The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Learning Magic on YouTube (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2019, funsway wrote:
Teaching magic and "revealing secrets" are different issues - and certainly both have ethical implications. There is always a "moral case" for any action - it is called ethics.
The example given has several logical fallacies.

So, he may even be right in his thinking, but fails to justify it here.

I am against teaching magic on YouTube and it has nothing to do with pedophiles or politics or religion.

First off, you can't each magic at all - on any media. You can possibly teach tricks and reveal methods. Secondly, revealing is not teaching. Instructing, maybe, but not teaching.

What I personally think is that ANY revealing of method or "secret" to an unknown observer is wrong.
Teach magic to known students. Mentor secrets to a known and proven student.

The real tragedy is that those "learning" from him are being exposed to tricks and not magic.
Possibly creative spirits will be forever stunted in learning powerful magic effects based on audience engagement and psychological ploys.

Sorry that you agree with him.

But, your topic heading is "learning magic on You Tube. Yet, you talk about his teaching, instructing, revealing. When does the learning come in?

I completely agree. I hate YouTube tricksters. They are NOT magicians.
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:
DaKine -

Part of the vitriol is because of the nature of effort.

If one wants to learn magic from the library, one must go to the library, find the books, and study them. There is effort required, which in a way is earning the knowledge.

Whereas on YouTube the tutorial for a trick is literally pushed at you, even if you don't want to learn it. There's literally no effort required to earn the knowledge, it's thrust upon you.

So someone could be trying to catch up on P&T Fool Us and all along the sidebar there are suggested videos that reveal the methods (frequently incorrectly, almost universally extremely poor teaching, but revealed none the less).

So on top of almost forcing secrets on people, the folks who are giving out these tutorials are also emphasizing a model of the magic world in which it's expected for magicians to reveal their secrets. All over, I don't know if the supposedly altruistic efforts outweigh the distinctly and demonstrably bad outcomes.

You are totally right Chris. These people on YouTube don't understand the art of magic and how it MUST be done. YouTube is really irritating when it comes to this stuff.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Learning Magic on YouTube (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL