The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPealing or APPalling? » » The Stranger (iPhone App) by Jonathan Levit (66 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..21~22~23 [Next]
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2020, Nathan Alexander wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2020, rosariorose9 wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2020, Nathan Alexander wrote:
Hey guys, if you're an Android user, check your emails if you signed up to be notified. This will be out soon, and this week you can get a great discount to order it now. Jump on board, I did. Smile

Thanks for the heads up, Nathan! Waiting to hear if my Pixel 2XL will be supported, since it is not on the list.

Yeah my Samsung Note 9 wasn't either, so I put other and paid. I can't foresee it being a problem. By the way, I LOVED my Pixel 2XL. Good phone. You could just go for it, I'll bet it's fine? Maybe Jonathan will have more input.

Howdy! We are looking at the top phones across the spectrum and working toward those screens. I will have a more complete list soon. The list you encountered on the site was a subsampling of devices, which is why I ask for your device model in the "Other" section. I'm compiling data from users so that I can work to accommodate as many folks as possible.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
See? No excuse! Now you have to jump on board! Smile
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2020, Nathan Alexander wrote:
See? No excuse! Now you have to jump on board! Smile

You twisted my arm, Nathan. Smile Just sent my info and purchased it. Now for the waiting....
By the way, I love my Pixel 2XL. Am ready to purchase a new Pixel, but the 3's and 4's just don't 'do it' for me. Hopefully the 5 (next October?) will be more impressive.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Nice! We'll be joining the throngs of happy buyers on Facebook soon, too. Gonna be fun. And yeah, the 2XL is still better than the 3 or 4 in my opinion. I'm waiting for the 5 as well. Smile
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2020, Nathan Alexander wrote:
Nice! We'll be joining the throngs of happy buyers on Facebook soon, too. Gonna be fun. And yeah, the 2XL is still better than the 3 or 4 in my opinion. I'm waiting for the 5 as well. Smile

Indeed! Plan to use this with my DMC Elites, for an added layer of deception.
mpilkey
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of mpilkey
A friend of mine has this. I wish I had gotten it at the introduction price. $150
Is a lot for something I may not use very often (my fault, not the tricks)
SIRIously Mental available from me directly

Mike@chattanoogamagic.com
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2020, mpilkey wrote:
A friend of mine has this. I wish I had gotten it at the introduction price. $150
Is a lot for something I may not use very often (my fault, not the tricks)

Really? That’s me out then. Too much for a hobbyist.
MonsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of MonsterMagic
It may be expensive, but I've been using it at every opportunity - close-up and stage. I just love doing it and the reactions can be amazing, worth every penny for me.
Joaquin
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of Joaquin
So can you just setup a code system with the stranger that when you call and start the conversation you tell them the selected card? I believe there is already a method in one of Dan Harlands DVD

Unfortunately every time you perform an effect with an iphone the first thing people think it is that is an app.

Magic is the impossible . Electronic Technology makes it possible
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2020, Joaquin wrote:
So can you just setup a code system with the stranger that when you call and start the conversation you tell them the selected card? I believe there is already a method in one of Dan Harlands DVD

Unfortunately every time you perform an effect with an iphone the first thing people think it is that is an app.

You can absolutely setup a code system. I also give you one in the instructional videos. Or you can unlock the texting feature that will automatically send a text message to the person you are calling, with the name of the selected card. It's totally seamless. The structure of this routine is such that the assumption that you are using an app is eliminated.
Christian de Punto
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
174 Posts

Profile of Christian de Punto
In general I agree with you, electronics are always an "explanation" for the audiance, even if they have no idea how it worked. because we are used that our mobiles are doing unexplainable things every day for us. that is the reason I always say to keep the phones out of view doing app-supported magic. because using a phone in combination with a rubiks-cube or to choose a name of an actor makes no sense. it is not a "natural combination".
it is funny that here are long discussions about using a coaster and a glass together than when it is about mobilephones. why the fu** I should use a phone to find a selected card when the toy car was so much cuter...? nevermind. I just do not like unlogical stuffs in tricks.
but with the stranger it is different. it is totally natural to use a phone to call somebody. and it is normal to to use the magicians phone to not expose the spectators number to a unknown person. so the use of a phone is a logic element of the trick.
just tree more things I find important:
1. the spectators must be sure that they choose the number
2. the audiance must not know the whole number. for example let the stage-spectator type in the last two digits without saying after the first digits were choosen by talking out loud by the audiance.
3. do not talk!!! like this you proof its no coding. and I think it is much more fun to see the (bit shy and ashame) spectator explaining the situation... ;-)

Quote:

novasteeple
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of novasteeple
Quote:
So can you just setup a code system with the stranger that when you call and start the conversation you tell them the selected card?

Codes are great when you're always working with the same partner, but The Stranger leverages a growing community of people available to be your partner without needing to learn anything. Also, The Stranger lets you communicate the selection behind the scenes, so you could actually have the spectator do 100% of the talking to eliminate any possibility you were talking in code.
MagieLucas
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
93 Posts

Profile of MagieLucas
A friend showed me this and it looks good but does not work with my region yet
I already have diverter from marc kristen I bought it years ago same effect and it works fine for me. Is it this the same thing??? Shall I wait.??
TrentonCaine
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of TrentonCaine
Quote:

I've performed this in front of the same clients but different groups all together, and I've had my client tell me that their speculation on how the trick was done was through code, however, they then told me that the way they thought the trick had been done I had proved them wrong again as the trick this time went completely different.
<b>
In other words: I'm saying that <u>this is not</u> an 'unfortunately every-time you perform an effect with an Iphone the first thing...' </B>

type of trick because its not an effect with an Iphone, its a full-blown audience dials digit- = call some complete stranger action. As in it doesn't come off that way because the performer presents it as what it is- calling a random number + its an effect with the whole audience.. It's interactive with the audience participation, and the verbal language is so ambiguous in presentation that it takes the entire notion of 'an app' out of the minds.

This is some pretty powerful stuff. Fortunately, who ever uses this becomes apart of an sustainable club- truly a bunch of strangers all working together. A true symbol of unity that ripples down into the audience sensory experience because magic is the impossible.
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of SimonTheSorcerer
Any info about the android release date?
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Yes. I am hoping I can do this next Saturday. Please say it's in a few days.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
jugagien
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of jugagien
Any update Jon?? Hope we're not being ghosted...
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2020, jugagien wrote:

Not at all! I’m on my way to black pool. All is good. I actually have the app on my android device! Development is moving along beautifully!
no2ss
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1027 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2020, jlevit wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2020, jugagien wrote:

Not at all! I’m on my way to black pool. All is good. I actually have the app on my android device! Development is moving along beautifully!

Bah. I'd been avoiding this thread since the title said it was iPhone only... but just caught up and the page for Android is now gone. Is it still possible to get in on the early bird?
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Yes. You can find it at thestrangerapp.com/Android
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPealing or APPalling? » » The Stranger (iPhone App) by Jonathan Levit (66 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL