The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Break-Apart Production Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
FrankFindley
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2019, Dan Ford wrote:
Abbott's put out a Continental Cabinet that worked on the same principle as Okito's Sleeve Production in the 70's, which I still use to this day. Very deceptive! It had a Dragon stenciled on the 4 sides which are no longer there, as I changed the outside look. Quite a l**d chamber.

Indeed, it is in my first Abbott's catalog from 1976! It looks like it may still be available. Here it is in action:

Quote:
On Jun 3, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Abbott's made this prop as well for many years. It sat up high in a glass case. No one ever suggested taking a look at it. They only painted it all black with some silver paint markings. Not very colorful for a stage prop.

Bill, is the Continental Cabinet the prop of which you were thinking or did they have another which was a Breakaway box?
FrankFindley
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
For those who like to DIY, Paul Osborne released plans for construction of the breaksway box in his Shop to Stage column in the October 2008 MUM magazine. Though I think he greatly underestimated the usefullness of this prop. This apparatus is so much more than simply a means to produce silks for use in other effects.

Yesterday I performed it at the IBM Ring 56 monthly meeting and it was very well received. It was a story based presentation. From it was produced a dozen flowers, five 4 inch balls, four 36 inch silks, one hundred one inch authentic chinese coins, two oranges, a bananna, and a string of large flags. This was after sevral corresponding items were removed from the box further verifying it was empty prior to the productions.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22055 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2019, FrankFindley wrote:

Quote:
On Jun 3, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Abbott's made this prop as well for many years. It sat up high in a glass case. No one ever suggested taking a look at it. They only painted it all black with some silver paint markings. Not very colorful for a stage prop.

Bill, is the Continental Cabinet the prop of which you were thinking or did they have another which was a Breakaway box?

No it was the one that you arm was inserted into, and the top and bottom fell open to show empty. I just checked Abbott's website, it is no longer listed, to bad and Greg made a video of it a while back.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Break-Apart Production Box (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL