The Magic Cafι
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What are the best tricks in Roberto Giobbi's Card College 1 & 2? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1260 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
What are your favourite card tricks taught in Card College 1 & 2 by Roberto Giobbi?

Let's not include tricks from Giobbi's next three books, Card College 3, 4 & 5, because that covers more advanced material. Card College 1 & 2 is more suited for beginner to intermediate level, and also has a companion video course (available for digital download here and reviewed here). So for this thread let's restrict ourselves to the material from the Card College 1 & 2 books.

Which tricks do you think are best, and what ones do you perform?

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
All are great. Particularly thought stealer, seventh son of seventh son, ambitious card routine.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1260 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
In case it helps jog anyone's memory, here's a complete list of all the tricks included on the DVDs, and in the books.

CARD COLLEGE 1&2 DVDs: • Belchou Aces Revisited • Subconscious Poker • Hat Trick • The Question Is? • Think Stop • Further Than That • The Mind Mirror • Seventh Son of a Seventh Son • The Couι Test • Impossible! • A Phenomenal Memory • Rise & Swap • Vanished Without a Trace • Dave’s Delight • Transpo Excelsior • The Magus Card • Voilΰ, Four Aces! • Aces off the Cuff • X Marks the Spot • Homing Card Plus • The Magic Phone Number • The Time Machine • Twisting the Aces • The Lucky Coin • Psychic Stop • The Whistle

CARD COLLEGE 1 BOOK: Thought Stealer • The Spectator Cuts to the Aces • Hat Trick • Court Card Conclave • The Shamus Card • The Question Is... • The Lie Detector • Triple Coincidence • Seventh Son of a Seventh Son • The Red-black Location • Royal Flush Finale • The Acrobat Family • The Coue Test • Rise and Swap • A Card In Hand • A Phenomenal Memory • Your Number Your Card • Thot Echo • The Magus Card • The Lucky Card • The Magic Phone Number • As You Like It • The Jumping Pulse • Headliner! • Metamorphosis • The Lucky Coin

CARD COLLEGE 2 BOOK: Subconscious Poker • Aces Off the Cuff • Homing Card Plus • The Cards of Capistrano • Finnegan's Rewake • Card Through Handkerchief • The Really Wild Nine-card Trick • The Royal Acrobats • Vanished Without a Trace! • The Ambitious Card • Transposition Extraordinary • Card Catcher • Impossible! • The Whistle • Reversible Mix-up

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
Pierre Cardinlemon
View Profile
New user
Budapest, Hungary, EU
39 Posts

Profile of Pierre Cardinlemon
I think every trick in these books is great. I especially like that they are described in great details, not only the mechanics, but also the patter and psychology, which is missing from several other books. This helps me a lot, since I'm an amateur with limited experience. So I think each one of them can be "the best", depending on one's preference and style.

My favorites are Thot Echo, Thought Stealer and Mind Mirror (I haven't seen the videos, but I assume this latter one is the same as in the Expert Card Technique). These require some setups, but if one can manage it, they are extremely strong.

I have problem with only one trick that doesn't work for me, the Shamus Card, but this isn't the fault of the trick, but the differences between the English and the Hungarian spelling of the cards.
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
835 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I am not trying to avoid the question. But I think you need to sort of define what type of card tricks work best for you.
For me doing mind reading type card tricks work very well for me. So I would pick those out of Card College. But I am advanced so I would rarely use one of his straight out of the book. But he is very good. Rarely do you have Giobbi recommend something that is not real world tested. Almost all of it is strong stuff in the right hands.

I think it is fair to say that certain tricks work better for different magicians. YOu have to try them and stick with the ones that you like and have the strongest impact for you.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1007 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Endersgame,

first of all I'd like to get this as a chance to thank you for your game reviews on Boardgamegeek. "Wow" is the first words that come to mind!
Once this is out of the way, I can tell you the tricks I've been constantly using form these books

vol. 1

- The Lucky Coin
- The Magus Card (it's incredible the reaction you can get from this, after all, sleightwise simple trick!)

I used to perform "A phenomenal memory", but, since I've added a memorised deck to my arsenal, I can now do much better versions. But, it is still a very good trick.

vol. 2

- Ambitious card

The routine described by Giobbi is great as it is. You cannot go wrong doing it as described here. And that's what I did for a while. Only then I changed the final two phases with differen handlings, but the foundations of mine, are still the ones in his book.

- Subconscious Poker
- Homing card Plus

are two more jewels

Mark
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6089 Posts

Profile of magicfish
The Lucky Coin is good, however, I much prefer the original. As is often the case throughout Card College, Mr. Giobbi has altered many effects originated by others. Some of his treatments are improvements, most are not.
Card College is a great set of books but I would encourage the student to seek them out after they have studied the traditional foundational texts. This way, you will learn most of the effects as they were intended and will later recognize Giobbi's and others' changes more clearly.
Card College is a great series of books, but to call them a college, of a course is misleading. You will be learning everything through one Giobbi filter. This can limit the student.
I highly recommend these excellent texts but never for a beginner.
MikeBeaudet
View Profile
Loyal user
BοΏ½cancour
210 Posts

Profile of MikeBeaudet
Quote:
On May 10, 2019, magicfish wrote:

With all my respect, I totally disagree with you. I started card magic with CC as a beginner and I learned a lot...
My humble opinion.
Do your best and forget the rest
MikeBeaudet
View Profile
Loyal user
BοΏ½cancour
210 Posts

Profile of MikeBeaudet
And now to answer the OP question;

The Lucky coin
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Thot echo
Do your best and forget the rest
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6089 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On May 10, 2019, MikeBeaudet wrote:
Quote:
On May 10, 2019, magicfish wrote:

With all my respect, I totally disagree with you. I started card magic with CC as a beginner and I learned a lot...
My humble opinion.

No doubt you would learn an enormous amount.
Great books.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6089 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Oh, and I must add I do like his presentations for his adaptations.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, NY
296 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
I also recommend the Lucky Coin. This trick helped me with the top change, something that is done in full view, which is nerve-wracking for a beginner. The misdirection is excellent.

I also liked The Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and his Ambitious Card Routine. The Cards of Capistrano and the Wild Nine-card Trick (great for learning the Hammon count) also get votes.
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Ted
Pierre Cardinlemon
View Profile
New user
Budapest, Hungary, EU
39 Posts

Quote:
On May 10, 2019, TeddyBoy wrote:
I also recommend the Lucky Coin. This trick helped me with the top change, something that is done in full view, which is nerve-wracking for a beginner. The misdirection is excellent.

I agree, it is a perfect way to practice the top change. It is also good to practice coin switches: I use a lucky poker chip, and since most of my spectators never seen a real poker chip, I let them inspect it. Later it can be switched when there is no heat on the chip anymore.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6089 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Interesting, so you have the added effect of an appearing miniature card?
Pierre Cardinlemon
View Profile
New user
Budapest, Hungary, EU
39 Posts

I don't consider it an added effect, since the appearance is also unexpected in the original description. It is an added sleight that makes me feel more secure. If the spectators are not interested in the chip, it's OK, I don't tell them to check that it's an ordinary poker chip. However, if they want to examine it and I don't allow it, I think they will immediately become suspicious and I want to avoid that.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6089 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Hi Pierre. Thanks for your explanation. Remember what Ortiz wrote- you cannot change the handling without changing the effect.
Yours is definitely a good effect, but it is a different effect.
There is no reason for the audience to ever suspect the coin or the chip and with a bit of management, they won't have opportunity nor desire to examine it.
The effect is a clever magical prediction and
While they realize the prediction was always there, they are delighted, "how did he know"
And then the change of the card is the finishing blow.
In your handling, there is an added, "how did he know" "how did it appear on the chip I already saw was blank" ?
Not saying one is better than the other. Just food for thought. I like to eliminate sleights a la Vernon but don't mind adding one if I feel it makes it stronger.
As stated, you added yours to give you peace of mind during their handling of the chip.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing it.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1007 Posts

Profile of mlippo
I'd like to know more about the origins of The Lucky Coin.

Thanks
Mark
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
617 Posts

Profile of qkeli
I do agree with Magicfish....and I think using a regular coin is far better because it’s more logical and natural no have a lucky coin, a poker chip calls out for suspicious for me...by the way Helder Guimaraes has also a handling for those interested.
Pierre Cardinlemon
View Profile
New user
Budapest, Hungary, EU
39 Posts

Magicfish, now I see your point. Although Expert Card Technique clearly states that the performer should look the effect from the spectators' perspective, I constantly fail to do that. Thank you for reminding me.

What confuses me is that several tricks (not in the CC) gives a lot of freedom to the performer saying "use your favorite force", "use your favorite control", even "reveal the card in the most surprising way you can devise". For example Shark Food in the Encyclopedia of Card Tricks ends with "reveal it as you wish". Thus regardless if one performs it as mind reading, pulse reading, lie detector or something else, I still consider it the Shark Food trick. As an amateur, I prefer books that contain more detailed descriptions of tricks refined during years of experiences, like Roberto's books. However, if I feel that changing something in the trick makes it more suitable for me, I try it that way.

Anyways, I still think that the original trick is really great (as every other tricks in the CC series). Maybe I just don't trust in my audience management skills enough.
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
355 Posts

Profile of kShepher
I would also like to know what the original Lucky Coin was. I searched it on Behr's archives and the only exact hit was Giobbi's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What are the best tricks in Roberto Giobbi's Card College 1 & 2? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL