We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Silhouette by Tobias Dostal (118 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..20~21~22 [Next]
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
It's simple. That this is fun and magical has already been demonstrated, and viewers have expressed the same (laymen and pro magician alike, and for the most part we can assume the best intentions for their reactions.)

The rest (varying disagreements on hype, angles, price, etc) is inside baseball.

The payoff for practice is what you see in the video. If it's for you is really up to you.

I'm not getting it, but like it. Well done.
Hustler2014
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Hustler2014
I'm really confused by the hype on this - I think this looks terrible - I just don't get it?!

Looking at the image on the German site - https://www.stemaro-magic.de/Close-Up-Ma......tal.html - it's just like a metal puppet thing that goes on your thumb, positioned in front of a light source, which is of course exactly what any sane adult would expect it to be!

If I saw this live, my first reaction would be to look at the light source (the phone) to see what was being positioned in front of it. Everyone knows how to make a shadow animal with their fingers (I do them for my kids almost daily at bedtime), so nobody is going to be fooled by something like this, which is OBVIOUSLY being achieved by a variation on the same method. Yes it can move and yes it's more crisp than a pair of bunny ears via your fingers, but that's nothing additional that's going to impress anyone with half a brain cell.

Anyway, as I say, I just don't get it. I think it's possibly the worst, most obvious effect, I've ever seen.
JosephKerr
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
376 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
When I was a beginner, I was so passionate about the opportunity to learn magic that I dedicated
countless hours to it and practiced until my fingers bled (Hot shot cut with smaller hands). If this
effect is not for you then it is not for you. Good on you for realizing it. Disparaging the effect and the
Effort that it takes to bring something to market when Tobias never had to share it with us in the first place
Is just broadcasting your ego, idiocy, and lack of heart for magic to the rest of us. Making self satisfied
predictions that People will be selling this off is nothing to be proud of. Trolling a forum dedicated to helping
Artists and then agreeing with yourself using another account only serves to make this a worse place for everyone.
Opinions are fine but if you're not adding to the conversation you're just wasting your own
time and spiking the blood pressure of others. When I hear that something beautiful is also difficult
to do it just makes me more enthused about it. In a world where effects are so easy to perform that
the only barrier to entry is the price its refreshing to have something where the barrier to performance
is patient practice and determination to share something beautiful with your audiences.

I'm grateful to everyone involved in sharing this with the rest of us...And if anyone wants a slightly used
one then PM me.
"Challenge Your Reality"
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1302 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
I had a friend who saw this live last year at The Session. He was absolutely blown away
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2672 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2019, scott0819 wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2019, lunatik wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2019, scott0819 wrote:
I watched the trailer several times before I noticed the difference in sharpness between real and fake shadows. I imagine most people are the same.

that makes absolutely no sense at all. You said that you watched the trailer "Several Times" beforey ou noticed a difference in sharpness between the real and fake shadows. Spectators aren't going to watch it several times, so what is your point?

I just mean there are some people commenting that are concerned that the Silhouette shadows are “fuzzy”. This seems like a needless worry to me. No one is going to watch you do it repeatedly enough to notice that difference.

ah ok, I misunderstood your post, my apologies Smile
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2814 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I think at the end of the day this trick brings me hope that countless crappy magicians will buy it & learn the art of acting.

Nathan
BritishMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix. Az
174 Posts

Profile of BritishMagic
I absolutely love this effect, but after playing with it for a couple days, either my hands are too small or my phone (pixel 3 xl) is too big! So hard to get the animation to work!
Haven't given up yet, but loosing hope.. thinking it's just my phone, will try it with my girlfriends iPhone tonight
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Special user
If only I didn't have a wife and kid I would have MUCH more than
683 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2019, Nathan Pain wrote:
I think at the end of the day this trick brings me hope that countless crappy magicians will buy it & learn the art of acting.

Nathan

If you are trying to tell us you think you are good at acting you found a really unsympathetic way of doing so. If you want to inspire other magicians to take up acting you also found a really unsympathetic way of doing so. All we get from this post is that you think you are way better that most here. But any succesfiull pro will tell you that social skills are the most important tool in a magician’s arsenal. And the one thing you show in your post is a complete lack of those. Try acting some Smile
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7334 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2019, JosephKerr wrote:
When I was a beginner, I was so passionate about the opportunity to learn magic that I dedicated
countless hours to it and practiced until my fingers bled (Hot shot cut with smaller hands). If this
effect is not for you then it is not for you. Good on you for realizing it. Disparaging the effect and the
Effort that it takes to bring something to market when Tobias never had to share it with us in the first place
Is just broadcasting your ego, idiocy, and lack of heart for magic to the rest of us. Making self satisfied
predictions that People will be selling this off is nothing to be proud of. Trolling a forum dedicated to helping
Artists and then agreeing with yourself using another account only serves to make this a worse place for everyone.
Opinions are fine but if you're not adding to the conversation you're just wasting your own
time and spiking the blood pressure of others. When I hear that something beautiful is also difficult
to do it just makes me more enthused about it. In a world where effects are so easy to perform that
the only barrier to entry is the price its refreshing to have something where the barrier to performance
is patient practice and determination to share something beautiful with your audiences.

I'm grateful to everyone involved in sharing this with the rest of us...And if anyone wants a slightly used
one then PM me.

That last sentence cracked me up. 😂😂
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
2860 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Me too Pegasus I didn’t know if it was a joke or he worked for the main dealer . Either way it seemed pretty ironic don’t you think Gaz 😂
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

X3
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7334 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2019, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Me too Pegasus I didn’t know if it was a joke or he worked for the main dealer . Either way it seemed pretty ironic don’t you think Gaz 😂

How many times have we heard the same ole ‘second hand sales pitch’ spiel? “This is totally amazing but it’s just not for me” Yeh, whatever.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7334 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2019, IAIN wrote:
People need to take themselves less seriously, have some fun, bring a bit of unusualness some variety, something different...

I fully agree! I'm very interested in what your presentational angle would be and also in what circumstances you plan on using this. From what I can tell by your posts you think things through very thoroughly, so you surely have a plan. Would you share some of it with us? It would be great to hear some intelligent comments on this Smile

Intelligent comments? Iain? Lol.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7334 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2019, BritishMagic wrote:
I absolutely love this effect, but after playing with it for a couple days, either my hands are too small or my phone (pixel 3 xl) is too big! So hard to get the animation to work!
Haven't given up yet, but loosing hope.. thinking it's just my phone, will try it with my girlfriends iPhone tonight

That’s it, blame the phone. Lmao.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4615 Posts

Profile of RNK
I for one am having a ball with this! Love practicing it as well, so much fun!! I do believe I will get a flip case to help with the angles. Though, you can definitely do it with a borrowed phone, I would feel my comfortable with the flip case. And for me, this effect is so neat and different that I will add the flip case.

BritishMagic, I definitely can understand what you are saying, if your hands are to small this definitely would make performing this and trying to hide the method much more difficult. Hope it's your phone size and you can get a smaller one.
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
741 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2019, JosephKerr wrote:

one then PM me.

That last sentence cracked me up. 😂😂

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

LOL
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
422 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
This is now in stock and I can’t wait to receive it.

MP
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1567 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Then after he borrowed his phone and hacked it. "What's-up" with that? (Hey-ohhhh!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Silhouette by Tobias Dostal (118 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..20~21~22 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL