The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Debajo (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

equivoque
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Anyone heard anything? Any reviews?
CardGuyMike
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
I saw the trailer and was unimpressed. I mean really, I'm not supposed to notice that he moved the first card to the end of the row? This is essentially Paul Gordon's Muldoon Match with objects under the cards and a switch that won't fool anyone. I'll stick to Muldoon Match.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4282 Posts

Profile of Daegs
CardGuyMike, perhaps you're watching this like a magician. First off, the demo and ad copy calls out the item production, but most audiences would have a huge smack of surprise at the production which covers the non-move "move". Even if they see it happen, the excitement from production can make them lose memory or importance of it. Second, magicians know about one ahead principle, so as soon as you realize what's happening, you're looking for how he's going to switch the order, which of course you'll find. Laymen don't recognize the principle though, so they don't know what they're looking for.

You should try performing it a couple of times before declaring it won't fool anyone. It's not my favorite effect and generally don't like OAP, but I can still see how the routine works for audiences.
CardGuyMike
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
To each his own. I think that blatantly picking up the first card and putting it back in a different place won't fly, especially when you've established (or at least implied) that the spectator's predictions are going to match up with the cards. I wasn't really looking for the OAP in the moment, but just couldn't help noticing what he did. Although granted what I as a magician "notice" may be different than a layperson. I think in any given audience it may fly by some people who aren't really paying that much attention, especially if you are a particularly engaging performer, but again I prefer the much more deceptive switch of Muldoon Match.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4282 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Muldoon Match being more deceptive is subjective at best. There, you have to gather up the 3 cards, squaring them in process and bring them to the deck. Plus, the switch is done at a moment where all attention is on the cards, which is the worst time to do a switch. Plus, the switch is a sleight and must be hidden.

In Debajo, at the end the deck is completely out of play, the cards are never squared up, and the switch is done openly on an off-beat moment under cover of a surprise production effect, and the rest of the handling is 100% clean. By the time the attention is back onto the values of the cards, everything appears as it should.

*IF* the audience misses the casual gesture with the card being important to the method, then it would appear much fairer and hands off than Muldoon Match. I agree that there are tradeoffs in the two methods, but your inability to see how deceptive Debajo is to a real audience I think is due to you "thinking like a magician." If you try both of them and decide one works better for your character, that's fine, but don't be so dismissive of an effect you've clearly never performed.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1883 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Magic Review - Debajo by Juan Luis Rubiales

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEcxFpjCoU8
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3059 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
709 Posts

Profile of dduane
On sale for $9 on the Magic Warehouse.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2621 Posts

Profile of John Long
Hey, For What its Worth,

I don't do much card magic, but I am quite familiar with the OAP (as its being called here), and have used it for different effects, even with cards.

I was fooled, it looked good. I think the presentation style, and not knowing what to watch for (as stated above) allowed me to watch the effect as a layman (I did not notice the move). I assume that the stated gimmick is used for the object productions.

However, I was surprised that the demo seemed to be in a parlor setting, this effect would seem to be better suited for close up - I could not clearly see or read the words (and cards were hard to see clearly from.. ) watching the video .

John
dalo
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of dalo
Well, looking at the trailer it does not look like a great mystery to me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Debajo (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL