The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Pop Bottle Trick problem (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
480 Posts

Profile of karnak
I just bought a “new old stock” Adams Pop Bottle Trick (otherwise known, I take it, as Anti-Gravico). I had this as a kid, and it worked great.

But this one, even though I believe it to be genuine and vintage, does not fit any glass pop or beer bottle I’ve tried to use it with. Coke Zero, Corona, Stella Artois... nothing works. The gimmick is too small. It either goes on barely half way, or just not at all.

Disappointing. Money wasted. Have glass bottles expanded their “mouthpieces” over the intervening years? Has the old clear plastic gimmick shrunk? Any way of fixing or adjusting it? Or is this a lost cause?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3084 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I made one with a piece of clear packing tape cut round the bottle that it was designed to fit. Use the sticky side to attach, despite the water! One use only, but don't be cheap! Puncture with needle when ready. No problem. Releases easily then sticks to bottle to ditch.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22055 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Karnak, of course it will not fit any plastic bottles, It only fits pop bottles that has a metal cap. This was made, way back when there was not plastic bottles, only glass bottles. I keep a glass coke, and glass 7 Up bottle just for this effect.

Coke is selling vintage bottled coke currently in stores. You might check out some stores yourself.

Just did a search, Target, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club is suppose to be carrying the coke in a glass bottle with metal cap, you need a vintage bottle opener to remove the cap.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
480 Posts

Profile of karnak
I've been using only glass bottles -- the kind with the metal cap that requires a bottle opener to remove -- and the old gimmick hasn't fit any of them so far. Too tight. I'm wondering if today's glass bottles are just slightly different in this regard than really old bottles of the past. Sometimes vintage Coke bottles turn up in antique shops; I'll bring the gimmick along next time I visit one for a test fit.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22055 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Karnak, I obtained an original gimmick, in the past 10 years. I found it was snug, but it still was easy to put on and off. I used it for children shows outside during the summer. All I can say, it was not so tight that it broke or split, but the kids really liked the effect. Of course I poured the water out on the ground in front of me. Then when empty, swung the bottle out, and they all thought they would get wet.

That old plastic, does shrink over time and improper storage. The only think I could suggest is to warm the gimmick with a hair drier, and then place on a bottle, Don't over heat, and don't force it to much. That plastic will melt very easily, and curl up to nothing.

I found the snugness an advantage, as it make me feel more secure in the handling.

Wish that company that bought the Adams Magic Company would bring the original back. It is much better then the one that came out several years ago, when the Anti Gravity was all the rage here on the Café. I did not cover the side of the lip of the bottle.

karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
480 Posts

Profile of karnak
The one I have I believe is also original, in that it came in a very vintage looking Adams white box. But it was so tight I could only wedge it part way at best onto the mouth of every glass pop and beer bottle I tried. It wasn't a secure fit at all, as it just wouldn't fully seat properly all the way around. I tried heating it in hot water to try and soften, loosen, or expand it a bit, and after several tries got it to fit over the mouth of my bottles. It works now but still isn't quite a perfect fit, so I may try the hotter hair dryer approach (great idea, hadn't thought of that).

Maybe once it's hot enough and molded to fit properly, I should immediately immerse gimmick and bottle together into cold water, to "set" it and shrink/tighten it up enough to maintain a secure fit.

The funny thing was, when I was working on it in hot water, the gimmick unexpectedly came apart, in the sense that -- much to my surprise -- it was evidently composed of two gimmicks nested tightly together. The hot water loosened them enough to separate. The outer one developed a crack, but the inner one is okay. Maybe that was part of the excess tightness problem?
FrankFindley
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
It has been many years since I sold the gimmicks when working at a magic store. But if I remember correctly, they were made for either the 6.5 ounce size and wouldn't work as well on the larger ounce sizes. Maybe you each could measure the volume of your bottles and verify this?
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
480 Posts

Profile of karnak
The only bottles I have are contemporary 8 oz and 12 oz glass bottles. The 6.5 oz appears to be a now-vintage size, no longer made. Might be available from antique sources. But as a kid I had this, and it worked fine on 12 oz bottles back then.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22055 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe the opening for glass pop bottles are made the same size. It has to do with putting on the cap by machine.

Yes, I have the 6 oz. size bottle. Karnak, the 6 oz. is has been brought back as I posted earlier. That is the only coke bottle there was in the 1940's to my knowledge. Much later 12 oz. bottles entered the market.

I believe you are being to picky about the "fit", from you last post, it seems you think it has to be gripping. It doesn't. This still used the scientific principle. The sides is more for centering the gimmick. If you know anything about air an water, you should know that there is no good seal without a gasket.

It works the way Adam's made it to work, not how you think it should work. and yes they were 2 for 0.25 cants back then. The new one I mentioned, sells or sold for like $12.50 for one.

Don't destroy the only one you have. Just perform the trick as the instructions says. Don Alan published a routine I one of his little booklets.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Pop Bottle Trick problem (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL