The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Hook by Eric Ross (71 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15 [Next]
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
At the beginning the first buyers were snubbed, then buyer promises were broken “limited” and in the end the explanation video was withdrawn from all buyers (which could not even be downloaded).
I hope this thread stays a memorial here.
Lost Art Magic says it all, doesn't it. Completely lost. Money lost.
Psychiac
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Psychiac
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2022, Psychiac wrote:
DO NOT BUY. I bought the last copy from my long-time dealer and. sadly, ran into the same lack of instructions when visiting the included URL. If I'm able to get any leads or help on this I'll plan to post. This reinforces my fandom of the days when even the humblest of purchased effects might have its own DVD (or a sheet of paper with writing on it). "Lost" Art Magic...

Unfortunately my brain cells have deteriorated to the point that any faith in me working this out on my own is misplaced. That, plus some self-interested paranoia.

However, FYI - I was able to communicate about this successfully. The instructions have now been posted by Murphy's on their site. The password is different than what came with my purchase, and the video is now also downloadable (all confirmed).

For safety's sake, is there an ethical process for vetting and getting this information to any brothers or sisters who actually own the kit?
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
596 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Glad to hear that Murphy's is hosting the instructions now. As for letting customers know where the instructions are now available, hopefully shops that sold this in the past know to direct customers to Murphy's if asked.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2022, Psychiac wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2022, Psychiac wrote:
DO NOT BUY. I bought the last copy from my long-time dealer and. sadly, ran into the same lack of instructions when visiting the included URL. If I'm able to get any leads or help on this I'll plan to post. This reinforces my fandom of the days when even the humblest of purchased effects might have its own DVD (or a sheet of paper with writing on it). "Lost" Art Magic...

Unfortunately my brain cells have deteriorated to the point that any faith in me working this out on my own is misplaced. That, plus some self-interested paranoia.

However, FYI - I was able to communicate about this successfully. The instructions have now been posted by Murphy's on their site. The password is different than what came with my purchase, and the video is now also downloadable (all confirmed).

For safety's sake, is there an ethical process for vetting and getting this information to any brothers or sisters who actually own the kit?

Good news! Thank you.
trickster41uk
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of trickster41uk
Just contacted Merchant of Magic in the UK where I purchased Hook,within the hour they sent me link to Murphys. Great service
Psychiac
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Psychiac
Having great fun with the horrorshow reactions this gets! Attentive spectators cringing uncontrollably, utterly astonished and confused at the free choices, perceived risk and outcome. I'd love to hear of or find any other effects with the same contrast between safety and perception that mentally disable the audience on such a primal level.

With Murphy's taking care of us with the instructions restored, I'm changing this to a BUY if you think you'll get the same mischievous kick out of something different in your ambush mentalism.

(I'm too chicken to do spike in hand-type stuff after seeing that newscaster impale themselves live on the air; I forget where or when)
Isper
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of Isper
A similar effect is Morgan Strebler's Razor's Edge. Similar to hooked, but with a razor blade in the hand.
Psychiac
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Psychiac
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2022, Isper wrote:
A similar effect is Morgan Strebler's Razor's Edge. Similar to hooked, but with a razor blade in the hand.

Thanks for the tip! Strebler played the perfect psycho in the promo trailer. Hilarious! Smile
Skeleton
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
318 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
Hmm, I couldn't find it on Murphy's Magic Site?

And even if so, unfortunately I can't remember where I bought it and do no longer have the receipt, so they probably would not let me have access to the video anyhow?
To infinity, and beyond!
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
596 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Looks like Penguin Magic picked up the rights for this and have it available again. https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/18522
upnxrawk
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of upnxrawk
Quote:
On May 9, 2023, trickyat86 wrote:
Looks like Penguin Magic picked up the rights for this and have it available again. https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/18522

Stinks that those of us who purchased it originally won't get the extra video instructions.
Billy
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On May 10, 2023, upnxrawk wrote:
Quote:

Stinks that those of us who purchased it originally won't get the extra video instructions.

Yes but do you really need the instructions? I don't know what more they could add to the instructions. You can't patter after sticking the hook and lines in your mouth. All you need is a little patter before you perform the trick.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
DaltonWayne_
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of DaltonWayne_
Quote:
On May 10, 2023, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On May 10, 2023, upnxrawk wrote:
Quote:

Yes but do you really need the instructions? I don't know what more they could add to the instructions. You can't patter after sticking the hook and lines in your mouth. All you need is a little patter before you perform the trick.

The new instructional video contains almost an hour of detail explanation, additional performance ideas and theory. Some really great stuff to get your gears going. Plus full live performances.
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
596 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Would be nice if Penguin offered a instructions option for this at a lesser price (like they do for Paul Vigil's CBS). I've had this since the initial Lost Art release and have a decent presentation for it, but I'm always open for more ideas and theories.
Avocat
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Avocat
I don't have this but just ordered one

I'm considering this as a presentation: I start out with the strings hanging out of my mouth

After all the strings have been pulled but the last, only then do I reveal the hook

I did something similar with Shattered -- I'd smash the bags against myself and only reveal the broken bottle in the final bag afterwards

Similarly, I performed an opener with Osterlind's Stainless Steel Blindfold, then take it off to show the bandages on my eyes underneath
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Quote:
On May 10, 2023, trickyat86 wrote:
Would be nice if Penguin offered an instructions option for this at a lesser price (like they do for Paul Vigil's CBS). I've had this since the initial Lost Art release and have a decent presentation for it, but I'm always open for more ideas and theories.

It’s only 25 bucks. I paid 100 when it 1st released.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Quote:
On May 10, 2023, Avocat wrote:
I don't have this but just ordered one

I'm considering this as a presentation: I start out with the strings hanging out of my mouth

After all the strings have been pulled but the last, only then do I reveal the hook

I did something similar with Shattered -- I'd smash the bags against myself and only reveal the broken bottle in the final bag afterwards

Similarly, I performed an opener with Osterlind's Stainless Steel Blindfold, then take it off to show the bandages on my eyes underneath

This is exactly how the original instructions tell you how to perform.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
IMO, you will lose a lot of entertainment value by starting this effect with the strings in your mouth and the audience not having a clue as to what's exactly in your mouth and why you have strings in your mouth. The sheer anxiety and suspense this routine brings is due to the audience knowing what you are going to try and accomplish. You can get suspense with each string that is pulled and actually see the audience wince/cringe when each string is pulled. OR you can have them just watch you pull strings out of your mouth until you show the last string that had a hook on it and get one moment of reaction from your audience. I like having reactions and suspense throughout the whole routine rather than 1 single moment. A routine such as this is meant to create suspense and anxiety which will only be accomplished when the audience knows exactly what's happening from the beginning.

Of course, just my opinion.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
David Klass
View Profile
Inner circle
Beckenham, England
1204 Posts

Profile of David Klass
Quote:
On May 11, 2023, RNK wrote:
IMO, you will lose a lot of entertainment value by starting this effect with the strings in your mouth and the audience not having a clue as to what's exactly in your mouth and why you have strings in your mouth. The sheer anxiety and suspense this routine brings is due to the audience knowing what you are going to try and accomplish. You can get suspense with each string that is pulled and actually see the audience wince/cringe when each string is pulled. OR you can have them just watch you pull strings out of your mouth until you show the last string that had a hook on it and get one moment of reaction from your audience. I like having reactions and suspense throughout the whole routine rather than 1 single moment. A routine such as this is meant to create suspense and anxiety which will only be accomplished when the audience knows exactly what's happening from the beginning.

Of course, just my opinion.

100% agree. The suspense and uncomfortable feeling each time a string is pulled is what makes this routine so strong.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Sure I paid either £100 or £75 for this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Hook by Eric Ross (71 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL