it.

And if you are interested on meeting some of us we still have a couple of available vacancies in Campus Magico 2019 http://www.campusmagico.com

Thanks for your reply Fernando.

I can appreciate how an artificial situation like a lecture is hard to deliver routines in style that you might use for lay people.

My comment about “theatricality” was made in reference to making use of the “full wheel” of emotions. I think magic and mentalism is at its heart an art of astonishment and surprises— but I can see how it could be made stronger by evoking a wider range of emotions— but in order to do so I think a performer would require a more theatrical setting. No? I’m not speaking of overboard performances but more formal setting. Maybe I’m wrong— or maybe I’m misunderstanding your ideal. When you talk about magicians using a greater range of emotions i’m Imagining Eugene Burger... or Dan Sperry... and I could see a Dan Sperry-style mind reader (one that would, for example explore darker more twisted thoughts) working— but mostly onstage. I’m surprised some one hasn’t explored the theme of madness and mentalism— but again, although it might be powerful in an intimate setting I think i’d prefer it onstage.

Again, I could be totally misunderstanding the point you were trying to make
I’ll watch the lecture again to dig up the taramiz comment— but it was about reveals.

And I think what I was yelling at the screen was something like: I written predict is sometimes the BEST reveal... and then you did your (very clever) positive/negative routine and I shouted again: SEE! THAT WAS GREAT!

A friend of mine attended the campus last year and had a wonderful experience... maybe one day.

Best
Dave
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Here’s another thing I had issue with— your definition of mentalism. My feeling is that you confuse telepathy— which is a sub-set of mentalism with that form of magic which relates to all effects involving the mind including— but not limited to— telepathy, telekinesis, lightning calculation, memory skills, clairvoyance, psychometry, aura reading, time manipulation, etc. etc. which is not to say any performer should demonstrate any or all of these skills at any time— but just to establish clear definitions before a discussion. You could make an argument that Geller, Kreskin, et al are not mentalists— and they might even agree— but then what’s the point. Then nobody is a mentalist and we’ve lost a perfectly useful descriptor.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
Fila
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Fila
Hello there! Wow, awesome lecture Fernando.I have a quick question for you. In the first routine of Fernando ( the yes / no routine ). He name someone who had the same principle available on the market. I didn’t find anything. Do you have the real name or a source 👌. Thank you
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
"Decisions" by Mozique, released through Alakazam.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
He has been doing some Live chats with people recently on Instagram. They are worth tuning in for.

@campusmagico on IG

all the best,
Dan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Fernando Figueras - At The Table Lecture (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL