The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Apparently impromptu gaffed or ungaffed packet trick recommendations? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
512 Posts

Profile of travisb
I am very ignorant of the world of packet tricks, but I'm currently seeking recommendations for a specific need.

The restriction for my needs is that the cards should apparently come from a normal deck, and should never change into anything that could make it seem like I don't have a normal deck. So no colour changing backs, no fan displays of all jokers (though I would accept false counts to show multiples of the same card), no overt modifications to the card faces or backs like missing angels or pips collecting in a corner of the card (though covert modifications like mispipped cards for Ultimate 3 Card Monte would be okay), etc.

I tried out Jon Allen's Double Back back in the day, and ungaffed I've used Daley's Last Trick (the Bill Duncan presentation from Tubthumping) and Vernon's Twisting The Aces, but that's about it as far as packet tricks I've actually used. I'm ignorant enough of what's out there in Packet Trick Land that I don't even know exactly where to look or how to think about where to look. So any pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Travis
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
599 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Suggest “Very Good Hand” by Phil Goldstein. It’s in Mentzer’s PACKET TRICKS booklet and in his CARD CAVALCADE FOUR. Or John Bannon’s “Duplicity”. Or Peter Kane’s “Jazz Aces”, also in Mentzer’s booklet.
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
512 Posts

Profile of travisb
Thank you, this is exactly the kind of recommendation I was hoping for! I'll see about tracking those down.

Travis
Degio
View Profile
New user
Europe
78 Posts

Profile of Degio
I recommend Phil Goldseint's Masque (it's in his book Focus) and also the classic Color Monte, performed with a Joker, an Ace of Spades and I use a Queen of Hearts as a kicker.
Both tricks use regular cards, no extra cards and are fractal (i.e. at the end everything can be examined).
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1002 Posts

Profile of mlippo
After thowing in the rubbish many packet tricks that used special cards, I am left with a very small number I actually do.

I have routined Oil & Queens (Roy Walton) followed by Modern Jazz Aces (Darwin Ortiz's handling of Peter Kane's Jazz Aces). I need to do "a little something" after the first trick, in order to be ready for the second one, of course.

Masque is also my recommendation.

As for Colour Monte, I never do it using an ordinary pack. I always take the cards from a separate envelope. This because I want to justify having two identical black cards, which I couldn't do from a pack in use. Besides I use, as climax, a blank card with "140 Euros" written on it! For me it works beautifully.

One of the most performed by me is undoubtedly Odd Quad, Daryl .... Not impromptu, since you need cards from different coloured packs, but you it's quick, visual, and you end clean. A perfect opener for me!

Mark
MGordonB
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Twins - Br John Hamman
Twisting the Aces- Vernon
Jumping Gemini -Ortiz
Jazz Aces - Ortiz
CardGuyMike
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Have fun, there are more packet tricks than you will ever be able to learn. Off the top of my head:

There are ungaffed oil and water routines (Juan Tamariz for example)
Reset and variations (Caleb Wiles' Reswindled needs a small setup, Woody Aragon's Dorset is completely impromptu)
The 8-card biddle trick (and numerous variations)
Devil's elevator (Bruce Cervon?), Harapan Ong also has an elevator effect in Principia
Follow the Leader (Lance Pierce)
In "52 Memories" Jack Parker has a bunch of packet tricks, including a fantastic trilogy that uses a double backer that is never seen
That's Not Possible, Mind Boggler - Paul Gordon
MacDonald's Aces and numerous other Ace Assemblies

Lots of resources out there in books and DVDs. Go to a magic site or lybrary.com and search for packet tricks.
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
512 Posts

Profile of travisb
This is all super helpful, thanks everyone!

Travis
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2469 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
There is a five page thread dedicated to this very topic. Skip to the end where I sum up the results.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=201
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Apparently impromptu gaffed or ungaffed packet trick recommendations? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL