The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Nice little video (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skeleton
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
318 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtdSZ7UtZnI

Would love to see more videos of bizarrist "in action" - unfortunately (as has been stated in another thread somewhere) most of the performing one's tend to not have their performances filmed.

Not that I can not understand the reasons behind that, but nonetheless it is a pity.
To infinity, and beyond!
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On May 25, 2019, Skeleton wrote:
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtdSZ7UtZnI

Would love to see more videos of bizarrist "in action" - unfortunately (as has been stated in another thread somewhere) most of the performing one's tend to not have their performances filmed.

Not that I can not understand the reasons behind that, but nonetheless it is a pity.

Especially for those who live too far away or can't travel.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
In my personal experience, if you post a video, you get a handful of folks complaining that you are diminishing the art by doing so. After awhile, you just don't bother making videos anymore.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On May 25, 2019, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
In my personal experience, if you post a video, you get a handful of folks complaining that you are diminishing the art by doing so. After awhile, you just don't bother making videos anymore.

Always someone to complain. I was referring to posting them for a limited group like on the Café', not public like Youtube.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Then you get folks asking how you did your act, so they can rip you off without permission.
That Creepy Magician
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
Then you get folks asking how you did your act, so they can rip you off without permission.

Lol...I never was so arrogant as to believe my act was good enough to RIP off, only that it might entertain in some way. Good point though.

I have seen some pretty good ones from some of the Café' members over time but no one I know has ever complained someone stole their show.
Sean Xem
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
235 Posts

Profile of Sean Xem
Quote:
On May 25, 2019, weepinwil wrote:
Quote:

Lol...I never was so arrogant as to believe my act was good enough to RIP off, only that it might entertain

Agreed completely lol.

How bout some humility?
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

It doesn't matter how good your act is; there will still be folks who will want to rip it off.

I'm not saying that my routines are perfect; far from it, in fact, as I am intimately aware of every little flaw. Even my videos which represent my best performance (at the time), and take advantage of the ability to edit out unnecessary moments, still have their fair share of flaws. And yet, I leave them up, mostly to document these routines.

I speak from experience, as whenever I share a link to one of these videos, invariably I'll receive a PM from someone asking which method I used (or where they can learn it), plus where to obtain the props that I use. It doesn't take a mind-reader to realize the intent of said person. But here's the catch; to duplicate any of my routines, will typically cost several hundred dollars just for the props alone, which is enough to scare away most wannabees.

So, humility has nothing to do with it. And there's nothing wrong with being proud of your act; which some choose to interpret as arrogance. But those acts took time and money to develop, and just because I choose to share some of my "retired" routines with the world via video, does not mean that I have granted permission for anyone to duplicate them. If anything, I am laying claim to my particular presentation. After I'm dead, then imitators are free to rip me off . . . er, pay homage to me, if they so choose. In the meantime, if you like one of my routines so much that you want to incorporate something similar in your act, then either do the work yourself to figure out how to recreate it, or else, ask how you can purchase the performance rights (which will often involve continuous royalties from every time you perform it).

Another reason not to post videos, is that whenever you do, you get the occasional comment where someone will "explain" how it is done. Usually the explanation is wrong, but no matter. That's why I moderate any comments on YouTube, and I have to keep constant vigilance on anything I post on TikTok. What baffles me is that some of the exposers post their own performance videos, and some of them even invite their followers to try to explain how their tricks are done.

So, there are many reasons why performers may choose not to post videos:
1. Criticism from other "performers" (armchair or otherwise)
2. Performers who plan to rip off the performance
3. Risk of exposure

Anyone care to add to the list?
That Creepy Magician
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I post several videos in French.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On May 25, 2019, weepinwil wrote:
Always someone to complain. I was referring to posting them for a limited group like on the Café', not public like Youtube.

Great idea.
Bob
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I don't usually post my act because I am going organic and natural with the props and don't look good naked anymore. Here is my explanation in video format:

https://www.facebook.com/don.harbin.73/p......_reshare
scottishpiper51
View Profile
Regular user
of Gris-Gris
138 Posts

Profile of scottishpiper51
The link just takes me to your FB page. No video. Smile
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On May 26, 2019, scottishpiper51 wrote:
The link just takes me to your FB page. No video. Smile

The video is on FB page (it isn't my page but don't tell anyone) You click the video showing Snake Oil Willie sitting in a truck.

Try this one by Stan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zuby1blqDI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Nice little video (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL