We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » David Blaine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
I think you cant compare vernon to blaine. They are 2 different people who brought 2 different things to magic. Vernon of course, made up half the stuff a lot of us magicians do. If you ask laymen who they have heard of, I'm sure they will say blaine. Laymen don't know about people like vernon. Its like this, if you ask anyone who Copperfield is, they most likely will know. Even if they don't do magic or really like magic, they know who he is. Take Ammar for instance. You ask a layment about him and they never heard of him, even though he is one of the greats. People know blaine because of his specials on tv. That doesn't mean the vernon isn't the man. There is no way to compare vernon to blaine. Its sort of like comparing McBride, to lets say Asher. They are both very skilled and highly known magicians, but there styles, attitudes, performance, tricks, ect are all completly different. As for blainewannabe, of course you don't know vernon, otherwise you wouldnt of made such a bold, and silly statement as you did. No magician has the right to diss on vernon. Especially ones who havent contributed anything to the art of magic, as I'm sure you havent. Blainewannabe, Next time you post something about someone you know nothing about, you may want to think how you word yourself.
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
marmaduke
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of marmaduke
I get a feeling that this thread is going to be locked again any minute.
Or even worse evaporarate.
Poor old Frank will disappear again.
This is what happens when I try to bring an intellectual bearing upon the subject.

Let us just assume that Blaine Wannabee is an ardent fan and let us leave it at that.

Any moment now I expect to see a new poster called Vernon Wannabee protesting about the matter.
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
BlaineWannaBe is someones idea of a joke. It is a rynning gag. However, it is not too funny. So could you please stop it because people who do not know that you are merely messing with them will continue to contribute to your meaningless comments. And this can continue to ad nauseum.

Yes it was almost funny for a while, but please stop it.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Ok, I'll admit it. Blaine Rulz!

Hey, I feel better now.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1214 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
I actually met a person last night that said that he was getting back into magic again because he thought it would be fun to do magic the way DB does it - by which he meant - just approaching people in the street and showing them things. To each their own...
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
marmaduke
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of marmaduke
Approaching people in the street offering to do magic tricks will get instant attention and respect providing you have in tow a camera crew. People notice camera crews.

Approaching people in the street offfering to do magic tricks without a camera crew may garner a different reaction. They could think you are a panhandler or perhaps a refugee from a mental hospital.

Yes you will get reaction all right.
At best ignored, at worst arrested.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Jerry Sadowitz: Blainewatch
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Please move this topic to the Blaine Rulz section.
BlaineWannaBe
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of BlaineWannaBe
Quote:
On 2004-05-21 16:14, marmaduke wrote:
Approaching people in the street offering to do magic tricks will get instant attention and respect providing you have in tow a camera crew. People notice camera crews.

Approaching people in the street offfering to do magic tricks without a camera crew may garner a different reaction. They could think you are a panhandler or perhaps a refugee from a mental hospital.

Yes you will get reaction all right.
At best ignored, at worst arrested.

Wow so much for all the street wrkers out there. LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Buskers (street performers) don't chase after their audience nor do they resort to intrusive ambush performances. They attract a crowd, and if the audience is pleased they may get something in their hat.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I think the comment about having a camera crew with you is right on.

Just think. If you were approched by someone with a camera crew in tow, you would KNOW this is something special, something on the up and up. At least, that's what most people would think. The cameras make it look "official".

Most of us can't do that, though. Most of us on the streets trying to approach strangers will get funny looks. If they even look at us at all.
Remember in the Blaine special, where he approached one person and asked them if he could show them something, and they ran away like a scared little chicken, like they expected to be raped or something.

That is called leting fear rule your life. Scared little chicken runs away. 'Buck, buck, buck!!"

Or, another way of saying iot is: "Scared little turtle goes into his shell to hide from the bad evil magician." "Please don't hurt me Mr magician! I"m not ready to die yet! " "Wanh!"
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Some great points are made here. It IS impossible to compare Blaine to somebody like Vernon or Marlo. There is a different type of dedication that sets them apart. Which makes me think what a shame it is that laymen don't know their names. In fact, the few magicians that laymen could name are decidely not the ones we would call innovators. That's a rather strange phenomenon.

What's even sadder is the amount of new-schoolers who walk around claiming they are magicians that don't know the names of these great innovators either. When I first started out, I had no idea how deep the history of this craft went. As I read more on the history of magic the more my love for it deepened.

Wouldn't it be great if when newbies walked into a magic shop to buy some D'Lites and a biting quarter, they also had to purchase and read Phantoms of the Card Table? Ahhhh...
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Daffy doug...the reason the person ran away is because David Blaine asked the person if they wanted to see something that Transcends the mind. that's something a person like Charles Manson would say. I would run too!

Anybody ever see that movie "I'm gonna get you sucka"? All of the pimps had theme songs. I think all magicians should have theme songs!!! that way when you hear some funky music coming your way, you know it's a magician. And it's even better if he's got a camera crew and a theme song...that means he's really legit.

Maybe street performers can have bikini clad assistants. That's a sure fire way to attract attention and gather a crowd. Then you are truly legit....so the magic combo is....Theme song + Camera crew + bikini clad assistant = super bad ass magician
marmaduke
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of marmaduke
I am not talking about street buskers. There is a marked difference between a professional street magician who does magic for money and a magician who does magic in the street by approaching strangers for no reason except youthful enthusiasm and because they saw David Blaine do it on television.

This is the category for Blaine wannabees. The Side Walk shuffle is the category for street beg...artists.

David Blaine has never been a street busker. He has been a magician who approached people in the street with a camera crew for the purpose of selling the results to network TV.

I am amazed that nobody has realised that the reason people paid attention to him in the first place is because of the camera crew. If you approach people cold on your own you will get strange looks.

On the other hand I did magic everywhere and anywhere when I was younger. On buses, in parks, in bowling alleys, on street corners and so on. I did it for no money whatever. I did it for art's sake and because I loved it. I also did it to become good.

However I never once approached people. I did things to make them approach me. I found a place to sit down such as a hotel lobby or a park bench. I would either toy with a deck of cards pretending to be studying a book on magic or I would be absently doing a coin roll at supersonic speed. Someone would sooner or later ask me what I was doing and I was away. A crowd would often gather and I remember once in a bowling alley in Stamford Hill, London hearing a tannoy announcement thus "would the gentleman from the Magic Circle kindly refrain from doing card tricks for a little while. We want people to do some bowling"

I wasn't even a member of the bloody Magic Circle.

Those were the days. The folly of youth.

If I am in the mood later I will detail the most effective procedure I used to get attention.

No camera crew either.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I can settle the Blaine vs. Vernon debate. I'll be willing to bet that that Vernon fellah never sat in a plastic box for over a month ! Heck, Vernon probably never even bit a quarter in half.

Now we know who the better magician is. LOL
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
"That Vernon fellah"

Let me guess, you never heard of him either. For your info ibd1mon99, vernon made up a lot of what magic is today. Did blaine do that. No he made a few tv shows and got his name big. I think blaine is a great man for what he made of himself and the name he made. When it comes to someone who invented basicly half of the magic we all do today, and someone who made a few specials, there is nothing to compare to. Yea, I give blaine a lot of credit for staying in the ice, and on the pole, ect. It would be hard for anyone to do, not to mention boring as can be. The hours would feel like days. That doesn't mean he is better then the Proffesor. When it comes down to it that means Copperfield is 100 times the better magician, because he has performed all over the world and had tv specials way out numbering blaines 3. Copperfield has had many, many times more specials on tv. Not to mention being on tv while blaine was still in diapers. If you want to find out. Why don't you post a topic about who is better, blaine or the proffesor. Then let the great magic people who actually know what they are talking about put there 2 cents in.
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
TerryLam
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of TerryLam
I can't imagine there are people thinking Blaine is better than Vernon...
Thus, it is a post from the forum of magic lover and magician. I am really surprise.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Chris, I hope you didn't take my post seriously. There is no way to compare the genius of The Professor to a someone who uses $10 dollar props and some not so great sleight of hand.

Without Dai Vernon, there would be no Blaines, or Blaine wannabes.

Jeff

P.S. I know quite a bit about The Professor. I've had a love for magic since before Blaine was a twinkle in his daddys eyes.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
People, this thread has nothing to do with whether anyone is better than anyone. And the one person who did say that Blaine was better than Vernon is probably about 14 years old. Give or take.

Some of you are getting oddly defensive.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
They get even more defensive when reminded that Dai Vernon was not a working performer for laymen. And they go quite 'oddly' defensive when reminded the guy loved the elegance of magic more than the effect it has upon lay audiences.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » David Blaine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.45 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL