The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Tricks & Effects Ľ Ľ [Review] Light It Up by Sansminds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1720 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Light It Up Ė Sansminds

Product description: If you would be able to do magic, what would you do? Fire and magic have a close relationship, flash paper, torch to rose etc.. With Light It Up, you are able to automatically light a zippo without touching it, which will add a touch of mystery to your performances. The idea is simple and I wonít reveal much by saying itís an electronic device hidden in a zippo case, which gives you a timer of 5 or 10 seconds before lighting by itself. But Sansminds is known for half finished and not working products so letís go into this review !

Price and where to buy it: This is sold at $120 for the black one, $150 for the classic walnut and $180 for Vigor Maroon and you can find them here : www.magicdream.fr

What you get: The packaging is simple yet quite cool, usual from Sansminds, white and elegant. Inside, youíll find the zippo which is a ďregularĒ zippo case with leather housing and inside the electronic module. Itís well made and can be taken in and out from the metallic housing. What I like too is the way you can change the heating coil, which is the weak point of all device like this so you can change it if it gets damaged. Youíre also supplied with a US charging plug and a usb cable. Of course, you get access to an instructional video which teaches you everything you need to know, from refilling the device, to charging it and using it. Overall, this is a nice piece of kit, it seems well made and works as advertised.

Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec4Xbj6DsGg&t=11s

The pros and the cons: Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS:
Itís an electronic device and itís from Sansminds so Iím a bit worried about whether it will work in 3 or 6 months.
The on/off switch is quite small and several friends of mine told me they broke it. So itís a bit fragile.
You canít really feel the button through the leather.

THE PROS:
It works as advertised, the heating coil is heating and trigger the wick which is full of zippo fluid. There is a small red glowing light, due to the heating coil, which is showing before the lightning of the wick but nothing weird.
The heating coil is something you can plug in so you can switch it easily if it gets damaged.
You get a 5 or 10 seconds delay before it lights up, which is, I think, enough to pull out some flash paper to ignite.
Your hands are free and away from the zippo when it lights up which is a really nice feature, you have nothing hidden or a remote to carry around.

Overall rating: It works as it should, itís a bit pricey but the electronic does all the work for you. If you like what you see in the trailer, you wonít be disappointed with Light It Up, but itís not my cup of tea, 3/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, the hardest part is to feel whether or not you pushed on the button, but itís something you can train to get the right amount of pressure, 2/5 stars.

Similar products: I have nothing in my minds which looks like this, maybe a self igniting candle but thatís all.

If you liked this review, make sure to check all my other ones on my website: http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews
Get yourself the Flap Cards guide : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4435

Make sure to check my review website, new reviews coming every week ! http://lesavisdalexis.wix.com/reviews
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11561 Posts

Profile of John C
I had to push the button so hard to get to on my hand shook.

Then it just stopped working within an hour.

I returned it and got my money back. I didn't want to end up a month later and not get my money back.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of The Mysterious One
When will people learn that when you purchase something from Sansminds, you are rolling the dice. Too many stories of bad customer service, misleading trailers and sales puffery, and products that either break or have quality control issues. I always try to see the positive in everything. Their Vanishing Ring is beautiful and works great (the trailer was beyond misleading and its puffery include untrue statements (i.e., you can handout the ringbox to the spectator for them to vanish the ring..Umm no, not exactly unless you want a $139 rattle box]. Vapr works fantastic with the help from our friends from Propdog (the hack when the Vapr coil went out which mind did on a like new unit after a day). I love the look of Light it Up, but fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...and I am not talking about the effect.....

Alex, I like your reviews. They are excellent and well written. I just wish there were more reviews that took into account the durability of the item. Nothing is worse than spending your money for something to break after the warranty/return date... That is not a shot against you Alex, but this is my critique on every magic review. But then again, magic reviews include new items, not items that have stood the test of time.

John C, I am glad you got your money back. When something doesn't work or that inner voice tells you that you made a bad purchasing decision, listen and RUN to the magic shop to return that item..before it is too late.

Good magic to all....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Tricks & Effects Ľ Ľ [Review] Light It Up by Sansminds (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL