The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Console by Mark Lemon / Ellusionist (265 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24..35~36~37 [Next]
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
I'm currently using Cipher with a lottery ticket (in actuality) in my wallet. Forcing of course. I'm trying to decide if a photo in my camera roll is less impressive (what I first thought) or more impressive (what I'm starting to think). If I got just the app for android, will I like it? In other words, those of you who just do that one effect without the console, do you?
Chanku
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Chanku
I received my Console device (ios) today and can confirm that it's unreliable and the buttons don't register the presses in a consistent manner. Headed for a refund.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2019, Nathan Alexander wrote:
I'm currently using Cipher with a lottery ticket (in actuality) in my wallet. Forcing of course. I'm trying to decide if a photo in my camera roll is less impressive (what I first thought) or more impressive (what I'm starting to think). If I got just the app for android, will I like it? In other words, those of you who just do that one effect without the console, do you?

The physical lottery ticket is going to be much more effective due to the fact that the physical lottery ticket is removed from the technology aspect of it. On top of that, with Cipher you have the bonus of harvesting extra information that you can use later on far far far far removed from them ever having been asked to use the information in any way due to the time delay you have at your disposal.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Can you imagine purchasing an expensive device in any other non-magic industry and being told that you will have to spend time practicing "pushing the buttons" in order for it to function reliably and consistently?

Magic is the only industry in existence where you could then run the risk of being labeled as someone who is "too lazy to practice" (horror of horrors!!!).
There are other remotes designed to be used surreptitiously in magic that do not seem to have this issue. I honestly do not believe for a second that it had to do with making it silent or long-lasting, etc. But had everything to do with bringing it to market quickly and cheaply. Believe it or not, magic companies are businesses and as such do not always have your best interests in mind.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2019, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2019, Nathan Alexander wrote:

The physical lottery ticket is going to be much more effective due to the fact that the physical lottery ticket is removed from the technology aspect of it. On top of that, with Cipher you have the bonus of harvesting extra information that you can use later on far far far far removed from them ever having been asked to use the information in any way due to the time delay you have at your disposal.

I agree with all that kissadookie wrote...plus, it just makes far more sense and is far more logical and believable to have the actual ticket and not just a photo of it.
Who takes a photo of their lottery tickets?
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
528 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2019, videoman wrote:
---just makes far more sense and is far more logical and believable to have the actual ticket and not just a photo of it.
Who takes a photo of their lottery tickets?

I agree, but on the other hand people are taking selfies in almost any stupid situations and with odd reasons, so why not....?
Hmmm! Smile
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
The actual ticket is 100 times better imo , it’s irrelevant whether sad people have nothing better to do than keep taking pictures of themselves 😂 .
Why are you going out of the way to drop clangers like smarties over the technology ( ie the method ) .
The sooner you get the phone ( yours ) out of play the better imho Gaz 🙂
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
I would agree the real ticket is better, but I do like that the numbers aren't forced in this version. Either way, I'm sticking with cipher for now.
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
528 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2019, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
The actual ticket is 100 times better imo , it’s irrelevant whether sad people have nothing better to do than keep taking pictures of themselves 😂 .
Why are you going out of the way to drop clangers like smarties over the technology ( ie the method ) .
The sooner you get the phone ( yours ) out of play the better imho Gaz 🙂

No objections!
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
The ithump app leaves Cipher standing on its head imo .
It offers a country mile more and is majorly unlooked which is a good thing Gaz 🙂
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
It offers a country mile more and is majorly unlooked which is a good thing Gaz 🙂

Would love to see a demo of iThump.
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2019, Chanku wrote:
I received my Console device (ios) today and can confirm that it's unreliable and the buttons don't register the presses in a consistent manner. Headed for a refund.

To be fair, you’ve only had the device for less than a day. So in reality, you’ll need to practice with this device more than just a few moments out of your day. It’s not a do as I do card trick. I do know that there are other electronics that offer this style of method and are more user friendly. ( which I may also test out ) Also more expensive. If you’re not willing to practice this for at least a couple of days, then this is more likely not your type of magic imo. God forbid we have to actually physically practice. I imagine you wouldn’t really be in to the muscle pass. Or the pass in general. Or a decent double l***. Call me old fashion. I just enjoy practicing thing I like doing. Like magic.

I do understand that each person has their own needs for magic. Some like challenges. Others like self working effects. To each their own.

I also have to agree with Videoman. Magic companies are businesses. And they definitely don’t have the best interests for customers. It’s about the all mighty dollar. But at least give your customer what they paid for in quality.

Nathan, if you’re using the android version, I believe you will definitely enjoy what the console app offers.
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
Quote:

I cannot agree with this any more than I do now. I’ve had iTHUMP for a while now. It blows the roof off of cypher in every aspect.
smacks183
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of smacks183
Having crashing issues with the Apple app. just updated and still having issues, especially with printing.
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2019, smacks183 wrote:
Having crashing issues with the Apple app. just updated and still having issues, especially with printing.

Terrible news. And Definitely frustrating. I have completely felt your frustration. I honestly don’t know if it will get fixed or not. I know Apple likes to take their time when approving updates. But In the same hand, it would be nice if Will or someone from E would at minimum, let us know that they are looking at our issues. I could deal with some type of information. But remaining completely silent on everything is where the frustration starts to build. I can only imagine what the response would be if they attempt to release another effect in the App Store.

Some of the poorest customer service I’ve ever received unfortunately.

I get it though. Business is business.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2019, Lonnie_Lyerla wrote:
Quote:

If you’re not willing to practice this for at least a couple of days, then this is more likely not your type of magic imo. God forbid we have to actually physically practice. I imagine you wouldn’t really be in to the muscle pass. Or the pass in general. Or a decent double l***. Call me old fashion. I just enjoy practicing thing I like doing. Like magic.

I do understand that each person has their own needs for magic. Some like challenges. Others like self working effects. To each their own.

I get so tired of hearing this ridiculous false equivalency. Just because someone doesn't feel you should have to "practice" using a device that should be able to simply work straight out of the box doesn't mean you are a lazy magician (which is what you are trying to imply even though you are doing your best to sound diplomatic, or if not then it certainly sounds condescending to me.)

This Console device is not a musical instrument and I don't feel it should be put in the same category as one. It could have been made to work simply and effortlessly but either due to poor design or cost-saving measures (or maybe both?) it requires effort and a learning curve on the part of the user in order to operate it reliably. Again, let me be clear, I am not opposed to "putting in the work" in order to master something. I just have to selective about what that skill is and what I'm opposed to is having to spend time practicing and learning something in order to make up for the shortcomings of a device. I have a limited amount of time in which to practice and I would rather put that time towards practicing and learning something that genuinely requires practice and not towards learning to push a button in exactly the right way. As I said before, magic is the only industry where you could find suckers, err, I mean consumers, that happily buy into this nonsense.

Gosh, reading this you would think I actually bought one of these things. Smile
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2019, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2019, Lonnie_Lyerla wrote:
Quote:

If you’re not willing to practice this for at least a couple of days, then this is more likely not your type of magic imo. God forbid we have to actually physically practice. I imagine you wouldn’t really be in to the muscle pass. Or the pass in general. Or a decent double l***. Call me old fashion. I just enjoy practicing thing I like doing. Like magic.

I get so tired of hearing this ridiculous false equivalency. Just because someone doesn't feel you should have to "practice" using a device that should be able to simply work straight out of the box doesn't mean you are a lazy magician (which is what you are trying to imply even though you are doing your best to sound diplomatic, or if not then it certainly sounds condescending to me.)

This Console device is not a musical instrument and I don't feel it should be put in the same category as one. It could have been made to work simply and effortlessly but either due to poor design or cost-saving measures (or maybe both?) it requires effort and a learning curve on the part of the user in order to operate it reliably. Again, let me be clear, I am not opposed to "putting in the work" in order to master something. I just have to selective about what that skill is and what I'm opposed to is having to spend time practicing and learning something in order to make up for the shortcomings of a device. I have a limited amount of time in which to practice and I would rather put that time towards practicing and learning something that genuinely requires practice and not towards learning to push a button in exactly the right way. As I said before, magic is the only industry where you could find suckers, err, I mean consumers, that happily buy into this nonsense.

Gosh, reading this you would think I actually bought one of these things. Smile

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha
You have your views on the term lazy. And I have mine. And others have theirs. That’s the beauty of opinions. We each have our own.
It sounds like I’m not the first person you’ve heard reference that practice is required for some things. If I turned the tables and said “ its sounds like you’re implying that lazy magicians don’t exist”. To me, that’s the exact same thing. Just reversed. But I think it’s safe to say that you’re not implying that.

Some food for thought-Condescending and diplomatic are not the ONLY ways that my comment could be interpreted. There are other ways.

Any who.
When it comes to the device, I was saying it’s not one of those things that’s a plug “n” play type of effect. It does actually require practice. Meaning you can’t be lazy. Some practice for memory work. Some practice for the way you’re comfortable with holding the device. Some practice for how you’re using the device. And some practice for multi tasking. ( such as patter while typing the information in ) If I could compare easy vs complex for a quick second. Learning the way the app works is so much easier than learning the way the device works. One you don’t need a bunch of practice. And the other one needs at least some practice.
Of course this is just my opinion. Which means absolutely nothing to most people.

Trust me, I wish it was as easy as 123. But unfortunately it’s not. Me personally, I’m satisfied with the device.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
The only thing I would add is if you take this device out of it’s hidden place and put it in the palm of your hand . Does every button you press work flawlessly every single time without compromise using a finger of your other hand ?
If the answers is yes you require more practice in the hidden position , if it’s no the device is defective or poorly designed imho Gaz 🙂
Chanku
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Chanku
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2019, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
The only thing I would add is if you take this device out of it’s hidden place and put it in the palm of your hand . Does every button you press work flawlessly every single time without compromise using a finger of your other hand ?
If the answers is yes you require more practice in the hidden position , if it’s no the device is defective or poorly designed imho Gaz 🙂

The consistency has got nothing to do with the position of the device. It just doesn’t work the way it’s supposed to on a consistent basis.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
The device should be similar to a car remote. Zero practice in pushing the button. But I can see practice in how to push the buttons while not having it look like there's a wrestling match going on in your pocket.

but again, as long as a finger is on the button, there should be zero practice involve in the activation of that button, just push it and it should do what it's supposed to do.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Console by Mark Lemon / Ellusionist (265 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24..35~36~37 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL