The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » False Cuts and Shuffles Project - A Review (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RCarruth
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
169 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
FALSE CUTS AND SHUFFLES PROJECT - A Review
Liam Montier and Big Blind Media

Big Blind Media has released a false cuts and shuffles 'project', taught by Liam Montier, and this is the ad copy...

"There is nothing more valuable in the card magician's arsenal than the ability to convince your audience you are shuffling the deck, when in actuality you aren't. If your spectators believe the cards are being mixed, whilst all the time you retain control of their order - then you can perform true MIRACLES! Indeed, this one skill can help transform simple self working tricks into jaw dropping slabs of IMPOSSIBILITY!

There are thousands of ways to false shuffle and cut the deck, but this project is not a cold encyclopaedic list of them. These are the A1, 24 Karat GOLD techniques that host Liam Montier has sought out and road tested on your behalf. To make the grade the featured cut or shuffle had to be practical, utterly deceptive and something YOU WOULD USE!

These powerful, deceptive skills are within the technical reach of any card handler (including some that are SO easy you could do them in your sleep!), and will have you up and running in no time.

Learning just one or two of these techniques is essential, but learning more will enable you to 'mix and match' the skills to create the unquestionable impression that you really are shuffling the pack. These are practical techniques - whether you are working walk-around magic, or sitting at a coffee table with some mates, you will be fooling them all in no time!

And at the end of the project four incredible magic tricks are also taught, so you can head out and test your new skills straight away!"

My Thoughts...

First, I agree wholeheartedly that cutting and shuffling is a vital part of magic. The ability to convince your audience you've fairly shuffled and mixed a deck is paramount to your success. I'm probably preaching to the choir here.. but I had to say it..

Liam and BBM have created a fine work for that guy who only knows a couple of cuts/shuffles. There are MANY such guys out there. I've answered their emails.. I've talked to them at meetings and conventions.. and I've seen their interest in works like this - aimed at the beginner to intermediate magi who has spent the majority of his time watching good card technicians from afar.. with admiration.

This download will not make you a superstar. It WILL make you better than 75% of the magicians out there. It will make you one of those guys other magicians turn to when they need to know a good cut or shuffle.. particularly false shuffles.

Rather than take the download apart, move by move, I'm going to summarize the moves and leave it to you what floats your boat. What I like and what you like WILL differ. Left handers will favor certain sleights or flourishes that don't appeal to me.. and vice versa. The size of your hands, your speed, your dexterity and your confidence will all influence your choices. The good thing is.. there's enough diversity that you'll find 'something'.. more than just something actually.. that appeals to you.

You WILL find moves you'll use. The skill level for most of these moves is low enough that you can't help but find a couple of good cuts and a couple of good false shuffles you can add to your repertoire this week. Most will require a night sitting in front of the TV with a deck of cards in-hand. Nothing more...

Most of these descriptions are my initial thoughts/notes... short and to-the-point.

Overview and Practice - Liam discusses how he practices and the use of tools to help with practice. This is a quickie session to give you an instant tip or two..

Overhand False Shuffle - This session includes various types of overhand false shuffles including the Dan Garrett Overhand/Underhand... very nice to watch.

The Blind Shuffle - Erdnase version of the Blind Shuffle.

The Ireland Shuffle - Good for Out of This World. Actually shuffles the cards. Good for decks set up all black/all red.

The Running Cut Shuffle - Convincing. Good for situations where you have a stacked deck and cutting the cards is OK.

About Optical Shuffles - Another brief overview to get you on the right track.

The Wiggle-Woogle Shuffle - You don't actually DO anything. Maintains original order. Only appears as if you're cutting the deck.

Optical Shuffle - Similar to wiggle-woggle except some cards are actually dropped on rear of pack.

Mike O'Dowd's Slop Shuffle - Looks good as it can be done fast. Actually only
cuts the deck once.

The Lift Shuffle - Two methods. Good for preserving a portion of the cards on top of deck.

The Jog Shuffle - Another good method for preserving a top block of cards.

Swing Cut Shuffle - Good cut using a swing cut and allows spectator to see the face of the cards as they are being run. Preserves top or bottom block of cards.

Bottom Stock Shuffle - Preserves bottom stock.

The False Riffle Shuffles - Preserves small top or bottom stock... Or both..

Push Through Shuffle - Preserves full deck order. Plus additional tips.

The Triumph Shuffle.. Dai Vernon's version.

The Charlier False Shuffle - Makes it look messy and if you couldn't possibly maintain control..

Up the Ladder - Nice on the table shuffle to preserve a full deck. Fast.

Cuts.. Including the Swing Cut and Charlier Cut. These are legit cuts, unlike the cuts below.

Bobby Bernard False Cut - Very deceptive and very easy.
Jay Ose False Cut - Simple On the Table cut.
Tarbell 3 Way False Cut - Convincing when done fast.
Royal Road False Cut - Similar to Ose cut, but slightly more involved.
Erdnase False Cut - Used by many great workers through the years. An on-the-table cut.
Frank Thompson False Cut - Used by many of todays best performers.
The Cut - Another simple cut that works.
Crane Beak False Cut - Owen Packard's design. In the hand cut that also gives you a glimpse of the top card.
John Bannon's Fly Trap Cut - Nice flourish cut. In the hand.
John Bannon's CrocoEdile Cut - Probably not something I would do, but a good cut regardless.
Gary Ouellet False Cut - Uses a swing cut in a simple manner.
Lewis Jones False Cut - Hand to Table cut with a swing cut.
David Acer's Trinary Cut - Another in-the-hand cut that's flourish y but not complicated.
Mini Sybil Cut - Uses three packets instead of the customary five.

The download ends with four effects that play well with a lay audience. You aren't necessarily going to fool a room full of magicians.. but then again, magicians probably aren't going to tip you very well either.

WEIGH Performed and Explained - Expert At The Card Table effect.

Dai Vernon's TRIUMPH Performed & Explained - Classic magic trick. This is not a simple, shortcut method.

SHOCK TREATMENT P&E - John Bannon's stalwart effect.

THINK OF A CARD P&E - Paul Curry's trick using a stack. Simple effect, but fools a lay audience every time.

I am a big fan of the basics. This download, roughly 2:15 min. long, teaches a very wide section of basics.. with a flourish. You'll be glad you bought this download. Video and sound are typical Big Blind Media. Ladies posing as the audience are typical BBM.. and very easy on the eyes... Much more enjoyable than some 'ol hard-tailed magician.

I enjoyed this download. I learned some things.. and I can't always say that about some of the DVD/downloads I've watched of late. Believe me.. time is important to me.. and the FALSE CUTS AND SHUFFLES PROJECT was time well spent..

$30.00 ..From dealers who carry the Murphy's Magic line of products..
https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=53701

Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
RCarruth
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
169 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
This download is 2:15 HOURS.. not minutes... my bad..
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » False Cuts and Shuffles Project - A Review (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL