The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Sankey's "Exit Strategy" -- doesn't work!? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
I was trying Jay Sankey's "Exit Strategy". It's in The Definitive Sankey, Volume 2, page 848. It's also on his DVD called "Hardcore" (which I don't own).

It's a two part routine in which a borrowed ring penetrates two regular straws.

The first half of the routine works just fine, but it's the second half that appears to just be written incorrectly. The offending text begins on page 850. Maybe I'm wrapping the straws wrong... but I just cannot imagine how the straws are supposed to separate. I tried it several time and I can't get it. If anyone knows, feel free to tell me to move this to Secret Sessions, PM me, or post here if you're not exposing anything.

Thanks to anyone who can help!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2600 Posts

Profile of John Long
R2D2:

It does work, but I think I know the point at which the directions lack specificity for you.

1) start by doing this w/o a ring; just 2 straws
2) When you get to the move that takes you from fig 11 to fig 12
when you start to wrap the horizontal straw around the vertical straw, after 180 deg rotation you will get to a picture like fig 12, but DON't stop there, keep going in that same direction an additional 360 deg

while holding the vertical straw's ends in the left hand, and the horizontal's straw in the right hand, you should be able to pull the straws apart (but it helps to push the 2 straws together then pull apart (and repeat as necessary). This helps to untangle the two)

If you have Sankey's Amazing Magic Tricks Anyone Can Do, this basic move is described in the video, which makes it easier.

John
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! Unfortunately that still didn't do it. I feel like I'm missing something very fundamental here. I even tried it with two long balloons (just in case the stiffness of the straws was the issue).

Maybe I'm doing the previous step wrong. I start with the vertical straw further away from me. Then I grab the bottom of it, bring it towards myself, over the top, and then back around the front. So the bottom end travels a full 360 degrees, ends up where it started, but it's now wrapped around the horizontal straw. Is that the right thing to do? It's very tough to tell from figure 10!
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
John Long was kind enough to look at a video of me doing the moves and was able to spot the error. I really appreciate that (thanks John!) and as a favor to some person who will find this thread through the search feature 8 years from now, I'd like to document the correction to the text.

At the bottom of page 850 in The Definitive Sankey volume 2 ("Exit Strategy"), the author says to grab the horizontal straw on the left side. So far, so good. But the text goes on to say that you should move the end away from your body; in fact you need to move it towards your body. So if you were on the ceiling looking down, you'd see the left horizontal piece move counter-clockwise.

The text implies that you should stop after half a rotation; in fact you need to wrap it around 1 1/2 times (540 degrees). So it still ends up on the right side, but after you do the move in the text (moving it 180 degrees), you need to keep going another full rotation.

That should do it.
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
611 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
That John Long guy is super nice, and it seems he knows EVERYTHING. We are lucky to have guys like him on the Café.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Sankey's "Exit Strategy" -- doesn't work!? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL