The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Card Through Window (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I just purchased Peter Marvey's Card Through Window. I know it has received a lot of negative reviews because it is primarily designed to be performed at night. However, I was really impressed by the product. The concept is simple yet ingenious, and the video is extremely concise and easy to understand. I can't wait to try it out in practice sessions and on video rehearsals. Does anyone else have experience with this product? Any tips or suggestions on presentation would be extremely appreciated (let's not talk method, because I don't want to get into exposure). Thanks!
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5584 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Try out the daytime effect. You will like it.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Brent W
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
123 Posts

Profile of Brent W
A little off track I know, but I remember a version of the effect sold by John Kennedy a few years ago that was pretty amazing.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The suggestion for the daytime of effect is really nice. I've been practicing it and can't wait to get to the stage where I'm ready to perform the effect.

I also checked out the Kennedy CTW and it is widely touted as the superior effect. Sean Bogounia's CTW is also pretty amazing. The key difference for me, however,was the price point.

Hocus Pocus had Peter Marvey's effect on sale for $40.00!! Although I know it's not the strongest effect out there, I couldn't resist the price. So far, I think I got my money's worth.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
I got lucky and got my grippers on Kennedy's CTW when hocus pocus was cleaning house one day...nabbed it for $100.00 and I must say it's the best investment I've made for that type of effect. Hope I can get as lucky in getting Kennedy's Stealth Deck.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Me and a friend did a card thru window effect not too long ago at a cook out, we waited till dark and performed the trick...of course nobody knew my friend was even a part of it (if ya know what I mean)and the effect on everyone watching was Fr**ging amazing!!!
We didn't spend a dime on it either...just a few hours of practice...and a couple brews.
Johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
seanalexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
194 Posts

Profile of seanalexander
Do you need 2 of you to do Marvey's version?
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Hmm...I don't know.

Johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Doha Dealer
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Doha Dealer
I just got Sean Bogunia's card thru window - remote control and I must say - it rocks. I am going to get a lot of mileage out of this one.

Is Peter Marvey's remote controlled as well, I don't know it. I reckon thaat is a real plus to the effect.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Peter Marvey's CTW is a one person effect. It doesn't rely on remote contol. Your hand with the cards simply approaches the window. The hand lets go of the cards and the selected card appears on the other side. As a convincer, you can even tear a corner off of the card and give it to the spectator to help identify his card.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Jeff Parmer
View Profile
New user
Redondo Beach CA
8 Posts

Profile of Jeff Parmer
Sort of off the subject but not.
Regarding the John Kennedy Version.
Has anyone performed it for a group yet?
I haven't so far.
I don't like that you have to open the blinds or curtains and "Oh look there is something stuck here"
I heard from Ron Anderson a magician friend of mine that he has the older version (of Kennedy's) that came with a window shade that you stuck to the inside of the window. Then you spring the cards against the window (much better) that would trigger the roller shade to go up, and blammo there is a card stuck to the window. Much better if you ask me. I talked to John at a convention and he said he would make one up for me. I have been too busy working and too lazy to get it going.

What is anybody's experience with kennedy's?
And what is the principal difference with Marvey's version.

Magicman845's post has me very intrigued.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I'm not sure if we can actually go into the differences in methodology without exposing the two effects. As for the Marvey effect, the method is completely low-tech, meaning very little can ever go wrong with it mechanically.

But, you must be very aware of the lighting conditions before performing this effect. I believe this limitation is what has likely generated the most criticism for Peter Marvey's CTW.

The instructions do contain a day time variation that can be performed, but I haven't tried that out yet. Quite frankly, I'm not sure if it would be as strong.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Jeff Parmer
View Profile
New user
Redondo Beach CA
8 Posts

Profile of Jeff Parmer
Yeah you are right. We cannot discuss the differences, without exposing the trick. I just read about Café ettiquette today.
Sorry for the out of line request. No harm intended.
Zach Allen
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Zach Allen
Presentational point for the daytime version of Marvey's...

Use a Bulls-eye for the cover, with the hole in the middle. Then, throw the deck up against the window and the card will appear - have it appear face down. The spectator goes to see if you got their card, and realize it is on the other side of the window.

I use this with my own method from my Evolution book, but it could easily be adapted to Marvey's as well, and makes for a bit more sense.

Zach
Check out all 6 of my e-books!
The Magic of Zach Allen

Also, here is a free PDF of ideas:
Starlit Circles
jl
View Profile
New user
uk
65 Posts

Profile of jl
I got Marvey's version a while back..........and sold it a few weeks later, I really didn't like it, it was one of them things where you spend a fair amount of money on it and when it gets to you, you "think oh my god, there goes my 90 quid" I felt so guilty selling!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Card Through Window (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL