The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Silhouette by Tobias Dostal (120 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..20~21~22 [Next]
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I haven’t received it yet but I have to humble myself and remember what a spec sees versus what I am trying g to accomplish. While we strive for excellence as magicians I imagine if a spectator sees a shadow engage with us, they are not going to fixate on how dark the shadow is as we would as trying to “perfect” a “masterpiece” with Television -Like standards we set for ourselves while we engage the “real” world.
montanna40
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of montanna40
Agreed

I think they will be taken aback about what they are seeing than thinking if that shadow is a lighter shade
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I predict that hardly anyone will actually use this in the real world and will ultimately sell it on . I maybe wrong but it just looks imo one of them effects that are super hyped and everyone gets super excited over but it ends up being very impractical in most surroundings Gaz 🙂
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1401 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2019, MagicBrent wrote:
I haven’t received it yet but I have to humble myself and remember what a spec sees versus what I am trying to accomplish. While we strive for excellence as magicians I imagine if a spectator sees a shadow engage with us, they are not going to fixate on how dark the shadow is as we would as trying to “perfect” a “masterpiece” with Television -Like standards we set for ourselves while we engage the “real” world.

Yep. Well said.
Frank Fantastic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Frank Fantastic
Hi everyone - my first real post here, thanks for letting me in !

As for Silhouette, knowing exactly what the gimmick is I think it's gonna be a bit harder to pull off than you might think from watching the trailer. Quite some sleight of hand -ish skill required, you can't just pick anyone random from the audience and angles could be an issue too (not sure how this could be seen as 180 degree safe). Oh yeah, and lots of coordination practice required as well. Not saying it's bad or anything, I'm sure it can look quite magical or be suprising and definitely doable, just not as easy as you might think.
At first I thought it'd be perfect for performing in casual social situations like on a night out, but knowing what I know now I'd feel safer doing the same thing on a set stage, maybe as part of an otherwise unrelated routine (where you just pick a rose from the shadow or do the card back and forth and then continue with your routine).
I once shook hands with Vernon.
Which means i have Houdini's particles on me now.
BillyBear
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of BillyBear
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2019, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
I predict that hardly anyone will actually use this in the real world and will ultimately sell it on . I maybe wrong but it just looks imo one of them effects that are super hyped and everyone gets super excited over but it ends up being very impractical in most surroundings Gaz 🙂

I totally agree. I think you’ve got to have really mastered the art of manipulation to be any good at this. Massively over hyped imo. This was marketed to me as “beginner level” - misleading beyond words.
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
732 Posts

Profile of scott0819
I watched the trailer several times before I noticed the difference in sharpness between real and fake shadows. I imagine most people are the same.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2692 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2019, scott0819 wrote:
I watched the trailer several times before I noticed the difference in sharpness between real and fake shadows. I imagine most people are the same.

that makes absolutely no sense at all. You said that you watched the trailer "Several Times" beforey ou noticed a difference in sharpness between the real and fake shadows. Spectators aren't going to watch it several times, so what is your point?
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
732 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2019, lunatik wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2019, scott0819 wrote:

that makes absolutely no sense at all. You said that you watched the trailer "Several Times" beforey ou noticed a difference in sharpness between the real and fake shadows. Spectators aren't going to watch it several times, so what is your point?

I just mean there are some people commenting that are concerned that the Silhouette shadows are “fuzzy”. This seems like a needless worry to me. No one is going to watch you do it repeatedly enough to notice that difference.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Special user
If only I didn't have a wife and kid I would have MUCH more than
942 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
I agree, Scott.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18181 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Most of these extra long threads in latest and greatest follow the seven stages of grief...

https://www.recover-from-grief.com/7-stages-of-grief.html
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4661 Posts

Profile of RNK
Got my copy yesterday and watched the instructional video and began playing with this. First impression is obviously it will take some practice and experimenting. I can see, in one aspect, why they consider this at beginner level because it is actually very easy to use. On the other hand, the only reason I would consider this higher than a beginner level is due to ones experience performing and being aware of angles Etc. Overall, I am happy with this and plan on using it. I foresee a lot of people here talking about the angle issue but there are a lot of tricks out there where people have to positioned more on one side rather than the other which all comes down to audience management and knowing when and when not to perform this. Given the right conditions I really think this is going to be fantastic and fun to perform!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4661 Posts

Profile of RNK
I actually might start using a flip case to help with the angles because I see great fun and potential with Silhouette!
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 13, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Most of these extra long threads in latest and greatest follow the seven stages of grief...

LOL. And you ordered this, right? Smile
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18181 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Quote:

LOL. And you ordered this, right? Smile

Yup, and I am looking forward to it... I know exactly what I'm going to use it for...

I think people have the expectation that this will make it look like you can control shadows and for me, that's ridiculous... It might have even been used as a selling point... Which is equally as daft...

For you magicians, surely this is a mixture of an unique skill and then, just for a moment or two, a flash of magic on top and nothing else...

People will know that something went across the torch light eventually... If you could do that then you'd just... Yknow... Use the sun and your own shadow... But we are not!

People need to take themselves less seriously, have some fun, bring a bit of unusualness some variety, something different...

I hope people do return this out of misplaced anger, because I don't think they've thought about this effect anywhere near enough to take best advantage of this unique release...

"doesn't fit my style" will be the most quoted phrase by magicians flogging this on after a weekends practice...
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Quote:
People need to take themselves less seriously, have some fun, bring a bit of unusualness some variety, something different...

I fully agree! I'm very interested in what your presentational angle would be and also in what circumstances you plan on using this. From what I can tell by your posts you think things through very thoroughly, so you surely have a plan. Would you share some of it with us? It would be great to hear some intelligent comments on this Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18181 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Nah... And mainly cos it just produces copycats... And also, why talk about thinking for yourself and then do what someone else does...
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Quote:

For you magicians, surely this is a mixture of an unique skill and then, just for a moment or two, a flash of magic on top and nothing else...

That's mentalism snobbery, Iain! Smile
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Quote:
Nah... And mainly cos it just produces copycats... And also, why talk about thinking for yourself and then do what someone else does...

Ok, too bad. But I understand.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18181 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Magicians have it easy... They need to reclaim the word, bring it a mixture of gravitas and fun... You guys get to break the laws of physics...

Freeze things, turn silver to gold, make things fly... All that and more...

But no, sponge rabbits and rubbish jokes and waistcoats with aces on it...

Such a wasted opportunity...

And the psychic side of Mentalism is just packed full of debunked woo woo and clichés...

Find your own niche and explore iit... Find tools and techniques that help you do it...

Even if its just for social performances, be more 'you' and think about what you like and why...

Don't pay attention to those who always post first and call foul... They're in their own rut and don't realise it... They'll label it as something else, but that's only a small part of it...

Oh and steer clear of those who keep getting banned and coming back under different names too, purely out of ego..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Silhouette by Tobias Dostal (120 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..20~21~22 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL