The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin magic...for kids!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
I've never performed for kids (well, never performed anything really) but I remember seeing coin magic some 10-15 years ago when I was a kid. I didn't like anything with a long or elaborate story or coins across things, but I was truly amazed how this shiny silver coin could disappear and reappear and disappear and re—oh no—now there's two! Same goes for coin boxes.

The very close-up nature makes it even more fascinating. I'd say any visual coin magic is definitely for kids, just make sure you finish absolutely clean and anything you might be left with is examinable. You're OK if you're performing for kids who don't know you, but if they do know you, you better watch out as no doubt they'll want to examine your props and your pockets! I know I did. Smile

Edit: crazy man's handcuffs is also a great one. Be prepared to hear lots of 'do it again', which isn't a problem with everyone's favourite rubberband trick.
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1207 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Would Chris Korn coin material work with kids?
www.mikebrownmagic.com
<BR>http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=885780636
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27134 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
May need to do the stuff paying a bit more attention to the audience than he shows on the videos. If you have their attention, the misdirection stuff should work. I doubt they carry a pen in their jacket pocket though. ')
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1207 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Mr. Townsend,

Do you use any of the Korn material yourself?
www.mikebrownmagic.com
<BR>http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=885780636
dacsus65
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
12 Posts

Profile of dacsus65
I've got to agree, my girls all love coin magic the most. Even my little one, who's 20 months, enjoys coin magic. At her age, everything's a "penny" and it's all magic. My five- and seven-year-olds love the idea of something they want appearing out of nowhere. Just simple French Drops and their faces light up.

The great thing is about it is, anything they could want (within reason) can be "found" with a flourish.
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
My one-year-old kid loves coin magic. (Teaching him at an early age.) I was actually shocked that he followed it when I just did a simple French Drop and showed him that my hand was now empty. He laughed and then forgot what had just happened and started sucking on a stuffed animal. But for that three seconds I had him!
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
Hi Owen,

Here is my view regarding coin magic for kids!

I absolutely love performing coin magic for those ages you are refering to. My type of coin magic with kids is based on three principles: visual, audio, and feeling (touching of the coin) "period." I never perform any coin magic where a child has to think, such as coins across, etc. "Forget it." Lol.

From my experience, kids love it when a coin disappears (if the kids younger I have him or her blow on my hand). Presto the coin has vanished making them feel as though they are magic.

After a coin disappears, kids always 99.9 percent of the time want to know where it went. I always load kids' pockets, it's so easy! (Anyone can do it.) I just hold a coin up with my left arm (while I am on my knees) and say look at this, while my right hand loads the coin. I vanish the coin only to be found in a kid's pocket, "Wow." Kids love this!

All the other kids want a turn, so I say, "OK! Tommy is next," as I hold the coin up with my left arm. At this point all eyes are on the coin or Tommy, as my right hand loads a different kid. The coin vanishes up into the air, I say, "It's comming down, I see it...it's invisible...Oh it just bounced off Tommy's head (sorry Tommy) and landed in Kimberly's pocket." To everyone's surprise, especially Kimberly, the coin is in her pocket.

The response from this with kids is fantastic! I continue saying, "OK it's Jonny's turn," (of course loading a different kid along with telling a different story). What I am doing here is keeping a kid one ahead at all times. I also load the kids' hoods and their shoes. Everyone loves it. During all this, I am throwing the coin through my ears out my mouth, through the kids' ears as well...all the kids love it. They are laughing, having fun and best of all they are full of smiles (all because they are amazed).

I always hold a silver dollar in back finger clip only to dump a kid's cap onto my empty palm...wow! The coin was in your hat. No way I say! When I see a kid with a visor on that's the most magic. I turn the visor upside down and pull coins out of the visor, saying, "Oh my god I can't believe all these coins are in your hat..." Kids love it because it's a visor and they can't believe the coins are coming out of it. (Kinda like a magician would do with a purse frame.)

Here's a great one. Vanish a coin anyway you like. Say it's gone and I think I know where it is, it's in someone's shoe. Quick take them off. As all the kids are shaking their shoes, just simply drop a coin on the floor around them. They will hear it and will all think it came from their shoe, screaming it was in my shoe!!!

My point here is it is so easy for me to perform coin magic for kids, simply because I am turning the coin magic into fun. I know kids will always like fun better than coin magic. Most of all I know enough to never leave a kid out, I involve them all because they all have feelings...just like adults!!!

MICKEY
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Mickey,

Dittos on "Not making them think". Coins across in an of itself is a tough sell for kids, but if you present it as "some for you and some for me" and theirs keep jumping into your pile, they'll get into it.

Do you have any trouble with the kids keeping the coins? Or wanting to keep the coins?

And, you didn't mention your famous "SUV into the mouth". Do you do this for the kids? Do they do it?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Mickey,

Well what can I say?! Your response has really boosted my opinion of coin magic for kids. As you said, one of the three main points you made was that the magic had to be visual.

The descriptions of the sort of things you perform make me want to be a kid again!

Thanks for some really good advice!
owen
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
C'mon Curtis! I can't believe you really think kids keep coins, or, want to keep them. "No way." "Not kids." ...Lol...Lol..of course I'm just kidding!

Curtis has brought up some very interesting questions. In my experience: 90 percent of the time, kids always want to keep a coin, one way or the other (if you know what I mean). I know this, and expect it. It seems to me that the more magical coin magic looks, all the more the kids want a coin. My point here is for the most part it's not about the value of the coin, it's the coin itself being magic.

What I do is this, if a kid tries to keep a coin and not give it back, (I trick them). Sometimes by saying, "OK! Who wants to see Tony and me (Tony being the kid who wants to keep the coin) do another trick?" bringing a smile to Tony's face as he passes me the coin.

Some kids are real determined to keep the coin. If so I immediately pull an extremely high polished silver jumbo coin out of my back pocket saying, "Who wants this?" Every kid screams, "I do!" The determined kid keeping the coin "NOW" wants to trade. "The trick here" is just to get the coin back. Remember! Every kid wants the best! I have come up with a fool proof method that satisfies every kid.

If I notice a kid or kids really want a coin I'll say, "Hey kids, when I'm all done I'm going to give everyone a coin in a real magical way. OK!" At the end of showing them my coin magic I say, "Everyone watch this..." I take a silver dollar and place it into my hand. I snap my fingers and it shrinks. WOW! No way! Can you believe that?! The kids love it! (What they don't understand is I'm being sneaky. The silver dollar has shrunk to just a regular quarter.) I make it big immediately. Now I take the silver dollar, put it in my hand (really doing my "SUV") and throw it at a kid. "Wow! It's gone!" I say the kid's name loud.

"Wow! Billy" I reach into my pocket grab another coin and throw it at another kid saying that kid's name as well.

"Wow! Lori!" I repeat this till a silver dollar has disappeared in front of each kid along with saying their names.

Note: I say all the kids' names to make each kid feel special. Now I say, "Where did all the coins go?" Some kids are checking their pockets and looking around! I then say, "I know! Would you believe the coin I threw at you is at home on your bed? Wait a minute, does everyone have a bed here?" Ya! Ya! the kids scream. I say, "OK! Tonight when you go to bed that silver dollar will be on your bed...remember...that's only when you go to bed. Now! If you're lucky the coin might have magically grown big like this."

I hold up a shiny silver jumbo coin or maybe it shrunk (I "do not" show the quarter) so in every kid's mind they are getting a magic coin! (Or are they?) Of course I tell the parents and ask them if they could throw a quarter on the kid's bed. The reason I say "before you go to bed" is because some kids have a bed in the same house I'm doing the coin magic.

As far as eating coins in front of kids, well "that" will be another whole page...lol.

Thanks for reading,
Mickey
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
I recomend coloring the coins and putting stickers on them with catoon characters lik spongebob then say wher did he go or he like a ghost passin thru wall etc...Just make up storylines.
six
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
But does this not rather detract from the idea of using coins? This I suppose is similar to the idea that I mentioned in my first post of having a coin with bright colours...With an unavailable price.

Mickey...Great ideas, thanks!
Owen
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Personally I'd stick with good old shiny silver coins. Great contrast to the hand and much easier to see than eg a red one. If you want coloured coins, and have faaaaaaaaaaar too much money, take a look at this:

http://www.merchantofmagic.co.uk/cnb/sho......goryID=7
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks for the reminder to load coins as well as produce them.

What a great idea. I remember reading about Slydini doing that in Stars of Magic.

The art of body loading is another interesting read.

Sometimes while doing walk around I use quarters instead of my Morgans or Liberties. Then I can produce and give them out to the kids.

A group from a camp, came very early to one of my library programs yesterday. As I was already set up, I did some "preshow" work that included some coin work as well as other nearly normal close up stuff, that is not usually part of the program.

Preshow stuff helps warm them up, as well as spot potential volunteers for the main show.

I am thinking of having an engraver put the Nearly Normal Logo on some brass or aluminum "coins".
That way I can occassionally give out a coin and a message. (Can you say Branding? I knew you could.)

Earlier this month at a fair, I met a man who has a "Trophy Shop." His business "cards" were 2 to 3 Inch Brass Coins.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
http://www.nearlynormalmagic.com
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Harris I remember there being a company that makes custom coins of pretty much any material and size with your own logo etc on them. They are quite cheap (certainly cheaper than engraving unless you do it yourself) but you have to buy rather large numbers. I'll try to find the link for you (or maybe someone else has the link for the company that I'm talking about).
dacsus65
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
12 Posts

Profile of dacsus65
I've really picked up some good ideas here, thanks. Every kid I know loves coin magic, money itself is magic to them. But, you do have to target your audience, nothing too complex to follow for the little kids.

I recently showed my daughters my "hole in the head" by dropping a coin through and coughing it out. The fun part was a few minutes later I came back to the room and they were bouncing quarters off their heads trying to duplicate it.
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Sirakor and Harris,
Brilliant idea, personalised coins. You often hear about magicians having there own personalised cards, so why should magicians not have personalised coins. If you can find a link I would be most appreciative!
Owen
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
The man I met says he would do it for the cost of the coin. (with simple name and contact. Nearly Normal Magic and website) for about $1 (American each)

There was no minimum so I thought I might get a few and see how they "play".

Sirakor, I think I remember seeing an ad in a journal awhile back. Thanks for agreeing to take time to research the source.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Hi, I find for young kids (like under 10), shadow coins and coin magic that uses them, like when you "place" the coins in their hands, amaze them the most. OH, and gimmick coin magic works well too.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin magic...for kids!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL