The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Quality of props? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

xandermagic
View Profile
New user
Denmark
15 Posts

Profile of xandermagic
I've purchased some props lately and been very disappointed. The trick/secret recieved is great and I am so pleased with it until I see the props! Errors in craftmanship or so low quality material supplied that it really makes it impossible to perform the trick. What do you think? and do you have some favourite places to buy your magic props in good quality? regards Xander
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8170 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Did you order from a brick & mortar shop, or on line shop?
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
xandermagic
View Profile
New user
Denmark
15 Posts

Profile of xandermagic
Hi Dick, thanks for your reply.I ordered from a online store as we only have one or two physical stores here in small Denmark. It is my impression that the quality of magic props has fallen over the years?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8170 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi...I'll try to get back in a few days!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21780 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you want quality, you have to be willing to pay for quality. I agree, everything I have ordered on line shows up as junk.

There are only two places I can think of off the top of my head, Rings and Things magic metal products, and Viking Magic. Abbott's Magic if you only purchase their brand line. Everything else is drop shipped from the wholesaler.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1789 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Owen Magic Supreme has high-quality product.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8170 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'm back! I'm also very happy to note in your OP, that you bought a PROP. (You didn't say that you bought a TRICK!!! (One cannot BUY a TRICK! A TRICK, somewhat like music, only exists while it is being performed! As a 13 year old (I'm now 87)I only had library books from which I could learn tricks. Most of the tricks in the books needed props, that I had to make myself. My little "box,tube, can, pan, and red velvet bag on a stick" show required a half hour to prepare before I could perform! --and, a half hour to pack up.

I met a man from a town 60 miles away. He very kindly loaned me his TARBELL COURSE. It was only 5 volumes, then. I read, no studied Doctor Tarbell's books, and, I learned PRINCIPLES. (His patter and PRESENTATION was a bit dated. even then!) So, I began to buy GENERIC PROPS, like silks, rope cards, etc. That was in the mid '40s. My show was slowly becoming "skill oriented"! (No boxes with secret "buttons".)

At first, I was a part time professional, then became a full time pro. I retired ten years ago, after about 50 years on the road, travelling all over America. Much of my show was/is "generic" props, I did a 45 minute program in schools (Kindergarten thru High School, and some colleges. The props travel in a case 13" x 20" x 8", and the props + case weighs 22 lbs. The case "sits" on a waiter's tray stand. I need two minutes to "set" the show, and two minutes to "pack up", and, I can present it almost anywhere, I often did 3 and 4 shows a day, and drove a hundred miles to do them.

If you will learn how to perform tricks, that need simple props like rope, silks, etc., you won't have the problem of poorly made props. I was never at liberty in 50 years. Managers would contact me. I averaged 350 to 400 shows per season of 9 months.

I wrote a book about my show. It is selling all over the world. Australia, India, Europe, North America, etc.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21780 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Xandermagic, by all means contact Dick Oslund and get his book and DVD of 2 of his shows. Then absorb his material if you wish to perform parlour and stage magic for a fee.

There is a lot of good prop effect you can perform as center piece in a show, or as a finale in a show. Cannot recommend anything, as it all has to do with what you like, and will enjoy performing. Just do your research for a product before purchasing, and find out as much about the prop and effect as you can.

Being you have a couple magic shops in your area, that is a good place to get advice and see if an item is something you would like and enjoy performing. I believe you should only purchase effects that you can see will fit your personality, and a spot in your show. Magic has to be seen to be appreciated, magic that is setting in a box or trunk is not magic at all, it is just clutter.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Quality of props? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL