The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » This Years BGT the Good and the Bad (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
montanna40
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of montanna40
Quote:
On May 28, 2019, aabc wrote:
I think that just forcing something has become far too common on these shows- look at both Dave and Finn's performances, both of Matt Stirling's, both of the Haunting's, both of 4MG's and John Archer's. Obviously this should not be obvious to the audience but with something like the T-shirt reveal, it is pretty clear what is happening, even if they don't know how it was forced. Remember that for a layman, working out that it was forced means for them that it hasn't fooled them (as far as they are concerned). John Archer's and the Haunting's acts disguised them much better though, as there were other effects that didn't make the force a focal point.

Totally agree. I am seeing too many forced cards , predictions etc etc
The haunting ( they should have gone through) and John Archer did a better way of disguising it
Hopefully they can do something a little more imaginative in the final

But well done all the same
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1580 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
4mg were very good today! Deserved to get through

Although I was thinking the exact same thing of the prediction type things in these shows....I've been seeing ALOT of them...I would like to see some different type of magic for a change!
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
533 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On May 28, 2019, SleepyMagic wrote:

Although I was thinking the exact same thing of the prediction type things in these shows....I've been seeing ALOT of them...I would like to see some different type of magic for a change!

In that case you might like

https://angels-inc.nl/

who are also on Tonight along with John Archer
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1559 Posts

Profile of elimagic
4MG I have very mixed feelings about. I think it is mainly a symptom of there being too many “force - prediction “
routines being done by everyone. I also think that the format of 4 performers leads to a strange dynamic of zero personality in the routines. I couldn’t tell you any of their names etc...just kinda trick ponie. However, with that said, i’d take them over pretty much any others fix act i’ve seen this year with exception to john archer, who was fabulous.
Get the girl with the haunting theme and the guy with the dog out of here... silly(in a bad way), lack of any credibility... etc. Really dislike those two acts.

I think magic is being too heavily featured now, which is probably not the actual problem. I’d rather have one or two, different themes/styles magic acts that are very good, then a bunch of seemingly mediocre magic acts. Less is more.
aabc
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of aabc
I personally didn't mind the Haunting too much but for me, Dave and Finn (the dog) were very poor. Other than a wonderful story, which is truly incredible, the magic itself had very little substance or presentation, and his semi-final act was blindingly obvious and went wrong (even for a layperson-my sister understood the whole thing and she doesn't know much about magic). I feel like using the dog as the apparent method was contrived, and he didn't go through with it in the whole act as the judges (or rather him) picking the letters "TRUEFU" had nothing to do with the dog. I don't want to take away from the clear bond they have and their amazing story, but as a magic act for me it was not up to scratch.
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1890 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On May 29, 2019, Martin.Lester wrote:
Quote:
On May 28, 2019, SleepyMagic wrote:

In that case you might like

https://angels-inc.nl/

who are also on Tonight along with John Archer

Simon just said he thought the Angels inc were better than 4MG

was a good start to the show
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1890 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
John Archer Killed it tonight !!

If anyone deserves to be in the final it’s John
montanna40
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of montanna40
He did
Always like his manner and presentation
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Did it go wrong at the end ? Didn’t get why the bowl was used
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4663 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
It did appear convoluted at the end as it could have appeared in the bowl directly or he could have used a gift box removing the gizmo as you take the lid off . Got the job done though with great presentation imho Gaz 🙂
Arthur T
View Profile
Regular user
Wales,UK
140 Posts

Profile of Arthur T
I think the bowl was used to kill some time to allow what needed to happen
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin
1261 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
4MG was a magic trade show - now that was convoluted.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1580 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
I actually enjoyed John archer so much today! I wasn't expecting to. I enjoyed him much more than other magic acts!
Arthur T
View Profile
Regular user
Wales,UK
140 Posts

Profile of Arthur T
The effect was certainly magical for a layperson, I just really enjoyed his banter. The amount of jokes he made of Simon was great. The David walliams dress gag was funny too.
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1890 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
John Archer Robbed !!

It was down to the judges
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4663 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I didn’t mean convoluted ( I got the wrong word ) it just appeared to go a bit wrong or at least it could have looked cleaner . Anyway he easily deserved to win that semi by a mile , that’s the PC brigade for you 🙂
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Have to agree what a result

If any one should have been in the final it should have been John
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3316 Posts

Profile of warren
Just watched John he was excellent Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » This Years BGT the Good and the Bad (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL