The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ambitious Card Question (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-11-18 22:32, scody wrote:

So with all the waxing poetically about this should be done, or that shouldn't be done... or whatever... I have decided to go with what the experts tell me. The experts being the audience.

You are a VERY smart performer!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I've been re working my ACR's finale and have been thinking the Mystery box seems like a great ending! I may also employ the use of Extractor with or without the box! Using both may be gilding the lilly as they say but in practice it works well!

I agree Uriel, Kamm's ACR is one of the best!

Mick
zing82
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
218 Posts

Profile of zing82
How about Loophole by our member, Cameron Francis?
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.
Colin Mandel
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Colin Mandel
Card To THEIR Mouth is always a killer... But I'm yet to work out a method.

I disagree that the Ambitious Card Routine is a puzzle and not a magic effect. When it is presented as a puzzle it is usually very boring. When it is presented as a full blown routine with twists and turns, and the spectators burning your hands but still not seeing what is going on and then an ultra surprising ending it becomes not only card magic, but magic with the spectator. They have to challenge what there eyes are seeing. This is hugely entertaining and makes it a great effect.

Colin
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
My favorite endings are:

ungaffed - pop-up move or card to pocket
gaffed - Daryl's Ultimate Ambition improved - this is truly the strongest way to end an AC routine but requires a tad bit of set-up.
magicator
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of magicator
Remember your spectators perceive magic in terms of power. ACR claims the magic power to bring a card to the top (or any location in the deck).
Daryl's Ultimate ambition seems to be the only in your list that stays within the same power. Therefore it will be better perceived as the others. Ending with card to wallet is a little bit like ending coins across making the last coin vanish.... different effect, different power. Unless.... you place a wallet on top of the deck or find a motivation why the card gets inside the wallet.
Essie
View Profile
Loyal user
Boulder, CO
278 Posts

Profile of Essie
I'm not really sure which move to recommend since I don't know how you're trying to structure your routine or what your goal is for the ACR presentationally. Personally, I've never really seen the appeal of using a card to impossible location as a closer for the ACR since it seems like a totally different effect (ie. the card is traveling invisibly to somewhere impossible rather than coming to the top, which is what it's been doing for at least several phases thus far), but it's certainly possible that I just haven't seen a good presentation of it yet. As such, I usually end with the Braue pop-up move since it looks completely fair and "move"-free, but something else might work better with your presentation. I'd recommend trying out at least several of the alternatives you mention in front of real spectators and see what seems to work the best (or whichever you like the most in actual performance). Hope that helps somewhat!

Quote:
On 2004-05-18 22:13, Paul Chosse wrote:
There are no best endings for the Ambitious Card. It is a plot with no ending. No matter what you do, the spectator knows what is going to happen. This is a puzzle, not a magic trick, as it is usually seen. It appeals to magicians, and it puzzles laymen, but it is certainly not a good magical effect. You make the card rise, then you do it again, then you do it again, then you do it more imposssibly, then you do it with a bend, then you do it to a shoe, then you're done - ho, hum! The AC is a challenge effect, and it shows how clever you can be, but it certainly has no plot - think about that! By the way, there are solutions, I've seen some. They're not in print, and I hope they never are, but there are solutions...

Best, PSC

With all due respect, I completely disagree; I think this can be one of the most magical effects possible when performed well. Granted, many people don't perform it well (I think), and as a result the magic becomes trivialized and the whole routine just becomes a mere puzzle for the audience. At a higher level though, the ambitious framework allows you to clearly appear to do the impossible without any "moves," and then repeat it in an even more fair, open manner to prove to them that you really are doing "real" magic. Basically, by virtue of the effect being repeatable you have the opportunity to apparently prove that you are doing something amazing without using any trickery or sleight of hand at all - what could be more magical than that? If you still don't think it's magical to laymen, I'd suggest you go and re-watch the original Blaine specials. I still remember when they first came out, and one of the routines that lay people talked about a lot was his ACR.

As for there being no innate plot or ending to the ACR, I think that could be said of just about any effect. Any one trick or routine on its own is just a series of moves - it's up to the performer to create a justification for his audience to watch his/her tricks and effects in the first place by adding patter, plot, etc. to the effect. I think the ACR just requires a little more effort in this regard than most other tricks since it tends to have a looser framework and structure.
"Comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable."
-Jeff McBride
magicator
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of magicator
I totally agree with Essie. Whether ACR has a plot or not only depends on the performer. The challenge is one way of presenting it. But there are tons of others. I like to present it as a piece of 'real magic'. Structuring ACR well with canceling methods and so on, allows to make it a very deceptive routine.
dtextreme
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of dtextreme
I like to do my ACR with the popup move, Wow with rubberband (as ways to prevent me from switching) to bring the card on top while facing up, and card to mouth as the volunteer pushes the "card" into the deck. This will bring laughter at the atmosphere relaxes. That's when I do card to envelope in wallet or card to impossible location--merging with a bill to lemon plot. I've performed ACR as a bill to lemon effect of having one spectator hold onto a package in the very beginning as I perform the ACR routine. Towards the end, I go either that everything they saw never existed as it was in the package all along or something along the lines of that
dtextreme
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of dtextreme
And just to clarify things, I do the ending in that order. From experience, a lot of people enjoy those endings so why not put them all together? I try to create the ACR routine like a roller coaster and have the card to mouth part as a "downhill" part of the ride. Then I proceed to end with a card to wallet or card in a package that was given to another spectator before the ACR routine (Bill in Lemon idea). Lastly, I sign "To" in front of the spectator's signature in the card, and "From Dave" and date it (Jeff McBride idea) to be given to the spectator as a gift.
howie3
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of howie3
I liked the pop up move but now I have high flyer from Peter Eggink.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4821 Posts

Profile of gdw
I think that the ending should emphasize the effect, the whole routine. Non-sequitur endings can be strong, and work well, but I think, even with them there should be some aspect that, somehow, ties in to/emphasizes the over all routine, in some way.

Basically, the finally should not make them forget the rest of the routine. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but the Ambitious Card doesn't really work for that. Especially considering the amount of work and thought most put into the routine before the finale.
Not that any of this is original thinking.

So, in the end, IMHO, and that of many others I imagine, something like card to wallet, etc, takes away from both your ambitious card routine and your card to wallet, where as something like a more impossible ambitious phase, or something that retroactively makes the entire routine more impossible, like an omni-deck, work much better as a finale.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
I normally don't like using gimmicks with cards, but when I saw WOW 2.0, I bought it specifically so that I can use it for the ending of an ACR. As some of you said, ACR is more of a puzzling effect rather than a magic trick, but when you end it with the WOW 2.0 gimmick it turns it into an impossible magic effect.
Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
I got wow too
but I rarely use it, but considering what you said, I might give it a try
Aelumag
View Profile
New user
Romania
18 Posts

Profile of Aelumag
I am not sure if this is the most correct topic to ask this, but I am trying to find a way to link the "card to mouth" sequence with the "bent card" sequence in my AC routine. Due to the nature of my routine, I really need to perform them in this order. Card to mouth and then Bent card. But I do not want to do it like Oz Pearlman does it on his Born to Perform video, because I do not like to turn over the top card. The way I thought about it is to control it again second from the top with a riffle shuffle, but it makes little sense to reshuffle the card in the middle of the routine. Therefore I await your suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 07:25, Aelumag wrote:
I am not sure if this is the most correct topic to ask this, but I am trying to find a way to link the "card to mouth" sequence with the "bent card" sequence in my AC routine. Due to the nature of my routine, I really need to perform them in this order. Card to mouth and then Bent card. But I do not want to do it like Oz Pearlman does it on his Born to Perform video, because I do not like to turn over the top card. The way I thought about it is to control it again second from the top with a riffle shuffle, but it makes little sense to reshuffle the card in the middle of the routine. Therefore I await your suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

I don't see problem turning over the card, as long as ur spectators don't see it.
well, you can do a tilt in between two of them.

or
use a DB, which I thick is unnessary, and killed the whole impromptu, non-gimmick ACR.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"This is a puzzle, not a magic trick, as it is usually seen. It appeals to magicians, and it puzzles laymen, but it is certainly not a good magical effect. You make the card rise, then you do it again, then you do it again, then you do it more imposssibly, then you do it with a bend, then you do it to a shoe, then you're done - ho, hum! "

it's not at all clear to me how this "clearly" renders it a puzzle, and not "magical."
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8261 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Interesting; guess I've been making a mistake doing my ACR all these decades. What "fools" me is that I have never, ever, gotten "it's a puzzle" reaction. As a matter of fact, jaws always drop when I do it, otherwise - why in the world would I do it when I know thousands of other card effects? Could it be, is it possible that, maybe, presentationhas something, perhaps a little bit, to do with it?
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
This last poster might be onto something.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"I end by explaining that the cards ambition can extend to its desire to just rebel against the rest of the deck."

I don't know; I find that the more ambitious cards are typically fairly conservative and rule-bound. They have been among the least likely to rebel against the rest of the deck -- at least so long as the existing structure and order allows them to pursue their ambitions, reasonably unimpeded. It is a thin line, too, between ambition and greed. Once an audience doesn't like a card, they lose all emotional investment in the narrative, virtually no matter how compelling it is to have ascended to the top of the deck following a flawless tilt insertion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ambitious Card Question (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL