We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Silhouette by Tobias Dostal (118 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..20~21~22 [Next]
JasonL2112
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of JasonL2112
This thread is hilarious....

Consider this... Would you rather be entertained, or fooled? This looks to be a beautiful effect which could be woven into a story to create a fantastic experience.

Anything can be deconstructed when it's related to technology. The answer doesn't even need to be right, it just needs to be close enough if a "spectator" really wants to figure things out.

Do you really hope that someone witnessing this thinks you have the ability to control shadows, or do you want to create a potentially magical experience where you can make someone feel that sense of childlike wonder that we all have at some point.

I pre-ordered it for that reason, anyone interested in this to create the belief that you really have the ability to control light and shadow should probably give this one a pass (and maybe take some time to reconsider reality)...

Personally, I'll be spending some time weaving a few good stories and scenarios for this one in hopes of creating some moments where those participating don't "care" how it is done..
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2673 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Amen!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
You are given the tools to amaze what you do with those tools is up to you.

Good magic to all,
Eric
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
There are a few tools on this thread.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
2865 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
The point is this thread is about speculation and the real trouble is these days is people are not aloud to express opinions without getting a backlash in one form or another . This does look great and if it’s 25% as good as the super hyped endorsements it will be worth having . How practical this in finding a decent background to perform this on remains to be seen as in the demo it appears to be a proper set easel blank canvas . I will wait to see it performed in person to give a really true reflection Gaz 😉
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
949 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2019, JasonL2112 wrote:

Consider this... Would you rather be entertained, or fooled? This looks to be a beautiful effect which could be woven into a story to create a fantastic experience.

Anything can be deconstructed when it's related to technology. The answer doesn't even need to be right, it just needs to be close enough if a "spectator" really wants to figure things out.

Do you really hope that someone witnessing this thinks you have the ability to control shadows, or do you want to create a potentially magical experience where you can make someone feel that sense of childlike wonder that we all have at some point.

I pre-ordered it for that reason, anyone interested in this to create the belief that you really have the ability to control light and shadow should probably give this one a pass (and maybe take some time to reconsider reality)...

Personally, I'll be spending some time weaving a few good stories and scenarios for this one in hopes of creating some moments where those participating don't "care" how it is done..

👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏👏 👏 👏 👏 👏👏 👏 👏 👏 👏👏 👏 👏 👏 👏👏 👏 👏 👏 👏👏 👏 👏 👏 👏👏 👏 👏 👏 👏
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18033 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Repeat after me...

No one will suddenly believe that you can control shadows, especially after performing sponge balls or ambitious card....

I reckon lots will be up on the 2nd hand market soon enough... But it won't be the product's fault...
NEW - ECCE LOQUOR - how to read anything
http://www.lulu.com/shop/iain-dunford/ecce-loquor/paperback/product-24204371.html

BIG SALE ON...no code needed...
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Special user
If only I didn't have a wife and kid I would have MUCH more than
684 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Lucky Luke would be able to do amazing things with this gimmick. He could do the trick faster than his shadow.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about.
Nathan Horne
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Nathan Horne
This could add some 'magic' to an otherwise boring card routine. I can just imagine how doing the part with the shadow and the back palm could go down very well. You could say that your shadow helps you with sleight of hand and show how it can grab the selected card and hand it back to you when needed.

Looks different and entertaining, especially when combined with some sleight of hand.
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1212 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Tobias CONGRATULATIONS!

This is genius wonderful application Smile
gassaox
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of gassaox
I think holding the spectators finger shadow looks very strong ,I am going to do a routine based on the human spirit leaving the human body,demonstrating the scenario
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4616 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, Nathan Horne wrote:
This could add some 'magic' to an otherwise boring card routine.

Hmm, magic is not is the props you use, it is in the presentation/delivery. Yes, even cards can be very entertaining and fun! Majority if not all of layman know that magic isn't real and there is a method behind what we do. Therefore, the "entertainment factor" is not in the prop. Personally, I have tons of fun with my audience when performing card effects as does my audience! The old adage holds true, "successful magic is 10% the effect and 90% the presentation".

I did pre-order this because I definitely can see the entertainment value for me. I believe this prop has excellent potential from which I can develop many different fantastic routines/moments of which my audience will thoroughly enjoy! Only question remaining is if it is practical or not. If it is, I have a very good feeling about Silhoutte!

RNK
Havens
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
297 Posts

Profile of Havens
A site selling this effect tipped the method, which is pretty poor. Who am I kidding, they had a photo of the ******** which is really bad! Oddly though I'm more impressed than I was previously. I assumed this was a (basic) projector of some sort but there's actually a lot more going on that requires the skill of the performer. I guess that raises a discussion point, if people think it's a projector or an app does it matter if it's not? A phone is used in the performance, so will some people think the shadow is the result of technology when in fact it's little more (it's a bit more) than a convenient and practical light source.

The effect also reminds of another creepy and brilliant effect but I can't really say what it is without tipping the method. And no, it's not Ghost Vision.

It's funny, I wasn't impressed by this at all until I say the method but I now I think it's very clever indeed. Nice work Tobias.
JasonL2112
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of JasonL2112
Wasn't going to mention it, but saw the same. All I'll add is that this will be easier than expected to bring in & out of play. My "only" concern is durability which won't be a known until its in hand.

And yes, its brilliant.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
If you can't see the potential of something like this, get back to that Elmsley* count. I'm sure it could use some work.

*Not knocking Elmsley's Ghost Count, it's brilliant. If you think I was, you've missed the point. Again.
It's all in the reflexes.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4444 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I agree the picture needs to come down to stop revealing what the method is. I would also keen to know the durability of Silhouette
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
1601 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2019, JasonL2112 wrote:

Entertained or fooled?

As magicians, most of us are attempting to do both surely?

Consider this instead:

When you saw the demo did you think, "Cute trick. It must be something added to the phone's light, perhaps hidden by the phone case, to create the shadow."? I know I did.

Now, what makes you think your audience won't come to the same conclusion?
Author
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18033 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Because their reactions say otherwise...
http://www.lulu.com/shop/iain-dunford/ecce-loquor/paperback/product-24204371.html

Havens
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
297 Posts

Profile of Havens
"Do you really hope that someone witnessing this thinks you have the ability to control shadows, or do you want to create a potentially magical experience where you can make someone feel that sense of childlike wonder that we all have at some point. "

Both, definitely both.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18033 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Also, even when they do deconstruct the experience, their time has come and gone and ultimately... Who cares?

Who in their right mind will think a magician can really control the "power of shadows"...

They are there to be entertained to go on a brief unusual journey/experience...

Context is key, and above all else, just don't buy it if you think that's what an audience will do...

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Silhouette by Tobias Dostal (118 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..20~21~22 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL