The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Magicians are weird (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Malco
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Steve Malco
I was taking a walk with my SO earlier this evening while having a conversation about Extraterrestrials (we had only finished watching 'Bob Lazar: Area 51 & Flying Saucers' documentary on Netflix) and the thought occurred - How would I explain magic/sleight of hand to an Alien from outer space? I began speaking out loud as if I really was trying to communicate it to beings not of our planet and the more I spoke the more ridiculous magic/sleight of hand seemed even to myself in a comical way.

Think about it.

Musicians, Athletes, Ballet dancers, Painters, etc; practice thousands of hours over the course of many years to hone their abilities to become world class at what they do.

They show off their hard work and bask in the accolades, praises. monetary gain and ATTENTION. All but one of these professions need to be seen to be appreciated and for their hard work to be worth the effort.

Magicians? We also practice thousands of hours over many years to hone our abilities so they will NEVER be seen!

If you didn't know anything about sleight of hand and had this conversation with someone:

Magician: "I've been working on my bottom deal."

You: "What's a bottom deal?"

Magician: "It's a technique in which the bottom card from a deck of playing cards is dealt instead of the top card and I've dedicated the last 2 and a half years and 3000 hours developing it."

You: "Why?"

Magician: "So nobody can see me do it."

You would look at them like they were a Psycho and that's just one example of many. LOL!

We're practicing a very beautiful and very strange art. No?
Happiness is having a rare steak, a bottle of whisky, and a dog to eat the rare steak. -Johnny Carson
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Regular user
Randolph NJ
141 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Magicians are weird for a lot more reasons than just that! That's OK, who wants to be "normal" and boring?
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2097 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Basketball players don't practice for thousands of hours to show you their form. They practice for thousands of hours to get the ball in the net.

Artists aren't showing you their brush technique - they're showing you the pictures they painted with those brush techniques.

Puppeteers work to minimize their visual/psychological presence when performing, because the desired end result is the puppets enacting a story.

Actors are not showing the process they use to inhabit a character, you're just seeing the character.

Focusing on the sleights is focusing on the tools, not the desired end result. No weirder than any other craftsman, I'd say.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Magicians are weird (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL