The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Silhouette by Tobias Dostal (124 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..21~22~23 [Next]
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Well I actually think Mark's review is encouraging. Looks like an effect that you will have to put some time into and practice. IF you do you will have a killer effect. Personally I think it will be worth it just like Kohlers CTG is going to be worth it, for me anyway! If an effect is killer but takes some time and practice, I definitely think it is worth it!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, PendletonThe3rd wrote:
I can understand taking that position on stocking some blatantly trash item by some no name company, etc....but regardless of whether you like Silhouette or not, I think it can be generally agreed it's a very well thought out and creative effect. I've seen the pics and while the gimmicks may not be for me, they appear to be very well made and clever.

Tobias is a respected creator. He's not some no-name putting out a piece of junk. He has a good track record. So it seems a bit harsh to not stock it.

To each's own, though so in that sense, I respect Mark's position.

I read the comments "Tobias is a respected creator, he has a good track record etc." quite a few times, this really puzzled me. "Ping" was a mediocre gimmick, and Stay Cool was a piece of crap which broke after 2 days: which other items make up the "good track record"? I might have missed something?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
I do agree, Stay Cool was a very cool idea but the gimmick was very cheaply made!
JasonL2112
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of JasonL2112
Since the cat is well out of the bag that the gimmick(s) are metal, does anyone "in the know" happen to know if the alloy used will work with a magnet? Would be great to use a holdout for the ditch.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, Dominic Reyes wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, Christopher Williams wrote:
I would also keen to know the durability of Silhouette

Been playing with this all day now. I love it. The supplied parts are very well made and durable. You can also easily make your own shadows

I'm planning to make a hand in a 'pinching' shape.. So I can have a thought 'plucked' from a spectators head Smile

Hope this helps
Dominic

Hey Dominic, since this is metal, does he teach how to make other shadows. Would you have to use other materials. I have other ideas too.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, scott0819 wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, reignofsound wrote:
Bravo Mark at Saturn Magic 👏🏻

In case people were curious on Mark's stance:
https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/blog/blog-98.html
. I applaud Mark for his honesty . This still sounds fantastic to me . Wondering what kind of magicians buy magic from his shop if he’s worried about an llusion that takes too much practice to perfect I for one practice a effect till I’m blue in the face even if it’s a simple as a paddle trick . Mine should arrive in the next few days I believe this will add something special to a illusion I am working on .
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Mark was not happy with the price, not happy with the amount of practice, and performance restrictions ie. angles, lighting, correct surface. He obviously doesn’t want 90 percent returned the next day and the hassle that goes with that.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Quote:
...He obviously doesn’t want 90 percent returned the next day and the hassle that goes with that.

That's a fair point.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Mark was not happy with the price, not happy with the amount of practice, and performance restrictions ie. angles, lighting, correct surface. He obviously doesn’t want 90 percent returned the next day and the hassle that goes with that.

Wrong Pegasus, Mark was absolutely fine with the price and what you received. He was also fine with the angles, I never heard him say that the angles were rubbish and it wont work. He actually praised the product for the ones who will actually take the time to practice and master it. Mark simply said that he knows 90% of his clients WILL NOT take the time to practice this. This holds true for most effects that require practice not to mention I believe it holds true that 90% of purchasers do not perform professionally or semi-pro that get paid for gigs. And these people usually are the ones that do not want to put the time in. And that's not a bad thing, it's all in what you want.

Did you watch the same review I did?
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
I watched it. You're 100% right on what he said RNK. I think this thing is awesome from what I've heard (including Mark's video). I just regret that I don't like or use a flip case. And I'm not sure I want to switch to it just for casual performances. Gigs, sure. So we'll see. It's fresh and fun to watch though.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2019, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, pegasus wrote:

Wrong Pegasus, Mark was absolutely fine with the price and what you received. He was also fine with the angles, I never heard him say that the angles were rubbish and it wont work. He actually praised the product for the ones who will actually take the time to practice and master it. Mark simply said that he knows 90% of his clients WILL NOT take the time to practice this. This holds true for most effects that require practice not to mention I believe it holds true that 90% of purchasers do not perform professionally or semi-pro that get paid for gigs. And these people usually are the ones that do not want to put the time in. And that's not a bad thing, it's all in what you want.

Did you watch the same review I did?

He’s being kind. You’re just blinded (as usual) by the sales pitch. Will this jump the queue of all the other effects that you’ve not yet mastered? I’d love to see your show. It must change daily.
magicant
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester UK
116 Posts

Profile of magicant
Quote:
Why would anyone here like your Facebook page?

Why would they not? I am providing a review of all the latest products that is unbiased and by liking you get notified of all the latest reviews.. Apologies for any offence caused for requesting this.
==============================

Producers of COVERT ADAPTIONS - INFAMOUS - DEADLY MARKED DECK - GUARANTEED JACKPOT - THE EXPERIMENT - CERBERUS WALLET - AND MANY MORE!

www.magicworld.co.uk (UK)
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2706 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, scott0819 wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, reignofsound wrote:
Bravo Mark at Saturn Magic 👏🏻

In case people were curious on Mark's stance:
https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/blog/blog-98.html

Thanks for that link & thank you, Mark!
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2019, pegasus wrote:
You’re just blinded (as usual) by the sales pitch. Will this jump the queue of all the other effects that you’ve not yet mastered? I’d love to see your show. It must change daily.

Wow. Would love to see your show too pegasus, would probably just involve you telling people how rubbish everything and that you know better as you read the daily express and fantasise that your opinion actually matters.

All mark said was he didn't think the product would suit his sales demographic. Which includes you.

And he wouldn't have to accept any returns. He said he liked the effect, the quality and the performance.

There will be a lot of 2nd hand sales, but that's down to the demographic and not the product.
I've asked to be banned
magicant
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester UK
116 Posts

Profile of magicant
Quote:
Will this jump the queue of all the other effects that you’ve not yet mastered?

Perhaps it will... because nowadays so many people just want the newest effect that is a clever gimmick yet self working and you can pick up in minutes which is a shame.

If any product this year makes me want to put in the time to learn then it is this one as you can see by my review and live performance after 15 minutes practice. It's so different... Not a card trick, and fun at the same time. For the 10% who put in the time this will be something your guests and friends talk about for a long time.. it's a party piece.

I disagree with hype not being worth it.. The hype is definitely worth it, at least for this trick.

Lastly £68.99 is a bargain for all the metal gimmicks and setup you receive. For once I actually don't feel ripped off and excited... But hey. that's just me Smile.
==============================

Producers of COVERT ADAPTIONS - INFAMOUS - DEADLY MARKED DECK - GUARANTEED JACKPOT - THE EXPERIMENT - CERBERUS WALLET - AND MANY MORE!

www.magicworld.co.uk (UK)
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I can see both sides of the coin here , but from my experience amateurs , hobbyists , and semi pros often put in more practice at times than the full time pros who tend to stick to the same effects but just change their audiences .
The 10% of non pros which is a skewed made up figure I believe ( as everyone seems to at least think they are a pro these days and are gigging ) have to keep changing their effects as they have the same audience so actually practice more .
It’s an urban myth in today’s society with magic being so out there that people just buy magic to collect or to find out the secret .
It’s easy to practice magic plus very enjoyable and rewarding if you just remember that practice doesn’t make perfect , perfect practice however does Gaz 🙂
Morganjj
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of Morganjj
Face it Pegasus, your first quote "Mark was not happy with the price, not happy with the amount of practice, and performance restrictions ie. angles, lighting, correct surface. He obviously doesn’t want 90 percent returned the next day and the hassle that goes with that." was just not borne out by what Mark actually said.

No need to get personal when someone points out (pretty politely, too!) that you're just making things up.
Morganjj
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of Morganjj
Gaz, I will say my 2c from Marks comment was that it was more about stagecraft - many hobbyists don't necessarily have a lot of theatrical skills, which are a critical part of this presentation.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
You are probably correct on that Morganjj and I also haven’t given this effect a lot of interest as it’s not my type of effect based on the trailers etc .
However the close up performance demo I saw with a load of overreacting teenagers was hardly what I would consider stagecraft ?
Anyway it’s not my type of magic , I don’t like phone magic and I don’t like effects that are pretty limited as to when and where they can be performed .
Apart from that I love it lol 🙂 and I am at least being honest as Mark at Saturn certainly appears to be too on this one Gaz 🙂
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
Funnily Mark's review makes me want this more. Full respect to him though, he's a businessman and everything he's said makes total sense. It's a tabloid trick to twist the headline any other way.

As for Stay Cool great effect and idea but terrible build quality. Mine broke almost instantly, though I did hear they were improving on it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Silhouette by Tobias Dostal (124 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..21~22~23 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL