The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Another question about Promo Photos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

amshake
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of amshake
As I was driving to the photographer to order my wedding album (I'll be glad when that's paid for) I got to thinking about promo shots, head shots and the like. I realised.. I had NO IDEA what kinda money we are talking about for good quality promo photos from a good photographer. Can anyone give me an idea?
Magic Geek
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Be prepared to spend between $200-$350, depending upon who you go with. Additional prints will be extra.

Do a search on the Café for posts about Anne White. I hear she's great.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Ann White is probably the easiest to contact but unfortunately also the most used.

As photography major and 20 years of newspaper I am little picky. Ann's photos of me were ok but I did not think great. I want a little more artistic lighting and such.

Having said that there are lots of theatrical type photographers out there. As to see their portfolio of things they have taken. Compare them to things you see in the real world of marketing for magic and go from there.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Try using the photography department at high schools and junior colleges. They always have assignments that need to be done. Some of them actually have decent portrait facilities. It does help if you know something about photography yourself and know what you are looking for. Supply the film and get them to sign a release and the photos belong to you. Now you can get them duped at the houses that specialize in this and you are not held hostage over the initial work.

Just my opinion.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
triadsong
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
170 Posts

Profile of triadsong
That's a nice idea, Martin, thanks.

I would second the ideas you already have and tell you to keep looking. Did you ask your wedding photographer for his other experience or a reference?
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I'm glad Richard mentioned that Anne White's photos were just okay, in his opinion. I've thought for a long time that she's way over-rated.

I've seen her photo-ads in MAGIC and have always thought the picture were average. Most didn't really say much to me; they weren't bad - I just don't understand why the big fuss over her. It seems that so many of her photos are simply a performer standing there with his/her props in hand.

I know practically nothing about the technical aspect of photography, but I do know what I like. I agree with Richard - I like a bit more art in photos than Anne White provides.

Anybody else have thoughts on this?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5004 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I recently had a set of promo's taken at my local mall. Sounds iffy but the results were what I was looking for. I spent 2 hours on a set with the photographer and chose, with her help, what poses I wanted. Some were action photo's with my doves, some with props in hand and others just shots of me in my tux. After the shoot, I was able to pick any or all of the 30 poses. I chose 5 of the what I thought were the best, got 2 8x10's 4 4x6 and 6 wallet size photos as well as the disk to print my own copies. After the optional touch up to remove wrinkles and minor touch ups, the final cost to me was $350. As a part time performer not out making a living at it, this was a perfect solution for me.

I think it all depends on what we're using the photo's for. We're not out looking for modeling jobs so crystal clear stand out photo's may not be necessary. In my case, the photo's were clear, sharp and portrayed me as a magician. It's what I wanted so paying the cost of an "Anne White" or similar session wasn't necessary.
Where the magic begins
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2107 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Mine were free!!
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2030 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Rates as well as quality can vary quite a bit. One source for photographers is at:

http://www.asmp.org/index.php

You can search for a photographer in your area, and go to that photographer's web site to see their work. Obviously Google will lead you to a zillion people too. I make my living as a photographer (http://www.newberryphotography.com), mainly with editorial work (magazines and the like). I occasionally do actor's headshots for $250ish. (didn't intend this as a plug...sorry) In my opinion, I don't think you need to go to a publicity or headshot photographer per se; I would suggest finding someone who is doing work that you like, who is original. That way you'll avoid having generic shots that look like everyone else's. But of course I'm biased.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
At my wedding, I had the photography shoot a few promo shots. I already had a tux and was already paying the photographer.

So it didn't cost me much extra, and the quality was great.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
365 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
I found a photographer whose work I really respected and she did a great job of giving me the type of pictures I wanted. I am due to update my shots and will definitely use her services again.

I have not been that impressed with Anne White based on her ads in Magic. None of the photos are very interesting. Though I do think she has been good at marketing herself to magicians.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7382 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Bill -

Anne White's book (I think it is called "Camera Magic") had lots of good advice about promo photos, even if you don't use her as your photographer.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
This is a bit off-topic, but I'm hoping someone can answer this for me. I just got braces on my teeth this week (not the invisible, but the silver, very noticeable kind). I have been thinking about going to a commercial photographer to have some shots done - is it easy (and inexpensive) for a photographer to take out the braces via airbrush or whatever?

Ron
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2030 Posts

Profile of jimtron
It shouldn't be too hard to do digitally with Photoshop. It will make things easier if they shoot digitally, but of course the negatives or prints can be scanned.
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Quote:
On 2004-07-08 23:40, Ron Reid wrote:
This is a bit off-topic, but I'm hoping someone can answer this for me. I just got braces on my teeth this week (not the invisible, but the silver, very noticeable kind). I have been thinking about going to a commercial photographer to have some shots done - is it easy (and inexpensive) for a photographer to take out the braces via airbrush or whatever?

Ron

Definitely use Photoshop - but get a pro to do it as seemless retouching is tricky.
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Thanks for the help, guys! I will definitely take your advice.

Ron
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
738 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
I shoot headshots and would be glad to offer any advice. You can also see some tips I have posted at:

http://scottgrossberg.tripod.com/headshots.htm

- Scott Grossberg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Another question about Promo Photos (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL