The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Instantaneous or No-get-ready DLs (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2019, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Https://youtu.be/MtivFz_fYjc

Brother Hamman would be extremely proud of you, magicfish! You do it perfectly.

It should be noted that the DD Double, which I think refers to the Double Lift which is published in The Complete Works of Derek Dingle, is actually Ken Krenzel's (and he published it first). Dingle only developed that lift to use when working for magicians, because the Gordon Double Lift was a very tight secret at the time and he could not use it when working for magicians.

I've never cared for for Martin Nash's lift where you hit the corner of one card and push it in line with the second card before the turnover.

There will be some interesting multiple lift techniques in "Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy."

Thank you very much Richard. I owe it to your excellent description and illustrations.
I very much look forward to the new Jennings book and you can expect an order from me the day it is available.
Thank you for the insight on the DD Double.
magicwiia
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of magicwiia
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2019, JasonEngland wrote:
No, but there is a corrective action applied after the initial push of the top 2 or 3 cards. That corrective action causes the same sort of hiccup in the rhythm of the DL/DT that other versions have. Most of those "clarifying pauses" occur before the DL begins - either by a pinky count, thumb count, spread and close action, or by feeling for 2 cards at the right long edge. But a few, namely the Nash-style and Hamman style turnovers, begin the physical action first, then isolate the double and continue turning/dragging/pivoting.

It's that clarifying isolation moment, even if it takes only a half-second and regardless of whether it happens before or during the main DL action, that stands out to other magicians. I'm willing to admit that perhaps "get ready" isn't the most accurate term, since that implies something that happened before the main DL action. Perhaps "clarifying action" or "isolation action" are better?uote]

Jason

PS: If memory serves, the Hamman DL does utilize a bevel - so that could be considered a "get ready" in the truer sense of the word.

Jason - you mention in your last paragraph that even if the clarifying isolation moment takes only half-second, it stands out to other magicians. Would the non-magician spectator be likely to pick up on that half-second hitch or sense some is amiss?
Kevin Janise
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Kevin Janise
I use the instant double technique described in "The Secrets of Brother John Hamman" by Richard Kaufman. You can find it on page 11 with the title "Instant Double and Triple Turnover Technique".
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
The very one we're discussing and the one shown above, Kevin.
Always nice to hear appreciation of Bro. Hamman's work.
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1652 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2019, magicwiia wrote:
Jason - you mention in your last paragraph that even if the clarifying isolation moment takes only half-second, it stands out to other magicians. Would the non-magician spectator be likely to pick up on that half-second hitch or sense some is amiss?

As a general rule, no. Seeing something, and understanding what you're seeing, are two different things. For the most part, a micro-pause isn't enough to set off alarms in a non-magician's head, since they lack the understanding to know that the action (or hesitation, or whatever) was suspicious.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
If you feel lazy sometime, you can always use a thick card. Effortless strike doubles, triples and quadruples with no percievable get ready ('cause there is none)
Nota Bene: I am not in any way saying that one shouldn´t learn a proper DL, of course one should, but this technique is to good to not use at times!

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Instantaneous or No-get-ready DLs (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL