The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Electronics help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
536 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
I'm hoping to make a remote controlled wizards magic wand that produces a large flash of light when the child waves it (or at least when I press the remote). I was expecting to use the flash unit from a single use disposable camera however, to my surprise there are three wires going to the flash "bulb". I was expecting just two, one at each end of the tube. The third wire goes to what looks like a piece of thin copper wrapped around the back of the flash bulb. Does anyone know what it's doing? Do I need it? (Don't bother warning me about the risk of a shock from the flash circuit - I already know all about them - the capacitor stays charged for a surprisingly long time after being switched off!!)
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2241 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
The two end leads go to the capacitor, the other goes to the trigger. There is a LOT of voltage at play here so proceed with caution and make sure it's insulated really well.

Click here to view attached image.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
536 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
Thanks for that. Following your guidance I've now found an article on the internet that explains it (sort of!)
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
125 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Magicjohn2278 I second that....be careful, just because those disposable camera only run on an AA battery that capacitor holds A LOT OF JUICE!
I've made many flash units from those and I've been shocked a few times while being careless....
Bruce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Electronics help! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL