The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello from York, UK (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brendan
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Brendan
Hi All,

I’ve been interested in magic for almost 27 years and I’ve been performing for the majority of that time for friends, family and strangers. I perform both magic and mentalism, although I do try to keep the two separate. I’m probably just like the majority of magicians in the Café - I have a drawer full of magic that’s impractical and unusable in the real world, I have large collection of expensive books, with thousands of effects yet my go to repertoire when put on the spot is whatever I’m currently working on, an ambitious card routine or a billet peek 😂

I’ve been with you all for a long time, although lurking in the background like some sort of creepy cyber poltergeist. The reviews and conversations here have provided me with an invaluable amount of advice over the years yet I haven’t involved myself in the discussions to date. It’s never too late though and I hope I can provide meaningful and helpful contributions going forward.

Kind Regards

Brendan
Steve Malco
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Steve Malco
Welcome, Brendan.

Have fun!

—Steve
Happiness is having a rare steak, a bottle of whisky, and a dog to eat the rare steak. -Johnny Carson
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Brendan,

I lurked for quite a while myself. Reading for a while can help you avoid unproductive threads.

It is not too surprising that we all run into impractical Magic props. What is weird is that we continue to hoard them. You could practically do a mental reading on any Magician saying " You have a drawer filled with poor Magic purchases".

By the way, I'd be glad if mine were just a drawer. Good for you.

- Mary Mowder
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Hi Brendan,
welcome ... I understand completely where you are coming from.
Magic is intriguing, and the impulse to buy can be overwhelming.

Consequently - as we all know - you can get "bitten by the magic purchase bug" very easily, having become to the "thirst for knowledge".
Unfortunately as you know, this can result in disappointment, and questioning your choice of magic interest direction.

For what it is worth ... after 40+ years of performing, I too, am sore from disappointing purchases.
However, from that experience, I have my arsenal of impromptu card, coin, and mentalism routines which I still perform, aged 68.

From what you say, if you perform an ambitious card routine, it sounds like you have card control under your belt ... way to go Brendan.

wulfie - from Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Brendan!

"Youse aint got no drawer full of magic"! Magic only exists in the mind(s) of the spectator(s)!

Also, your expensive books "aint got no" effects in them! Effects are what the spectator(s) perceive!

You have a drawer full of props, not tricks. Tricks only exist while they are being performed!

As a "colonist", I did not use the "Queen's English", but, I hope that I made my points clearly!

In 1938, I was 8 years old, and got interested in magic. In 1945, I did my first show in the local Junior high School, when I was 13. (I made $24.} I've been performing since, all over the USA. (I'm mow 87. and retired from show business.

Welcome to the Café.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello from York, UK (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL